For 21 years I've lived in the Midwest, enjoying a small, quiet life, recently playing a little bit of music here and there in the small towns (relatively, in the music biz), and it only today hit me that as long as I am here, I am not actively 'trying' hard enough.

So, on September 1st, I'm packing up and heading to Los Angeles with two friends. I'm taking a year off of school at Ohio State, possibly going to transfer. Got plenty of money saved up, I'm selling all my music equipment here at home so I can buy new stuff there (only things I'm bringing are my Epi Dot [modded so its basically a 335] and my acoustic). One of the friends is a drummer attending music school, so I have the hardest part of a band to find.

I did some website jobs a while back that give me between 6 and 700 dollars of residuals a month so I figure I'll be able to stay afloat with a part-time job, I have 5-6 years of restaurant experience as a cook, server, busser, and bartender, so I'm just gonna go out there and give the Pacific life a whirl for a bit.

Even if I don't make it as a singer/songwriter or band frontman, I feel like I need to live while I'm young.

So yeah, I just bared my soul to UG. Now, to tell my parents, my boss, and all my friends.
Cool. I hope you make it.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Awesome. I plan on going to the LA Area in about 2 years with a couple of friends. Do as much as possible, so I can avoid your mistakes =D

No, but seriously. Good luck with your trip
i admire you, you are my hero today.

good luck, for those about to rock WE SALUTE YOU!!!
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Hell, it sounds like you've already got a pretty good footing as far as a living goes. Why the hell not go for it? Good luck man!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
good luck my friend
i'll root for you!!!
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
good luck! i'm planning on taking a trip to L.A. once i graduate college
Rock In Peace, Ronnie James Dio

my gear:
Charvel Model 4
Custom Superstrat w/ DiMarzios (under construction)
Peavey Vypyr
saving up for a better amp
LA is a tough town. It ain't that easy to find a job here, and part time jobs only go so far. That is, of course, if you live in the nice parts of the area. Compton and Santa Ana ftw.
To thread starter or anyone thinking about making the trip to LA, hit me up about any questions or thoughts. Surely I can help with me having lived in LA my whole life.
Cool. Just know that rent is expensive if you want to live in a decent area and commute is a bitch.
:stickpoke
Man, good luck is all I can say. If you make it big, hook me up with tickets to a show! but seriously, if anyone has any questions or concerns bout the living situations here, ask.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Dude, Seattle is so much cooler for a musician.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
In the city of fallen angels
where the ocean meets the sand
you will form a strong alliance
and the world's most awesome band!

Go for it dude. Great music scene out here. Hit me up when you get out here. It'd be nice to help out another Pit monkey.
Quote by the spiker
I'd avoid the cesspit that is the city if I were you.

Seriously, come to Seattle. SubPop Records is up here, and there is an awesome music scene. L.A. is just a terrible place nowadays and the chances of actually making it there are slim to none.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
well, LA is where my roommate is going to play drums so that's where I gotta go.

I don't have a roommate to make it to Seattle with me. Either way it's a good place to meet some people and a cool life experience. Since I'm pretty inexperienced with the city I need to figure out which neighborhoods are good and which are bad. I'm looking for a place that's relatively cheap, but in an area without a bunch of crime and stuff.
Quote by pratt121
well, LA is where my roommate is going to play drums so that's where I gotta go.

I don't have a roommate to make it to Seattle with me. Either way it's a good place to meet some people and a cool life experience. Since I'm pretty inexperienced with the city I need to figure out which neighborhoods are good and which are bad. I'm looking for a place that's relatively cheap, but in an area without a bunch of crime and stuff.

Stay away from Inglewood. This place is terrible, especially near Centinela Park. There is the nice part of Hawthorne, Torrance, and Lawndale. It depends how close you want to be to a certain area really.
Quote by maggot2011
Stay away from Inglewood. This place is terrible, especially near Centinela Park. There is the nice part of Hawthorne, Torrance, and Lawndale. It depends how close you want to be to a certain area really.

He has a point there but yea, my friends dad owns an apartment complex in Hawthorne, relatively close to the major freeways
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY