Basically, I want to know, how thick do you think one can go, without ****ing the guitar up?

My guitar is an Ibanez s540, floyd rose trem equipped.
I really want to try string gauge 0.012 or 0.013.
I tune to e standard (!).
It's just, lately I've been turning down the distortion alot, and have noticed how more things affects the tone, that you don't notice with lots of distortion, and I didn't care for on clean :p.

I have just enough to get the guitar screamin, and also to get the really high notes to play so called "shred".

So what should I do?
I really want to try 0.013, but is it impossible?
The lowest I have ever been was 0.010...so no experience XD.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You can't use think strings like that in standard tuning without needing a truss rod adjustment.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

i wouldnt put 13's on if you're going to play in standard. unless you have robot hands, it will be really tough to bend notes. also, you will definitely need a big truss rod adjustment and have to re-do the innotation on your guitar. 12 might be pushing it too
i play an 8 string
You can go very thick and heavy gauge with the right adjustments.

If you know what your doing with your trem, Id say 11/12 maybeee, maybe try the Heavy Bottom skinny top ernie balls? makes bending easier but still keeps the sustain and tone of heavy strings where it counts. e, G and B are standard 10s and then D, A and E are 30, 42 and 52 so

(10,13,17,30,42,52) to neaten things up.

The 0.022 G string on the beefy slinky 11's ive been using is what really gets me though, and thats on a 24.75 scale one step down, I cant imagine it would be nice at all on a 255 in standard.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Last edited by GenderConfusedJ at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by loganrocksabass
i wouldnt put 13's on if you're going to play in standard. unless you have robot hands, it will be really tough to bend notes. also, you will definitely need a big truss rod adjustment and have to re-do the innotation on your guitar. 12 might be pushing it too

I do have robot hands.

Gonna see what can be done.

edit:

New question, how low could you possibly go on a baritone, but trying to tune it to standard?

You would have to go pretty low right?

....and yes, I know bendings a bitch, I'm just playing here

edit again: after running it through my mind, it's impossible. The string would end as a stick. No harmonics, and odd vibrations. If it were even possible, because the neck would probably also say no

trying some 0.011s
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Last edited by PhantomNote at Jun 12, 2008,
ive got .012s and they work great! I havent done a truss rod adjustment or anything and it seems to be working fine? I've got some .013s im going to put on after these ones are done
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by IronNecrosis
ive got .012s and they work great! I havent done a truss rod adjustment or anything and it seems to be working fine? I've got some .013s im going to put on after these ones are done

You should probably do something with that truss before the neck snaps.

Oh yeah, my real input: You can put probably up to 13's on it, but go with 12's first. And definitely get a truss rod and intonation adjustment. I use 12 gauge chrome flat-wounds myself, and I love them. They're not great if you're expecting to bend though.
Last edited by GreekRockr9 at Jun 12, 2008,
hahaha...Just dont try to tune some Zakk Wylde Boomers to standard...lol

seriously..Most thicker strings are used because when u tune a thinner string
down to a lower tuning they like to turn into spaghetti. Thicker strings allow you
to tune down to lower tunings and keep the proper amount of tension to play
without smacking the frets all day...

Please tell us why you want 13's...it may not be the strings...but something
else you can do to achieve the sound..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett