Ok, so basically I'm a bit new to these boards(been here a while just never visited the forums). I've only been playing guitar for a little over one year, but I'm really confused when it comes to soloing. I know some scales, I know how to do hammer-ons/pull offs,sweeping(not really great at it yet), tapping, sliding etc.

What I need help with is (be prepared to be bombarded with questions) pretty much how to improve on soloing. I need help with a few things though aswell.

1. I have no idea what scales are good for soloing, I'm assuming that pentatonics and ascending and descending? So any of your scales that you use for soloing would be helpful.

2. Tapping, probably my favorite thing to do on the guitar, however I need some major improvement, like I can tap at a good pace pretty evenly but how do I tap quickly and in different places.(maybe some exercises)

3. Speed picking is easy but I am confused about how to speed pick and tap on the fretboard at the same time...

Ok, guys I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Bobhuffman
1.Any of them
2.Learn to see scales across one string, then learn your chord theory. You usually tap in chords
3.lul wut?
AWWW. i remember back in those days. looks like we got a bit of im a noob but well good desaese.

"speed picking is easy"

and you can sweep.? alrite not that well but still .

a little over a year.

look ive been playing 3 and i can tell you i aint that confident unless ure the next malmsteen i doubt it.

take your time man
Learn the box pentatonic scales and then apply them to different keys. You can change the key by changing the root (first note) of the scale but the paterns stay the same. If you haven't already done so practice alternate picking. The best way to improve your soloing skills is to improvise of a song. Just pick a song find out what key its in and improve over it. Hope you find this info helpful.
Quote by Bedhead03
AWWW. i remember back in those days. looks like we got a bit of im a noob but well good desaese.

"speed picking is easy"

and you can sweep.? alrite not that well but still .

a little over a year.

look ive been playing 3 and i can tell you i aint that confident unless ure the next malmsteen i doubt it.

take your time man

Not exactingly what I would call helpful. And no I'm not calling myself the next malmsteen basically I have no Idea how to turn individual techniques into a solo(in other words im saying that I suck)...

Thanks dfinch10 that was quite helpful.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way speed picking is easy if your just picking on the same string...
Last edited by Bobhuffman at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by Bobhuffman
Not exactingly what I would call helpful. And no I'm not calling myself the next malmsteen basically I have no Idea how to turn individual techniques into a solo(in other words im saying that I suck)...

lul ok i guess i was a bit harsh.

just learn any scales in a bunch of keys and like what has been said above find a song or riff and solo on top. u will develop timing aswell then.

and copy other peoples phrasiong not there notes but their phrasing then tailor it to suit you. lets face it nothing in music is priginal. kirk hammet steals stuff from hendrix so u can steal it from him
Ok, sounds interesting sorry I got kinda angry, its just kinda frustrating sometimes.
oh yer and if you really wanna solo hard. take your advice from dimebag. he was born to shred
Ok thanks man, oh and Macabre_Turtle thanks I think I get what you said about tapping xD
learn the modes and those can be applied to all aspects (scales, keys etc.)
ex: E phrygian-A natural Harmonic

Oh and tapping and speed picking? Im pretty sure that is impossible to do both at the same time.
You cannot tap and speed pick at the same time. Both of them require the right hand, ergo it's impossible. Unless you mean something like picking one string and playing legato at the same time...

Other than that listen to macabre turtle.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Try using a thumbpick for alternate picking and sweeping stuff, and tapping with all your fingers.
Yeah the speed picking was poorly worded I was talking about speed picking w/ hammer-ons (wrote tapping dunno why)

Alright looks like I got some work to do, thanks guys.