hi,
ive been playing for about a year now and as i've been progressing to more and more difficult songs ive noticed that i let every string ring until i pick it again or let it stop.
My question is what is the most simple way of "killing" the string?
palm mute
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
^ If you don't want that kind of sound though, just use your palm to mute the strings after you hit the note.
Quote by Blue?
hi,
ive been playing for about a year now and as i've been progressing to more and more difficult songs ive noticed that i let every string ring until i pick it again or let it stop.
My question is what is the most simple way of "killing" the string?

Well there are at least three ways of killing the string after you've played it:

1 - Fret hand muting: you basically release the notes with the fret hand when you're done playing them, this has a downside in that on certain frets it can keep ringing because it creates natural harmonics, this is a particular problem if you're playing at the 12th or 7th frets.

2 - Pick hand muting: lay your hand on the strings near the bridge when you want the note to stop ringing, this can be a bother if you want to keep a flow going with your picking hand so in some situations it's not really appropriate.

3 - Pick muting: basically after you've played a note you put the pick against the string again without actually picking the string again. This is most often combined with pick hand muting to create a very staccato effect but it can be time consuming if you want to keep a flow going again.

Generally the most effective way is a combination of 1 and 2 but those are your basic options.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.