I've been playing for a couple of months and have been progressing pretty slowly. I'm not the kind of person who likes to play other people's music so I've been mostly drilling with scales and chords.

Up until a few days ago I was planning on saving up for the summer to get a really nice amp and new guitar. After reading countless threads and doing loads of research I've come to the conclusion that my idea was stupid. I'm pretty sure I should focus on improving my skills before I dump a bunch of money into expensive equipment.

So ANYWAY, I think I should invest my money into things that can improve my practice technique. I've been looking at drum machene/metronone type devices and that finger excercize thing looks nice too.

What would the UG community reccomend for skill improvement for scales/chords?

Also, are their any sites that provide a nice layout for me to get from where I am now (scales and chords) to learning how to do improvizations?

Thanks for you help.
if you suck with timing and rhythm, a metronome isnt a bad idea
but as for improving general skill, its all about perserverance and determination
if you want to play guitar and you enjoy it, then just keep playing and eventually you'll get better
buying ****loads of stuff thats supposed to improve your technique is just pointless, cos eventually you'll rely on it
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
I don't know anybody good that doesn't know a LOT of other band's songs
Well, the only thing to help you get better with scales and chords is (i know, you'll probably hate me for this) SCALES AND CHORDS. Just do them over and over and over again until you could do them in your sleep.

If you wanna practice timing, you probably don't need to invest in a drum machine just yet. I would look into an inexpensive metronome (you could probably find one free online too...) and practice to that.

As for the improvisation, take some pieces of a scale/chord progression, mess around with some timing, and boom there you go. Most of the stuff I've written I created just by dicking around on the fretboard and putting different combinations of notes together.

One more thing: The first 3-4 months is hell. You're gonna feel like you're not getting anywhere, that you suck, and that maybe guitar is not the instrument for you. Trust me, it gets better. There comes a day, completely out of the blue, where it just all makes sense and you just progress every time you pick your guitar up. Keep looking for that day. Good luck man.

---Wow that was really epic
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
metronomes are useful. screw the other stuff.

learning songs is important. learning songs by the artists you like is crucial to understanding what those artists are doing, allowing you to emulate those artists, allowing you to mould their playing techniques into your own playing, and creating your own voice. think of it this way: what kind of author doesn't read and analyze the work of others?
i say stick with the scales and chords because they will make you a better musician over all and with that knowledge of the scales and key signatures and what not you will be able to branch into different instruments...but i do recommend learning other peoples music because you will be able to learn chords and scales from books and the internet but technique is learned from yourself and seeing how other guitarist play will help you create your own technique now im not saying learn only other peoples music just use it to help better yourself
Thanks for all the quick responses, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

Do you all think that tab books are worth investing in, or are the tabs here pretty sufficent?

I have heard some things about the Guitar Grimoire series, I think they have books for exercises, scales, and improvs. Anyone have any information reguarding this or any other book series?

You all do have good points about playing music by other bands and I'll look around for some stuff that I can play. I know there is a forum around here somewhere for beginner guitar songs.
http://www.hotfrets.com/songanator.asp

I found that awhile ago while experimenting with chord progressions. This is a very cool resource that may help you in your compositional work, and some of your learning. It's basically a chord progression generator, which will be really valuable to you in songwriting, and understanding structure of music you like.
Quote by swordsofplague

One more thing: The first 3-4 months is hell. You're gonna feel like you're not getting anywhere, that you suck, and that maybe guitar is not the instrument for you. Trust me, it gets better. There comes a day, completely out of the blue, where it just all makes sense and you just progress every time you pick your guitar up. Keep looking for that day. Good luck man.

---Wow that was really epic

Haha so true.
YEAH
I'm a beginner aswell (2-3months) and it doesn't seem like i'm getting anywhere. I'm learning chords, but mostly just learning riffs and whatever. What i find strange is i can leave the guitar alone for a day or 2, then pick it up, go over what i've been learning and it seems soo much easier to do. Before i couldn't move my little finger for love nor money, but then one day, it just stuck there and i had full control of it. Call me sad, but i was quite excitied when that happen'd lol!

About buying new equipment. I think it depends on what you wanna play. I'm focusin' on learning Buckcherry and System of a Down. My distortion on my Amp is alright, but with my mates pedal, it sounds sooo much better, and it just makes you wanna learn the song because it sounds that much better.

That's my 2cent.