I like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Children of Bodom, All That Remains, basically really good metal. I wish to solo to metal, and I've been teaching myself for 4 1/2 years, and it's time I started working on solos. I mean I've got blues and basic rock down, but I want metal, but metal seems to hard to improv on. So basically, I'm looking to improv to metal riffs.
I got some good guitars, yo.
im sorry if this doens't help too much but the thing i did that helped me a bit was just listen to lots and lots of heavy metal music and learn some of the signature licks. i'd memorize the licks and just play em over nad over and over again. eventually they started to show up in my playin. that might help. maybe some new scales too such as the harmonic minor and pryghian (sorry i cant spell that ha). hope that helps
Work on your phrasing as well; look into the harmonic minor scale for an interesting choice of notes. Most importantly, keep listening to metal if that's what you want to play.
Keep in mind that if you only listen to metal, you mostly only be able to play things that other metal bands play. That can limit your originality.

Listen to blues, jazz and the likes. If you really listen to it, they have some very cool stuff. Sure, you might not like it, but at least try to pay attention to their guitar work and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Also, listening to some piano can really give you another notion of music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Theory lesson in sig.

lol, do you never get tired of posting that? xD

There should be a sticky thread 'Anyone have ANY theory questions check bangoodcharlotte's sig' haha

EDIT: and to reply to the TS, learn songs like master of puppets, not too hard, and has a huge solo, shouldn't be a problem if you've been playing for 4 1/2 years.
Last edited by \m/Gaz at Jun 13, 2008,