Hey guys, new to the forums here. Im having a little problem with my Epiphone Les Paul. I bought it about 3 months ago and been playing non stop. A couple weeks ago I brought it into a local music store to have thicker strings put on, and do what they call, "a fret special". I had 9's on there, now I have 10's. Now when I got it back, the damn strings buzz like crazy. I can see them buzzing on other frets. Not every string does it, but if I pluck them hard enough they will. Its mostly D thru high E that do the buzzing. Maybe Im just strumming them to hard? I dont know. It sound like complete crap though. I messed with the bridge height but it gets harder to play the higher the stings get. Ive brought it back once and they messed with it and it still made that buzzing. It seems like its worse since the humidity went up around here. Any ideas?
just have it set up properly with the strings you're using now. simplest fix.

just have the bridge and action set up correctly and it'll be fine.
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
they scred the nut up and btw 10s are smaller than 9s the bigger the number the smaller what it is is the nut is cut to the same size as the strings 9 in your case and they sit in nice but when hey replaced the strings they used a smaller one so the string moves in the nut witch in turn makes the string buzz try putting 9s back on is that dosent work then its a russ rod or fret issue is thats the case then pm me and i can halp wih that
Quote by dragonofice3
they scred the nut up and btw 10s are smaller than 9s the bigger the number the smaller what it is is the nut is cut to the same size as the strings 9 in your case and they sit in nice but when hey replaced the strings they used a smaller one so the string moves in the nut witch in turn makes the string buzz try putting 9s back on is that dosent work then its a russ rod or fret issue is thats the case then pm me and i can halp wih that

wtf?

10s are smaller than 9s? review your measurements dude. 0.010 inches/0.25mm is bigger than 0.009 inches/0.23 mm.

TS, it's a truss rod problem. there's not enuf relief on the treble side. if it buzzes on open strings, it's a nut problem. if only on the first few frets, truss rod problem. if it buzzes on frets higher than the 12th, it's action problem. is it clear now?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you need more neck bend.

check and repost.

usually when going to a heavier string (like the 10s) the neck should have bowed more anyway, but there's no telling what type of adjustments the tech did with the string change.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ absolutely.

and what ever you do, don't take it back to that tech, find another one.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix