Hi everyone. Im considering an entire rig overhaul. Right now i have that crappy behringer 450 watt lying piece of garbage going into an ampeg 410 classic. Im sick of not being able to be heard well at band practice and my tone being much too metallic. Im really liking the carvin bx1200 the more i read about it, lots of tone customizing and power, and from what ive read it great. I wanna buy an avatar 410 and 212 to go with it. the cabs combined wattage will be 1500 but the head will only put out 1200 when bridged and running on all cylinders. Would this be considered underpowering?
(sorry for wall of text)
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I'm not sure if it is EXACTLY the same with bass....but that just sounds like you are giving yourself 300 wats of headroom. Which is a good thing. You don't need to match your cabinets power handling, just don't exceed it.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I'm with New Crisis on this one--it would be underpowering if they were each receiving some ridiculously low wattage (like 50 watts each or something). I'm currently using a G-K 125 watt piece of crap (soon to be replaced) into an Avatar 212, and I don't think that's underpowering it.

As to why a 1200 watt head... it's good to have that kind of wattage headroom (as in never having to turn up past half), plus you have to be able to rock those huge arenas...

EDIT: I forgot to say that the Avatar cab sounds great even with that crappy amp.
Quote by the_woof
plus you have to be able to rock those huge arenas...

thats done with microphones man.
Just make sure you don't have cabs with a lower wattage than the head, if that happens you'll be overpowering the cabs, and I think theres nothing wrong with underpowering the cabs - stops them breaking afterall.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Yeah I've been considering that same amp, but maybe it's overkill. It's kinda hard to guesstimate how much a certain amount of power will fill a bar or outdoor venue. I wanted it because I want the Carvin 4x10 neo cab and it takes 1,200 watts and most other amps with a decent reputation in that price range actually cost even more and have half that power or less, so what's the point? It's friggin $700. That amp with that cab seems to be about the most bang for your buck AND space that you can get. It's supposed to be louder and lower than the 8x10's.

But yeah I wish I could hear some of these side by side in certian environments, especially outside.

On a related note, it's strange to me how 1,200 watts seems obnoxious even if you're playing for hundreds of people outside, yet that much power just for one person in a vehicle can easily be found in car stereos.
Quote by Rywad
Just make sure you don't have cabs with a lower wattage than the head, if that happens you'll be overpowering the cabs, and I think theres nothing wrong with underpowering the cabs - stops them breaking afterall.

Actually, serious underpower also damages them.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
can someone send me a link to avater cabs cause i always hear about them but can never find a website with them on
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by gm jack

Mostly only if you're clipping at higher volumes. If you have a 1,000 watt cab and your 100 watt amp is pumping out 80 watts clean, then no harm, no foul. If your 1,000 watt amp is receiving 800 watts of highly clipped power from your 800 watt amp, then you've got problems.
Quote by fatgoogle
can someone send me a link to avater cabs cause i always hear about them but can never find a website with them on

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

thanks everyone, looks like ill be ok then. and to answer the question about why i need that much power. My guitarists have recently gotten summer jobs and i wont be surprised that if they both end up with mesa's at the end of summer and i want to be able to keep up volume wise.

And one more question. Would it damage the amp or speakers if i turned down a lot for practice or ran it in the unbridged mode? This would result in a lot less wattage going to the cabs.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Quote by pepsi1187
why would you need a 1200 watt head.. ?

curious

You realize you're in bass forum, right? We love lots of headroom. Basses usually don't as good as guitars cranked, and we need more power to be heard than a guitar. And most bassists use solid-state amps, so there's less percieved volume than a tube amp.

And to TS, I'm looking at the exact same rig. You should be fine. It isn't really severe underpowering.
Quote by gm jack

I was talking about on the scale of a 300 watt head powering a 500/600w cab, not like a 100w head powering a 800w cab.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206