I wrote a really cool sounding little chord progression, but I'm wondering which key it's in and which scales to use. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, too.

The chords are D minor with a flat 3rd, (so D, A, and E), C maj, Bb maj. Then, I play a little lick with notes that goes "G, F, E" (not chords). What would this be in? Also, could I solo with the blues scale? Thanks for help, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
Quote by bbcstw
I wrote a really cool sounding little chord progression, but I'm wondering which key it's in and which scales to use. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, too.

The chords are D minor with a flat 3rd, (so D, A, and E), C maj, Bb maj. Then, I play a little lick with notes that goes "G, F, E" (not chords). What would this be in? Also, could I solo with the blues scale? Thanks for help, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

sorry to be kinda unhelpful, but a flat third is what makes D minor minor and not major.
Quote by bbcstw

So your chords are Dm - C - Bb???

typical D minor progression:

Use these scales:
D minor
D minor blues
D pentatonic minor

there are other scales that could work, but for you I recommend just these for starters.
better to start with 1, and then learn to make some music with it before exploring the many other possibilities.

btw the notes in your Dm chord should be DFA
shred is gaudy music
Quote by t3hjames
My limited musical knowledge seems to think that E minor works... but i may be (and probably am) wrong

that wouldn't really work out. Its a straight up D minor progression.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
sorry to be kinda unhelpful, but a flat third is what makes D minor minor and not major.

That's not what he meant. A regular flatted third would take D's third, F#, and make it an F. He said the chord is "D, A, E," and so what he meant is that the third is double-flatted. However, it would not be transcribed as an F# double-flat, because E is in key- it's the second scale degree. Thusly, because the note is played an octave higher, he means to say the chord progression is D9-C-Bb.

Quote by t3hjames
My limited musical knowledge seems to think that E minor works... but i may be (and probably am) wrong

E minor would only work if the song was played in Dorian mode, which the poster did not indicate. GuitarMunky seems to be on the ball with the scales he suggested.
Quote by GuitarMunky
So your chords are Dm - C - Bb???

typical D minor progression:

Use these scales:
D minor
D minor blues
D pentatonic minor

there are other scales that could work, but for you I recommend just these for starters.
better to start with 1, and then learn to make some music with it before exploring the many other possibilities.

btw the notes in your Dm chord should be DFA

I think what he means is he's flattened the minor 3rd, not flattened the major 3rd
Quote by t3hjames
I think what he means is he's flattened the minor 3rd, not flattened the major 3rd

Then its a sus2.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Then its a sus2.

He's playing the 2nd an octave higher, so it would be a Dadd9. That's a correction from my previous post, when I said it was a D9, because he did not include the seventh.
Quote by Donswald
He's playing the 2nd an octave higher, so it would be a Dadd9. That's a correction from my previous post, when I said it was a D9, because he did not include the seventh.

after reading what you said earlier, I'm guessing he meant a D minor chord with the "3rd" of the chord flattened from where it normally is.....

Dsus2

----5----------------------------------------------
----7----------------------------------------------
----7----------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

for add 9 you would have the 3rd as well....
shred is gaudy music
Yeah, sorry I'm not the best with chord names. I meant DAE, and I said Dminor flat 3rd because I wanted you to know I was playing in the 1st position of D minor, but with the E on the high E, not the F. Sorry that wasn't clear. Yeah, I guess it's a Dsus2. Thanks
And so D minor is the key? I'll probably use D minor blues for scales. Thanks a lot for all the help!
Quote by bbcstw
Yeah, sorry I'm not the best with chord names. I meant DAE, and I said Dminor flat 3rd because I wanted you to know I was playing in the 1st position of D minor, but with the E on the high E, not the F. Sorry that wasn't clear. Yeah, I guess it's a Dsus2. Thanks
And so D minor is the key? I'll probably use D minor blues for scales. Thanks a lot for all the help!

Yeah, still D minor, and the D minor blues scale should sound fine.
Also D natural minor has the 9th in it (which the blues scales doesnt), so that may work better. You'll have to try them and see what works better for you.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
for add 9 you would have the 3rd as well....

Thanks dude my bad.