I have never written lyrics before, but I have sat down at with paper and pen and tried. I got no where. I dont no where to start. Can anyone tell me where to start and just give me some tips. I am defintinely not short on things to write a song about.
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
the way i do it is to have my band play parts of the song over and over again while i sit in a corner.. There i will just try and get a general tune in my head.. not any words.. once i have that tune, i write words that fill up the spaces. once you have the subject, it shouldn't be hard at all.. then a lot of the time i'll type up the lyrics that night, and make little revisions, or sometimes even change whole parts of a song to make more sense..
Find something that you're either enjoying or not enjoying in life in general.
Find some inspiration.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
That would work if i had a actual band. Me and my friend are trying to start a band, so we have a bassist and a guitarist, and maybe a potential drummer. I am just trying to start writing lyrics for potential songs, the music will come later.
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
"Okay I need some Major tips."

okay, here's one:

Please read the rules in the announcement at the top of this forum.

you will probably get some ideas from the threads in the Techniques subforum here in S&L
you likely won't need to start a new thread, either. just read and post in similar threads there if you need more info on what has already been discussed.

this thread will be closed.

*reported*

EDIT: thanks jamie, i see you already handled this.
I'll leave this post, as it has additional info to help TS get started doing things properly.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i find it easier to write lyrics when im doing other things because i dont like thinking too much about what im writing.

I write it all down on a pad and just do what comes naturally, once its scribbled down roughly (most of the lyrics not making much sense) i type it up into word and edit it while i type it, making it much clearer and making sure it all fits.

The key to it really is not to think too much about writing good lyrics, just let it come naturally and know when something sounds cheesy and when it sounds cool.
whatever you do, don't force yourself to write lyrics cause they will always be terrible. Usually, i have an idea in my head for weeks at a time with nowhere to start, but randomly inspiration comes to me and the song basically writes itself. I suggest that you keep some form of notebook with you as much as possible just in case. just don't TRY to write good lyrics cause they will never come out that way. Inspiration WILL come, just give it time. In the meantime, try to think of topics that would be good to write about. Maybe a bad relationship, maybe a good one, maybe your friend is having problems. Idk, just think of topics and inspiration will come. That's all the advice i can give.