what are you guys opinions on double string guitar/bass combos... i played guitar before and switched to bass a while back, and im just wondering if it will work(musically) and if any exist outside of the really expensive custom models. im in a band (kinda prog-metal ish) as a bassist, but provide imput on guitar as well, so i think it would work but just want the opinions of others on this
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Well they'll be heavy and inconvenient. There's a few cheap ebay ones that you're probably better off avoiding. I've heard the old Rickenbacker 4080 was pretty nice but they're rare as rocking-horse shit and certainly not cheap.
Quote by smb
I've heard the old Rickenbacker 4080 was pretty nice but they're rare as rocking-horse shit and certainly not cheap.

Even if you can find one you'll have to eventually sell it to pay for the back surgery you'll need after playing it regularly.

I found a guy who sold one in 05 with a staring bid of 7000 USD.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
I personally I hate them, uncomfortable, kinda pointless, I feel if you want to play guitar and bass in the same song, you should switch from a guitar to a bass. Because in no way is both the guitar and the bass going to have the sound you're looking for. The bass may sound how you want it to sound, but the guitar won't or vice versa.
thats cool... it was just an idea i was tossing around, we're a 4 piece with only one guitarist so i figured it might be really cool, but after looking into it, it seems very impractical/expensive... i guess im gonna stick with the removing one to don the other thing for now
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Smart move. My old bass teacher has a vintage one, and its heavy and awkward to play. They just seem so pretentious to me as well.
Quote by anarkee
Smart move. My old bass teacher has a vintage one, and its heavy and awkward to play. They just seem so pretentious to me as well.

Imagine the tapping solos. Arpeggiating over both a bass and a guitar range.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Imagine the tapping solos. Arpeggiating over both a bass and a guitar range

i just came a little bit.
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
i have a plan about how im gonna get a double neck guitar/bass combo.
im gonna buy a large piece of alder or ash and make the body myself, and then slap a p bass neck and a strat neck on it. if you then just add the hardware... viola... a double neck

at least im hoping this would work...

someone please tell me if my ignorance has made me forget something important?

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Some guy was playing a fender one at a local blues/country gig.
It was a P-bass/Strat hybrid, didn't get a chance to ask him about it though. The P-bass sounded like a P-Bass and the Strat sounded like a Strat.
He didn't seem to have much trouble switching from one to the other but he wasn't really doing anything technical. Basic chords, average Walking lines Etc.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?