So.. I decided I REALLY want a JEM.
Unfortunately.. I don't have 2300 CAD
I DO however, have about 1200, and ALOT of free time, so i decided to build one!

Prob is.. my parents need to give me permission, which i'm pretty sure they will.

So Here's the idea

ebay body, Basswood, RR
ebay neck, Ibanez wizard (unfortunately i can't find a vine of life one, but that's okay, they're overrated:P)
Bridge: Either an actual lo-pro, or if it can fit in the pre-routed body, an OFR, cuz they're cheaper and i trust them more
If i can afford them, Sperzel Locking tuners, just cuz it's soo much more convenient to restring
Pups i can't decide on; i want to mix and match , most likely all passive. I was thinking an EVO in the bridge, but other then that i'm open to suggestions; I'm looking at something excellent for warm acoustic like cleans in the middle, and something maybe a lil jazzy in the neck.

few questions to start with:

1) is an OFR a direct swap for the stock JEM bridge?
2) When finishing, how do I do the monkey grip?
3) Thinking of doing a swirl finish (actually pretty much decided) i read the tut in projectguitar, and will refer to it, but what kinda of paint should i use for the oil based paint?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Good idea. Id love to see a swirl done. As for pickups, maybe put in a Strat middle pickup and a Duncan Jazz in the neck.
EW BASSWOOD? you wanna kill your guitar's tone? that's like putting a squire neck on your build just to save money. Make / buy a decent body. Yes, it will be more expensive, but you'll be glad you did.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
EW BASSWOOD? you wanna kill your guitar's tone? that's like putting a squire neck on your build just to save money. Make / buy a decent body. Yes, it will be more expensive, but you'll be glad you did.

Basswood isn't that bad. And the body wood doesn't affect the overall tone that much especially if you have an active preamp. The EBMM bongo bass is basswood and it's one of the nicest they make along with being extremely versatile.
I disagree. The wood of the body will always affect how the guitar sounds. And although what you said may be somewhat true, there is a reason that many guitars use high quality woods like maple and mahogany and other exotic and expensive woods. My honest opinion is that if you use basswood, you will sorely regret it.
i was worried about that, but unfortunately, the only available body that i can obtain/work with is basswood, other than that the option is poplar, but it's already painted.

If i had acted sooner i could have obtained an alder one, but my exams ended tuesday, and that was the day the auction ended.

I COULD wait it out, but i'm in canada, and i need to buy all the parts and ship them to US to save on shipping, and i need to do this before me + my family goes down to US.

keep in mind that as of now EVERYTHING is in the planning stage. And i want to do this with military precision... so it will take some time before it actually starts.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by ESP_Shreder

are you dumb? basswood is an excellent tone wood. albeit softer than most guitar woods, but that has no effect on tone, it offers a very shred-metal-80's tone. highs and mids all day.
Oh and since i'm asking for help on pickups, i feel obliged to tell you:

I play mostly metal, COB, Megadeth, Opeth, DT, etc. I also enjoy shred ala Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Jason Becker, etc <------ bridge pup tailored to these genres
I also play classic rock, rock and want to be able to handle jazz <------ Neck pup for these
Lastly, It seems that more and more.. I find myself hearing acoustic riffs that i must learn, as well as soft warm arpeggios <------ single coil for these.

and about the wood, i'll wait it out, given the chance i'd prefer alder, or mahogany (already have a mahg. guitar, though.. so looking at change) but if i need to get started sooner.. it's basswood or no wood

BTW no one's answered my q's:

3) Thinking of doing a swirl finish (actually pretty much decided) i read the tut in projectguitar, and will refer to it, but what kinda of paint should i use for the oil based paint?
4) Will sperzels fit in a standard ibanez neck?
5) Pickgaurd or no? (NO CLEAR OR REFLECTIVE ONES END OF STORY)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Paul Gilbert uses guitars equipped with basswood bodies and his tone is nice almost 80% of solidbody Ibanez's are made of basswood and Ibanez has a rep for great sounding guitars so basswood isn't bad there are however better woods but it ain't bad and if this guy want to use it its his build he can do whateva he wants he could make the body out of hardened poop if he wanted to.
bass wood is definitely not a bad sounding wood. It's a perfectly good wood, and i would use it very often if it wasn't so soft.
yeah i noticed those bodies, i'd always considered basswood better then poplar.. and plus i don't like any of those colours.

relax with the wood fellows.. i know my wood.. If i find something better for a similar price i'm sold, but alot of high end ibanez's are made of basswood, so i can live with it.

and PAF pros? never heard them.. any artists in particular? i'll check soundclips in the morning.. i'm sleepy now

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
poplar > basswood or alder any day, but thats just me. GFS pickups are great, dont get anything "rails" from them. you dont see alot of poplar guitars because poplar (the guitar wood) is primarily a north american tree, and the u.s. companies used to use it (peavey did it alot when they were all U.S.A.) basswood is a great wood, but its very soft etc produces high tone, i dont like a high tone, poplars wood consistency relates alot to walnut, although grain pattern and figure is totally different.

check GFS pickups though, the bigmouth/loudmoth pickups are great, very high output, very big-sounding.
Isn't the JEM tremolo a Lion's Claw?

Edit: The Lion's Claw is the cavity, the bridge is an Edge Pro. If you want a tremolo like Vai's, you'll probably have to do a little routing to make it deeper.
Last edited by ticklemeemo at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by ticklemeemo
Isn't the JEM tremolo a Lion's Claw?

