Okay, I want to record covers for YouTube in even better sound quality than they are now. Currently, I Mic my amp, but I heard about direct recording so I decided to try it out. I just plugged my guitar into my amp, then I ran a chord from the PA (Input and Output don't matter in this case) and ran it through a tuner so I can attach a chord that has a larger headphone jack (like a guitar chord jack) on one side and a standard headphone jack on the other side so It would plug into the microphone port on my computer, but when I record for some reason there is this super annoying buzzing sound that is really loud. I can hear my guitar over it, but it is over distorted. Anyway, I was wondering if there is any way to remove the buzzing w/o buying like a pod or a preamp.

_____________________________________Tuner -^___ To Comp. Mic Input

If anyone can help that would be great!!!
Rocket Fuel's New Album Blast Off To Mars is in the works Featuring Sazzy!!
Last edited by Les0Paul at Jun 13, 2008,
Do you think it might have something to do with the tuner getting in the way? Maybe buying a 1/4" to 1/8" converter thing at radioshack would solve the problem. They're only like $3.
could be anything in the chain. Before u go unplugging stuff make sure everything is grounded. I have to ground my laptop to get rid of the annoying buzz. Even when its grounded there's still a little buzz just because my card sucks. Just get some wire and some sorta clips, connect to gear, and then connect the other end to a wall socket screw or something. hope it works 4 u
Quote by Free Time
could be anything in the chain. Before u go unplugging stuff make sure everything is grounded. I have to ground my laptop to get rid of the annoying buzz. Even when its grounded there's still a little buzz just because my card sucks. Just get some wire and some sorta clips, connect to gear, and then connect the other end to a wall socket screw or something. hope it works 4 u

I don't understand what you mean by "Ground"?
Rocket Fuel's New Album Blast Off To Mars is in the works Featuring Sazzy!!
I get a lot of buzzing when i play near my computer. Might it be something like that?
All grounding means is that the electricity has a place to stop. This means plugging into surge protectors or power conditioners.

And your chain is ridiculously complex. I suggest this:

Guitar - Tuner - Amp input

Amp output - Computer. Both the amp and computer are plugged into a surge protector. Furman's a top brand for audio-specific protectors.

Eventually, you'll want a nicer sound card or interface. These can be very cheap.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fraz01
I get a lot of buzzing when i play near my computer. Might it be something like that?

I get the same thing. I know a lot of other people who have the same problem, because the pickups on the guitar catch sound waves from all electronic devices.
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter!