Hello everyone,

I did some searching and couldn't find much information relating to why a beginner (someone who would like to play guitar) should start with acoustic or electric? I have various music tastes, but primarily rock bands/alternative such as: goo goo dolls, metallica, linkin park, nirvana, system of a down, etc. Some people recommend acoustic to strengthen your fingers and better your overall techniques; however, can this not be done with electric as well?...Really not sure which route to venture and benefit me in the long run since I do like both with a preference towards electric

Thank you for any relevant opinions
Well I think it's more preferance, I don't like acoustics so much cuz theyre so big and hard to get my arm around. I suggest starting with one though so you can do both easyer
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Start with an acoustic, then move onto an electric. You'll be happy you did in the long run. When you play electric you get sidetracked with effects and electronics. Get a cheap acoustic, focus on your playing and you'll be glad you did it in that order. Plus you can save up for a good electric then.
i started with an acoustic and played it for almost 2 years before i got an electric. personally i think it was too long but i would start with an acoustic for say 5-8 months to get used to the feel, develope good technique, strengthen your fingers, you know stuff like that. that deosnt mean you cant own an electric though. just dont go crazy with new stuff and gain until you kind of know wat your doing. itll destroy your technique
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Starting on an acoustic is a good idea because the thicker strings allow you to form thick callouses early on. If you practice on acoustic your fingers will get stronger faster than practicing on an electric due to the considerably thicker string gauges (normal gauge for electrics is 10 while most guitars come out-of-the-box in 9's, while acoustics are generally 12s or 13s).

You should start out on acoustic and then buy yourself an electric. However, if you're short on cash and can only get one, get an electric.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Thank you all for the clarifications, very much appreciated! Not short on cash and looking at the acoustic Guild GAD F40, but haven't seen many reviews of it other than GAD series is reputable...
Start with whatever style you want to play. I started with an electric and I am doing quite well for only about 2 years of playing. Electric is also easier to play with at first because of lighter gauge strings, smaller body, and lower action.
but acoustic is harder to press the strings down, so it strengthens your fingers more.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
I got an electric first, then a week later got an acoustic. If you are not sure what you want or short on cash or not even sure you will stick with it, get an acoustic. That way you don't have to buy the amp, cables, suckered into pedals before you know what to do with them...plus an acoustic will let you change tunings easier, will be more forgiving on little mistakes. If you do it right it will help you learn chords first...

I actually play my acoustic more often the electric just cuz it's easier.
In the Valley of Vung
Just make sure if you get an acoustic make sure it's set up properly! Well that goes for any guitar.

I bought an acoustic 3 years ago and I could never get past the standard open chords. So in that time I've noodled on it but never really progressed far. This year I decided to get serious and started back with getting the basics down. I changed the acoustic to lighter gauge strings (10's) and that helped a lot but I still found it difficult. I went and got an electric with an awesome setup along with an amp and in 2 months I think I've progressed nicely and am enjoying myself! I'm not finding chords or anything like that particularly hard which allows me to concentrate more on technique.

I still can't play the acoustic, the action is too high for my small hands and fingers. I'm going to take it to the luthier to see if it can't be lowered some. I think the original setup was a rush job but what did I know back then.

I will say with the electric, I do get caught up in the amps, effects and whatnot but that keeps me interested in it even more. When my fingers are sore from "real" practicing I'll do some experimenting with different sounds or some tricks like harmonics and whammy bar stuff. I'll even try to figure out some hard riff occasionally even though it's way above my ability. I figure as long as that guitar is around my neck and I'm doing something it's only going to help in the long run. But I have to be mindful not to get too caught up and when my hands are relaxed again, back I go to progressions, stretching exercises, scales etc... whatever I was supposed to be working on.
Quote by C3ntury
Hello everyone,

I did some searching and couldn't find much information relating to why a beginner (someone who would like to play guitar) should start with acoustic or electric? I have various music tastes, but primarily rock bands/alternative such as: goo goo dolls, metallica, linkin park, nirvana, system of a down, etc. Some people recommend acoustic to strengthen your fingers and better your overall techniques; however, can this not be done with electric as well?...Really not sure which route to venture and benefit me in the long run since I do like both with a preference towards electric

Thank you for any relevant opinions

As many have mentioned or will mention, this is really based on personal preference. Choose the guitar that you see yourself playing in a year from now, not the one that everyone thinks would be better for you. Sure, picking an acoustic may be better off in the long run, but that's assuming that you stick with it. Again, if you're more interested in playing acoustic, go for it, I sometimes wish I did. But if it is possible, try to arrange so that you can have both sooner than later, try not to look at things too rigidly, but acknowledge the limitations of both types of instruments. Understand what your motivation is for buying a guitar, if you're set on playing pinch harmonics, playing sweeping arpeggio runs, and distorted tone, it probably wont do you much good to get a nylon string acoustic.
It doesn't make any difference. Don't listen to these guys about one being better than another. Both have pros and cons. The ideal situation is to have both. Be sure to get your guitar setup, regardless of what you get.
Choose the guitar that you see yourself playing in a year from now
Understand what your motivation is for buying a guitar, if you're set on playing pinch harmonics, playing sweeping arpeggio runs, and distorted tone, it probably wont do you much good to get a nylon string acoustic.

+1
See I never understood the advice of starting with an acoustic cause its harder to play so an electric will be easier later. To me thats the equivalent of telling some one who just started working out to start with the heavier weight and then the lighter ones will be easy.
Start with the one that fits your style of Music and that you enjoy playing I have both and on the rare occasions when my electric is not available I have a harder time motivating myself to play my acoustic because it does not fit my style.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Quote by Chiller2

Start with the one that fits your style of Music and that you enjoy playing I have both and on the rare occasions when my electric is not available I have a harder time motivating myself to play my acoustic because it does not fit my style.

I couldn't agree more. If you want to play rock, why take the acoustic detour to build strength, just get a Shreadneck or something. Seriously, the most daunting thing a guitarist faces in the begining is the motivation to practice and learn, not finger strength. Buy the guitar that supports the style of music you want to play, then buy more as the need arises.
Thank you for the added inputs I guess I have some thinking to do first...
Okay dude listen up. I started with an Aria acoustic guitar, and I sucked. It wasnt a bad guitar, actualy pretty good for a first one. Once I moved on to a Electric, my playing greatly improved. I found that you had to press down on the frets harder to make sound, which when i first started made it almost impossiable to play cords (or my fingers killed me, then i got calises lol) Playing an electric is much easier, thus making learning easier.
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
I started out on an electric, but now I find myself wanting to play an acoustic to gain better finger strength and technique (I'm just sloppy because I've gotten used to the lighter gauges and lower action).
If I could do it over again, I'd probably start on an acoustic then move to an electric in addition to the acoustic after 6 months or so.