I'm beginning to lose patience. I know that guitar takes your whole life to get good at, and i'm willing to go that far, but still... would be nice with some approval from your constant practice.

I don't know how long i've been playing guitar now, because I haven't counted. I think it's about 2 weeks - 2 months total.

My problem is pure psychological I think. I don't think I need help with learning anything, because one thing that actually surprised me ALOT when I started guitar, was how everyone was telling me to get a teacher and i'd only start to understand anything the first few weeks. I don't know if it was an exaggeration, because by the 2nd week, I knew just about all the general theory (THEORY, not practical).

To make this thread alittle goal-based; let's say I have 3 friends, who all are good at instruments. They all want me to join up in a band. We have a drummer, a bassist and a rythme-guitarist. Then there's me...

Since I really want to make music (f*ck the money or fame) with a guitar, I am so hyped about this band, that I start to practice even more. However, I don't feel i'm getting anywhere.

It is important for those of you who reply, not to turn your respondes into "Get a teacher" or "You got it all wrong"'s. All I want to know is really, where to go.

I'm supposed to be a lead guitarist, and I like music such as Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, GNR, All that Remains, The Human Abstract, In Flames, Disturbed, etc.

If anyone would give a sort of "guide" to what things to study/practice to become a lead guitarist like the guys from those bands, it would be highly appriciated. I know that you have to study scales, and i've already memorized the pentatonic scale like the back of my hand (it was easy, of course... Not so many notes involved obviously). But I can't seem to get my finger-speed faster. I can alternate pick (doesn't make it faster) when playing scales, but other songs are just downward strumming.

If anyone could give me something that will improve my... Hmm... "Guitar technique"? I would love you for all eternity. :] Thanks upfront.
i say learn some penatonics for soloing and barred chords, and also getting a teacher would really help trust me.
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
you haven't been playing long enough to be a lead guitarist, or in a band...no offence. walk before you run or you'll trip and bust your teeth...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
2 weeks is a pretty short time man, you need to first find you're own swing to playing, you will find it, after that just practise alot, i've been playing bass for about 3 years though 4 months intensive, i found that i could play a lot more stuff i though i could, and i play maiden orientated stuff, not 3 note songs.
I play guitar too and i'm pretty bad but good enough for rythmm guitar in a pretty good band, all because i indentified my own playing style.
Okay, yes a teacher would definately help, they can pinpoint problems and give you specific advice.

Do not force your practise, if you dont feel like playing then you're not gonna get better. You must be relaxed and let the music flow.

Because you like metal you're gonna have to be very good, and that takes years to do, i wouldnt try and start writing music yet but try learning the songs and getting the basic techniques down like, palm muting and alternate picking.

For metal and shred stuff the harmonic minor scale is good, and also the major scale can be made to shred.

Keep practising but dont force it and you will improve, focus on learning songs in the style of the music you enjoy and you can take ideas from those songs for your own music.

I hope you do well man
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Okay, yes a teacher would definately help, they can pinpoint problems and give you specific advice.

Do not force your practise, if you dont feel like playing then you're not gonna get better. You must be relaxed and let the music flow.

Because you like metal you're gonna have to be very good, and that takes years to do, i wouldnt try and start writing music yet but try learning the songs and getting the basic techniques down like, palm muting and alternate picking.

For metal and shred stuff the harmonic minor scale is good, and also the major scale can be made to shred.

Keep practising but dont force it and you will improve, focus on learning songs in the style of the music you enjoy and you can take ideas from those songs for your own music.

I hope you do well man

Thanks dude, this was all I needed.

Don't need anymore advice.