help me out gather some ideas for my demonstration speech is guitar related XD

i have to do a demonstration speech about 4-6 minutes showing how to do something

i wanted to do the topic how to teach yourself how to play guitar just the very basics so people have an idea if they have an interest in learning how to play the guitar

but i have to turn in an outline the thing is i dont know how to plan the outline

so far i have it like this

TITLE OF SPEECH: how to teach You how to play guitar

SPECIFIC PURPOSE: At the end of the speech the audience will know how to read tablature,2,3 (i need something to fill up 2 and 3)

I. Tablature
A. examples
1. James bond theme
2. smells like teen spirit
3. mission impossible

this is the only section i got so far im going to talk about tablature how to read it and play it and the songs are just very simple basic songs that can be use to explain how tablature works

then 2 and 3 have to go like this

II. Technique
A. Different types of techniques
1.fretting
2.alternate picking
3.slide
4.bend
5.vibrato
6.tapping

ok this is my second section
i just go over techniques teaching people very basic idea what is like alterna picking is up and down
slide is this
vibrato is shaking string
and bending is pushing string up

II.( whatever you put for 3)
a.subsection
1.example or thing pertaining to A.

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Last edited by stefan1988 at Jun 12, 2008,
do a section on tunning the guitar, cant play without a properly tuned guitar. to be honest that should be the first section

Tunning the guitar
A)standard
i)tune with tuner
ii)tune by ear and 5th fret method
B)display other possible tunnings

Also a section on chords would do well. (the basics)
how to read chord diagrams and stuff like that.
Tunning the guitar
A)standard
i)tune with tuner
ii)tune by ear and 5th fret method
B)display other possible tunnings

the guys never played a guitar before so if i tell them yeah so u tune this to E they be what the hell is E then i have to explain notes and stuff and they ask how does that work why the 5th fret to tune the other string

the problem with the demonstration speech if people dont understand the idea or learn how to do it then that messes my grade up

i can explain chords though that is pretty good for a section but i have to think how to put them like in the outline but thanks at leats you gave me something to gather some ideas

any more help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
you have to teach them how to tune, its essential. just bring a tuner. its pretty simple.
Otherwise IF they actually pick up a guitar and try to play a TAB and the guitar isnt in tune then A) it will sound wrong and also this opens the doors for them to be able to learn new tunnings. If they wish to learn a song in say Drop D you gave them the basics on tunning so they would be able to move on from there.

but i do agree it would be boring teaching tunning

You could also introduce computer software that helps you learn.

guitar pro, protab etc
Last edited by Pageles at Jun 12, 2008,
Idk man, but here's my outline. Maybe it'll help maybe it won't... But here ya go.

NOTE: You'd have to rework your entire thing if you followed this, Idk if you actually use it, but I'm just putting it out there

Guitar Demonstration Speech

I. Introduction
A. (Play noisy, bad, sounding intro)
1. This is exactly how not to play guitar.
B. Many of you have seen, heard, or played a guitar in your life and have possibly seen an interest in it.
C. Today I’m going to demonstrate to you all how to sound good on the guitar with little experience on the instrument.
D. I’ve been playing guitar for nearly two years now and practice often.
E. In my speech I will explain to you how to, create a good sound, tap well, and do slides and mutes on the guitar.

II. Body Paragraph One (Sound)
A. Creating a good sound is important in sounding good on guitar
1. To create a good sound you’ll need a pick or plectrum.
a. A pick is a small piece of plastic that will make strumming the guitar strings easier and create a more aggressive sound.
2. Another key aspect in sound is distortion or overdrive which creates a crunchy sound.
a. You will often here overdrive in modern music and it is key to sounding good.
b. Also, overdrive often covers mistakes that you make while playing.
3. Now, fretting is another key part essential to creating a good sound.
a. Too properly fret you take one finger, or how many are needed and press the finger(s) in the center of two frets, which are the silver lines going across the wooden neck of the guitar.
b. It’s important to press hard and not too light otherwise you’ll cut off the note or deaden it.

III. Body Paragraph Two (Tapping)
A. Tapping is a technique on guitar that sounds good
1. To tap all you need to do quite simply is tap the fret board.
a. The important part of tapping is to strike relatively hard because there isn’t a right hand helping by striking the strings and otherwise you’ll get a deadened or cut off note.
2. Playing riffs or songs with tapping is not hard however creating a long term clean sound requires some practice.
3. Tapping with both hands can be applied to play faster than you can normally play.
a. The key part of combing tapping is to use both hands which will enivetably allow you to play faster and easier.

IV. Body Paragraph Three (Slides and Mutes)
A. Sliding and muting on guitar two simple techniques that are used in modern music that are simple and sound good.
1. Sliding is a really simple technique that I will explain to you
a. To slide you first fret the 2nd fret on the 2nd string with your middle finger and then the 2nd fret on the 3rd string with your ring finger.
b. Then, strike the 2nd and 3rd strings with your pick hand
c. Now, while still fretting the strings you hold down your fingers and slide up the guitar neck and then down.
d. The simple process is none as sliding
2. Muting is a simple technique that is easy to perform on guitar
a. To mute you can first choose to fret or not a fret a string, but choosing either is relevant and only matters for each feels more comfortable
b. To begin muting take the side of your picking hand and place it on the strings.
c. Move your picking hand towards the bridge, the silver bar object where the strings end, and make sure that the side of your palm feels the string but stops against the bridge.
d. Now simply strike the strings with your picking hand in this position and you’ve successfully muted.
3. Combining muting and sliding can lead to some interesting combinations
a. Sliding followed by muting is a sound often repeated in metal music that can be seen as follows
b. (Play a slide riff and follow it with a mute and open chord)
c. The combination of the two techniques is simple and sounds good for a technique that takes no skill.

