Im having problems with an electric guitar.
My E string and my A string are giving me a loud rattle when i pluck open, first and second fret.(without an amp). New strings, new guitar. The old string E didnt rattle, and i broke the A string while tuning it. I left the guitar with only the low E string and the D string on overnight.
I noticed that the tunning pegs where lose and i tightened them, and it helped, a little, but there is still a loud rattle.
I know nothing about electric guitars, its my first. Ive been playing for a little over a year but on acoustic. I dont even have an amp yet, i was planning on borrowing my friends until i saved up for a good one.
i really dont know what to do and im kind of freaking out.
Well for starters what type of guitar is it...i wont bash you or anything if its not a good one, we all started out on crap.
EDIT: try to isolate the buzz, is it coming from a fret, or the pick-ups rattling, or the bridge etc. Also if the buzzing doesnt prevent the string from ringing out (stops the strings vibration), nor it doesnt carry through the amp, then it doesnt really matter all that much.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Last edited by Lamrick21 at Jun 12, 2008,
Is it a rattle or a buzz? And is the sound louder near the neck or bridge?
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
its your tuners, i had the same thing before - replaced with some nice grovers, gone

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
um, its a fender toronado Gt hh.
its actually a rattle...
its up on the first two frets of the top two strings.
Quote by bake n baker
lol yea man
i started out on a first act

Ha i started out on a Hondo. Its kinda like a honda, except unreliable, and cheaper.
Quote by razalas91
um, its a fender toronado Gt hh.
its actually a rattle...
its up on the first two frets of the top two strings.

hmm, well it sounds as though either your action is too low, or your nut is, or maybe you just need to adjust your truss rod, though in most cases a buzz will come from the mid to higher frets if its the truss
EDIT: though there is always a chance im wrong.
Last edited by Lamrick21 at Jun 12, 2008,
how do i know how much to change the action? it seems like the easiest fix.
buzz on the first few frets mean truss rod adjustment. if it buzzes in open strings, the nut might be a problem. since you left it without an A string overnight, there was a change in tension in your neck. dont mess with the action. adjust the truss rod your self or take it to a tech and let them do it. cheers.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC