I got a peavey Valveking and I was wondering putting a overdrive in front of it, will it make it sound more metal? I kinda don't understand that kind of concept so...Explaining would be good.

Thanks
Last edited by life_777 at Jun 12, 2008,
The idea is that you set the gain on the OD low and the output volume high so what you're essentially doing is putting a hotter signal into the amp, this produces more gain without making the signal muddy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The idea is that you set the gain on the OD low and the output volume high so what you're essentially doing is putting a hotter signal into the amp, this produces more gain without making the signal muddy.

So for example..You would put the Peavey volume to maybe 3 or so and the Od to like 2?
I honestly prefer the Gain at 0 and level 10 with my gain between 5-7 on the valveking...

And to answer your question.. adds more line level signal and overdrives the preamps a little more and tightens things up quite a bit.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I honestly prefer the Gain at 0 and level 10 with my gain between 5-7 on the valveking...

And to answer your question.. adds more line level signal and overdrives the preamps a little more and tightens things up quite a bit.

I personally like putting my gain about 8-10. I was thinking about buying a SD-1. But what settings and volume do I put on it? If I ever bought one...
Quote by life_777
I personally like putting my gain about 8-10. I was thinking about buying a SD-1. But what settings and volume do I put on it? If I ever bought one...

Yea, Its all prefrence and what gear you have really when ya get down to it.. I tried the 8-10 route and found it a tad to muddy for my taste. But im also running Emg 81's and boosting them with a Bad Monkey..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea, Its all prefrence and what gear you have really when ya get down to it.. I tried the 8-10 route and found it a tad to muddy for my taste. But im also running Emg 81's and boosting them with a Bad Monkey..

Thats cool. Yea once I get my Od some day I will Experiment. Nice Gear
Quote by IbanezPsycho

I already asked in another thread but can u give me some settings? Also does yours hum as muhc as mine? It's only this pedal thayt does it.
TS, in short form, yes it will give you more gain. Turn down the gain on the pedal, turn up the gain on the amp.
Quote by babyboo666
TS, in short form, yes it will give you more gain. Turn down the gain on the pedal, turn up the gain on the amp.

Hehe Nice and simple. Thx
Turn down the gain on your amp when you boost it... like 1/3'd
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Quote by Caseyman
Turn down the gain on your amp when you boost it... like 1/3'd

Not if you want more gain out of your amp to begin with, that only applies if you want the OD to tighten your tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm just trying to help.. its gonna tighten up your tone either way, but you still don't need that much gain to play any style of music unless you're trying to cover up gobs of slop.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Quote by life_777
Thats cool. Yea once I get my Od some day I will Experiment. Nice Gear

Yup experimentation is the best option... and thanks..

Quote by dustyboy316
I already asked in another thread but can u give me some settings? Also does yours hum as muhc as mine? It's only this pedal thayt does it.

Already answered and yes it hums like a motha f*cka lol just buy you a good noise gate like a Isp Decimator and your set...
I'm working on the same thing too TS. Building a Tubescreamer for myself to throw in front of my VK.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)