V. Conclusion
A. So now, you don’t have to do this.
1. (Play noisy guitar riff hook)
B. You can do this.
1. (Play a decent sound riff that combines three points)
C. So I’ve taught you how to create a good sound, tap, slide and mute on guitar.
D. So next time you pick up a guitar you can play something that sounds nice, without ever having played a guitar before.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Idk man, but here's my outline. Maybe it'll help maybe it won't... But here ya go.

NOTE: You'd have to rework your entire thing if you followed this, Idk if you actually use it, but I'm just putting it out there

I. Introduction
1. This is exactly how not to play guitar.
B. Many of you have seen, heard, or played a guitar in your life and have possibly seen an interest in it.
C. Today I’m going to demonstrate to you all how to sound good on the guitar with little experience on the instrument.
D. I’ve been playing guitar for nearly two years now and practice often.
E. In my speech I will explain to you how to, create a good sound, tap well, and do slides and mutes on the guitar.

II. Body Paragraph One (Sound)
A. Creating a good sound is important in sounding good on guitar
1. To create a good sound you’ll need a pick or plectrum.
a. A pick is a small piece of plastic that will make strumming the guitar strings easier and create a more aggressive sound.
2. Another key aspect in sound is distortion or overdrive which creates a crunchy sound.
a. You will often here overdrive in modern music and it is key to sounding good.
b. Also, overdrive often covers mistakes that you make while playing.
3. Now, fretting is another key part essential to creating a good sound.
a. Too properly fret you take one finger, or how many are needed and press the finger(s) in the center of two frets, which are the silver lines going across the wooden neck of the guitar.
b. It’s important to press hard and not too light otherwise you’ll cut off the note or deaden it.

III. Body Paragraph Two (Tapping)
A. Tapping is a technique on guitar that sounds good
1. To tap all you need to do quite simply is tap the fret board.
a. The important part of tapping is to strike relatively hard because there isn’t a right hand helping by striking the strings and otherwise you’ll get a deadened or cut off note.
2. Playing riffs or songs with tapping is not hard however creating a long term clean sound requires some practice.
3. Tapping with both hands can be applied to play faster than you can normally play.
a. The key part of combing tapping is to use both hands which will enivetably allow you to play faster and easier.

IV. Body Paragraph Three (Slides and Mutes)
A. Sliding and muting on guitar two simple techniques that are used in modern music that are simple and sound good.
1. Sliding is a really simple technique that I will explain to you
a. To slide you first fret the 2nd fret on the 2nd string with your middle finger and then the 2nd fret on the 3rd string with your ring finger.
b. Then, strike the 2nd and 3rd strings with your pick hand
c. Now, while still fretting the strings you hold down your fingers and slide up the guitar neck and then down.
d. The simple process is none as sliding
2. Muting is a simple technique that is easy to perform on guitar
a. To mute you can first choose to fret or not a fret a string, but choosing either is relevant and only matters for each feels more comfortable
b. To begin muting take the side of your picking hand and place it on the strings.
c. Move your picking hand towards the bridge, the silver bar object where the strings end, and make sure that the side of your palm feels the string but stops against the bridge.
d. Now simply strike the strings with your picking hand in this position and you’ve successfully muted.
3. Combining muting and sliding can lead to some interesting combinations
a. Sliding followed by muting is a sound often repeated in metal music that can be seen as follows
b. (Play a slide riff and follow it with a mute and open chord)
c. The combination of the two techniques is simple and sounds good for a technique that takes no skill.

V. Conclusion
A. So now, you don’t have to do this.
1. (Play noisy guitar riff hook)
B. You can do this.
1. (Play a decent sound riff that combines three points)
C. So I’ve taught you how to create a good sound, tap, slide and mute on guitar.
D. So next time you pick up a guitar you can play something that sounds nice, without ever having played a guitar before.

wow thats complex for a beginner, however the pick/finger picking is another good topic to go with i think. Sizes of picks, shape, personal feel.

thats pretty helpful man too bad i cant read from paper but im going to use some of your ideas

II.technique
a.(i have to think something for this)
1.fretting
2.alternate picking
3.slide

I. Introduction

thats a very creative intro

im going to work on it a little more and i post it so you guys can see it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
my masterpiece is complete
just one quick question is the title of my speech fine or is it crappy english if so how can i rephrase it

TITLE OF SPEECH: how to teach Yourself how to play guitar

SPECIFIC PURPOSE: At the end of the speech the audience will know how to read tablature, know a few basic techniques terms and how they work, also they will learn where they can find useful advice or tabs to learn songs

CENTRAL IDEA: learning how to read tablature knowing a few techniques and where to find tabs and advice is the best way to teach yourself how to play guitar

I. Tablature
A. examples
1. James bond theme
2. smells like teen spirit
3. mission impossible

II. Technique
A. Different types of techniques
1.fretting
2.alternate picking
3.slide
4.bend
5.vibrato
6.tapping

III. Tabs and advice
A.ultimate-guitar.com
B.cyberfret.com
C.freelicks.net

thanks for help guys
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Whammy without a whammy bar.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
What about "Teaching Yourself to Play Guitar"?

I did a demonstration speech in high school on how to change guitar strings that went really well.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Teaching Yourself to Play Guitar"?

k great man thanks for helping me correct that english is not 1st language

thanks a bunch guys for the help

im going to use your intro and your conclusion
abovethebridge

hopefully that scores me some extra points XD
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE