Include Gauge low to high exp: (9-52)
Include Brand
Include any other aspects.

The say why and what you like about the string
Including genre of music is optional but recomended.
Elixir 009-042 Thrash/heavy metal

Actually only my second set of strings, I've only played on the stock strings before. I like these.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I use Elixirs because they last a long time and sound pretty good but it is the only brand that I've actually played. They are coated, but after a while the coating begins to peel on the D string.
Two gauges E standard:9-42 and C standard: 11-52
I play most types of metal.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
I use D'Addarios. I switched from Ernie Balls after I had 3 packs in a row break on me. I don't know if it was a bad batch or what, but it pissed me off.

I've used D'Addarios for a year now and have not broken a string since.

I use gauge .9 on my Jackson Dinky and gauge .10 on my Strat.
Last edited by metalman89 at Jun 13, 2008,
Ernie ball skinny top bottom heavy (10-52)

I play in drop D and I like the sound I get from Ernie Ball. I have yet to find a set of strings I like better.
Quote by metalman89
I use D'Addarios. I switched from Ernie Balls after I had 3 packs in a row break on me. I don't know if it was a bad batch or what, but it pissed me off.

I use the same strings on my Ibanez that you do on your jackson.
D'Addarrio 9-46 (9's on top; 10's on bottom). I like the sound they give, and I can bend the high notes easily because they're nice and thin. The bottom strings sound good especially when playing fast chords.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by metalman89
I use D'Addarios. I switched from Ernie Balls after I had 3 packs in a row break on me. I don't if it was a bad batch or what, but it pissed me off.

No, you didn't get a bad batch. Ernie Ball strings always broke on me, too. They're just cheap is all.

I also use D'Addario XL 10's, have for a few years and haven't broken a single one - ever.

XL's ftw!
I'm a strict D'Addario user. Never had one break on me. I play a lot of thrash and progressive/death metal and I use D'Addario .13's for C standard, and D'Addario .10 for my 7 string, tuned 1/2 step down. I also have an ESP LTD KH-602 and I've got D'Addario .9's on that for standard tuning.
I use D'Addario 11's on a Les Paul DC for gigging, and elixirs for practice (i like junk food and keep forgetting to wash my hands, so the D'Addario's get crust-covered fairly quickly). Good clean sounds on both, haven't broken the elixirs once, and only broke a D'Addario when I tried to bend up 2 full steps. I play prog, metal, and alt. rock

edit: I play mainly in e flat standard
DR Pure Blues 11-50
I use them b/c they are nickel wound and are a lot more durable than the D'Addarios I've had experience with. I've never broken a DR, the D'Addarios used to break on me all the time. I play in Drop C or D standard 99.9% of the time.
I usually use D'addario 11's. But my store doesn't stock thema nymore and so I use the Ernie Balls, I reckon they [Ernie Ball] don't feela s nice as D'addario.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
Quote by metalman89

Me too. D'Addarios are great. Ernie Balls start to sound dull after a few weeks, at least for me, D'Addarios dont.
9's on my Ibanez, Standard E tuning
10's on my Acoustic, Standard E tuning
11's on my Les Paul, Standard D tuning

All D'addario because they're the best strings ive found. Plus you can buy them in bulk packs of 3 or 5 which is handy.
Quote by zhunt1130
Wow I'm the only DR user so far, I'm surprised.

Im a veteran DR user.
used 10s
I switched to 9-42 and stoped getting drs Because they dont make straight up 9s from what ive seen.
Blue Steel mixed and matched. Usually from 11 to 54, but sometimes 12 to 56 or 10 to 54 or anything in between.

On both of my guitars.
Quote by Deffmetal666
Im a veteran DR user.
used 10s
I switched to 9-42 and stoped getting drs Because they dont make straight up 9s from what ive seen.

Yea I've never used less than 11 gauge DRs. I use D'Addario 10s on my PRS.
DR 11 - 52

i play everything

the lower strings sound thick and heavy, which is why i switched to 11's in the first place. also these strings have lasted longer for me than any set of ernie ball or daddarios.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
DR 11 - 52

i play everything

the lower strings sound thick and heavy, which is why i switched to 11's in the first place. also these strings have lasted longer for me than any set of ernie ball or daddarios.

Exactly the reason I switched from D'Addario 10s to DR 11s
I always found 11's to be a bit too heavy for me in standard tuning, so i tried out a set of D'addario 10.5 - 48 + 62 for my 7 string and they felt truly awesome, so i've used those for the past year. My 8 string has a 10.5 - 48 + 64 + 80 on it, never snapped a D'addario i dont think to date.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I always found 11's to be a bit too heavy for me in standard tuning, so i tried out a set of D'addario 10.5 - 48 + 62 for my 7 string and they felt truly awesome, so i've used those for the past year. My 8 string has a 10.5 - 48 + 64 + 80 on it, never snapped a D'addario i dont think to date.

Meshuggah fan or do you just enjoy stealing your bassists strings?
Lol, bit of both really.......but i'm yet to try bass strings actually, i stick with a D'addario 80 gauge single guitar string.
I used to use Ernie Ball, but they sound like trash compared to my D'Addario .10 gauge. I picked them up because my favorite guitarist uses them, and I'm glad I did!
Ernie ball: skinny top bottom heavy (10-52)

i play pretty aggresive and often times when i use other stings (other companies) the low E string breaks at the core and unravels at the contact point with the bridge. I've never had this problem with Ernie Ball.
I'm a DR man
I use 10s, usually Tite-wires but when I want to treat myself I buy some of Dimebag's High voltage strings.
I play classic rock, blues, jazz, and heavy metal.

I play them becuase they have a very warm and full tone, and sound less sterille than D'addarios and last longer than Ernie balls.
Quote by zhunt1130
Exactly the reason I switched from D'Addario 10s to DR 11s

holy crap dude. i did almost the same exact thing. i was using daddario 10's and then switche dup to 11's, now im with DR 11's. haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Im not gonna post what i use, because if you really care what i use, you would search for all the other threads like this and read what i wrote in them.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
gibson les paul .10s

I love them so much it is rediculous
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by chea_man
Im not gonna post what i use, because if you really care what i use, you would search for all the other threads like this and read what i wrote in them.

Don't really care enough.
Quote by carpepax
Don't really care enough.

oh hha, then i will tell you just to spite you!!!!!!!!!!
GHS Boomers. 11s on the fender and les paul, 12s on the gibson. im might go up to 13s.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
DR black beauties in 11. i just love the way that they feel and sound
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
D'Addario EXL140 (10-52).

They are perfect.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by chea_man
oh hha, then i will tell you just to spite you!!!!!!!!!!
GHS Boomers. 11s on the fender and les paul, 12s on the gibson. im might go up to 13s.

Thanks for sharing!

Admittedly, I haven't made a point of trying a lot of different strings. I was a Super Slinky guy for a long time and thought that breaking strings was just part of the game. I got the D'Addario's at work because they were there and I got a killer deal on them. I didn't realize that not all strings are created equal until I tried superior strings.