So I'm still running a single core processor that came with my Acer Aspire T180 PC.
I upgraded to 2GB of cheap ram ($40 in the end) and added a gforce 8600GT video card to speed up some more.

However when doing video editing I open the task manager and see the processor pinned at 100% which can stay there for 4-5 hours if I am rendering something overnight...

So I was thinking of getting a new processor to help with the video editing.
I probably cant support a Dual core but I know nothing about this motherboard other than it came stock wtih this desktop PC.

So...is a new processor, (even a single core) worth the money?

Edit, current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20GHz
Google the specs by your pc model number.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Okay, since it's an AMD mobo, Intel CPUs are not an option. Everything else seems okay. Just get a higher end Athlon.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by moody07747
any suggestions?

Im great at installing the hardware but am not sure of what is compatible when it comes to buying the gear...

The problem is that the specs isn't giving me enough details. I can only assume that the Athlon lines are compatible with it. Anything higher than that will probably not work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

This should work and is a great choice. Very powerful, duo core, supports hyper-threading and 64-bit operation. Price is damn good compared to Intel's equivalent.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Just make sure your mobo can facilitate that processor.

That's what I was trying to find out.

Acer website says it supports Sempron, Athlon and Athlon Duo Core. So I assume it should work.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Download a hardware monitoring software, such as Everest, so that you can find the exact specifications of your motherboard. I'm not sure when your computer was manafactured, however, it could be on the older socket 939. In that case, it would not be compatiable with the 6000+ X2, which uses the AM2 socket. Also, I'm looking at the cnet page and it says that your computer has a 250 watt power supply. I'm not sure if that is accurate because you shouldn't be able to run a 3500+ and a 8600GT with a power supply that low (I have a 8600GT also and it's a power hog). Either way, I would reccomend upgrading your power supply with that combination.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yamaha FG700S
Boss GT-3 Effects Processor

Squier Stratocaster Deluxe [Retired]
Mitchell MD100CE [Retired]
I actually did upgrade the power supply, forgot to mention that. I have an Antec SP-450 450W in there now. The old one was actually a 300W supply and it did run with my gforce card installed but soon after I thought it would be best to upgrade the power just to be safe...

I did some more looking around and found this page:
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_results.asp?ref=mem&modelid=80040008

Supposedly I have an AM2 socket on the MB so the AMD 6000+ should work fine, right?

The PC is fairly new, I got it only about a year ago and it wasnt an old model at the time.

Edit:
Current memory are two sticks of Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146569
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 13, 2008,
Yes an AM2 socket processor will be perfect for that processor. I would still double check thought as I was looking through google and I think someone mentioned that your computer runs a Foxconn motherboard using a socket 939 processor. You can get Everest at CNET and it's a pretty useful program for hardware monitoring. What type of ram and other hardware are you running though, because a 450 watt power supply might be pushing it a bit. I had cooling problems with my old setup (3800+ X2 / 8600GT / Antec Earthwatts 500) because my video card was draining too much power from the rest of my system.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yamaha FG700S

Last edited by inferno7758 at Jun 13, 2008,
You should be set with that upgrade then. You might want to consider a power supply upgrade since it will secure you for a few more upgrade in the future and might be needed with that setup. However, I don't want to make you spend extra money if you find out everything works fine with your current one. Also, I'd like to also say how lucky you are and how jealous I am because that processor was around $150 a few weeks ago
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yamaha FG700S