Edit: The Lion's Claw is the cavity, the bridge is an Edge Pro. If you want a tremolo like Vai's, you'll probably have to do a little routing to make it deeper.

i think you misunderstood, i know it fits the lion claw, but iunno if it will fit the OFR. The reason i want to get a OFR is because it's cheaper (as far as i know) and more readily availible.

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build

I "think", if the body is routed for an edge pro an OFR is a straight swap, although many consider the edge to be a superior trem.
there is a tut for the monkey grip on project guitar - http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/handle.htm

Swirls are hard! I'm doing a Jem/ rg style and have had go at swirling, really difficult. Check out the forums on jemsite, some guys have put some advice on there.

Hope that may be of help
Paul Gilbert uses PAF pros by dimarzio they are very good for the shred style becuae you can hear the note coming through very clear, they are very popular among shred artists. The dimarzio evolution is used by Steve Vai so you might wann throw one of them in there. As for the single coil slot you may want a dimarzo HS-3
there is a completed cdCAD jem body available on the internet (which is why people sell jem bodies so plentifully). if you can find it, you can contact a local woodshop with a CnC machine and cut it out for about 30 dollars (cost of body wood) to spec.
^ thats interesting. If I had a CnC I couldn't see myself using it for bodies at all. Id use it for the back of necks and inlays. but I really enjoy doing the backs of necks so I don't know if I'd even use it for that. I can just crank out bodies so fast that I couldn't see myself changing my body building over to CnC if I ever got one. Same goes for necks. Another thing I'd do with a CnC is machine metal parts I guess.
Quote by LP Addict
there is a completed cdCAD jem body available on the internet (which is why people sell jem bodies so plentifully). if you can find it, you can contact a local woodshop with a CnC machine and cut it out for about 30 dollars (cost of body wood) to spec.

cdCAD? i don't quite understand

And honestly i'm afraid of doing it from scratch, this is my first build, i think i'll have enough problems just finishing the thing lol. I'll just play it safe and buy a body.

And thx alot to everyone so far. Didn't quite expect this much response

EDIT:

OOOHH you mean like a template? i get it lol. But then i'd be pressed to finding wood.. i could order it i guess.. and still i don't think there are any cnc shops near me. Also from the builds i've seen.. cnc's put atleast one burn on something...

I'll look into it.. if you could be so kind as to post an example of a template?

and would i have to do it myself? or would there be tech's there to do everything?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jun 13, 2008,
no, its a fully completed GUITAR BODY. 3dcad is what i meant, sorry. basically you get a piece of wood, find a CnC, make some sort of mechanism for holding it still, put your wood down, press a button, boom you have a Jem body. its on projectguitar.com somewhere, type Guitar .dwg i ngoogle and look for it.
basswood is not so bad for tone but not the best. However it is horrible stuff to work with - One time all I did was change my strap buttons to strap locks and the stuff just disintegrated. There is a tutorial on project guitar for the monkey grip thought you would of seen it lol.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
When i CNC'd my cavities on my build, (all done by hand, manually cranked) i had no burns, at all. i think it depends on wood and depth and all that fun stuff.

but yeah, no burns for me.
------

Shwiggity.
well in any case, there are no cnc's in my city (mississauga) if anyone know of any, please let me know. I grabbed a phonebook and picked out about eight different stores under woodworking...

and what I meant with the JEM handle was... how do i paint it.. buff etc.

and another q, for the long run, is can i hand buff instead of buying the buffing pads from stewmac? or else do you think i could find them at canadian tire or something?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Apology for double post

But I think i've made some pickup breakthroughs:P:

Bridge: Dimarzio Evolution
Neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz
Middle: Dimarzio SDS-1

opinions? thoughts? love it/hate it?

oh and i found an alder body DEFINATELY getting it if i can

and still waiting for more confirmation that OFR will fit standard Lion Claw routing

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
one thing with the basswood
my friend built a strat copy out of basswood and after using the tremolo for like a week it just ripped out because the wood was so soft
could ahve been a bad piece or he just did something wrong but really its just another reason to think about a diff wood
Quote by MichaelSpeer
one thing with the basswood
my friend built a strat copy out of basswood and after using the tremolo for like a week it just ripped out because the wood was so soft
could ahve been a bad piece or he just did something wrong but really its just another reason to think about a diff wood

Yeah, crap wood or he did something terribly wrong.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by LP Addict
are you dumb? basswood is an excellent tone wood. albeit softer than most guitar woods, but that has no effect on tone, it offers a very shred-metal-80's tone. highs and mids all day.

I have never liked basswood. Yes it is a tone wood, but I don't know how you could say it is an excellent one when i find it in a lot of cheap guitars. I guess it is my obsession with excellent low tones that makes me cry at the use of basswood. I don't prefer it and I am sure I am not alone.

Plus my one basswood guitar dinges like a mofo
Relax, I'm getting an alder body now anyways

Anyways just a question, do you think that sperzel locking tuners are overkill? i mean i LOVE the ease with which you can change strings.. but with a tremelo i'm not changing strings for months at a time...

Also will any old locking nut work with a Lopro?

yes i decided on a lopro.. i'll take the extra $70 for peace of mind...
It only ships to america.. so does anyone know anywhere better(cheaper) i can get it from? I'm searching as hard as i can

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build