Hey guys, newb here... (sorta)
So I want to broaden my skills a bit and learn a few maiden tabs.. But I find that steve uses alot of chords in some of their songs and I personally find it impossible to do any of them. Like Having fingers on say 5th fret then 7th fret on the string above etc you get the idea. My fingers just dont bend that far down and even if i can get them there, i cant maintain enough strength to press the string so all i get is a buzz...
Can anyone help me out so i can strengthen my fingers and play these notes properly? Is there something Im doing wrong?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Finger exercises on your bass are one way to strengthen your fingers. Trying to finger odd shaped chords correctly is just a matter of practice, make sure you're hitting the chord correctly so it doesn't sound crappy.

Also, if you wear your bass low, it's obviously gonna make it more difficult to play.

And what do you mean by not getting your fingers to bend 'that far down'?
I mean that with my pointer finger and index fringer doing most of the work, i cant use the rest of them on higher frets... Like with index on 5 i cant have my ring or pinkie on 7 etc...
Sorry i dont know the names of the notes, just started
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Hmm, it sounds like you have very small hands, are you still quite young?(If you don't mind me asking).

The only thing I can think of is doing stretches, to strengthen your hands and have them more flexible. And make sure you're using good fretting technique (thumb behind the neck and all that)

Also, don't be too put down by not being able to play the chord, if you play the root the bass still fulfills it's function. The chord is just there to beef out the sound a bit.
Practise, and encourage the use of all your fingers. Limiting yourself will only make life harder in the long run.

Power chords (what you described) are easy as far far as chords go (won't go into the technicalities of it not being a chord), but they do take some finger strength.

Just keep trying, and eventually you will get it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Im 17, but yeah i do have small hands...
I play with thumb behing the neck, but when on the first 3 frets, I cant help but have it curl around a bit though.
Thanks for your help guys
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

If you're currently playing with your bass low on a strap, I would recommend either wearing it fairly high on your chest or sitting down and playing, it is much easier to play like that compared to having your bass around your knees.

Otherwise, like the others have said, practise is the key.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I have it as low as possible, feel the most comfortable that way overall, and Ive tried having it higher but I think its going to be hard anyways because I have such small hands. that and my bass is so terrible that I have to have it low because the neck/headstock out weigh the body.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
I have it as low as possible.

I bet my life thats your problem. Raise that thing up and practice sitting down with it in your lap. Its really the only way.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
The higher you have it, the less you are supporting the neck (unless you have a bass which neck dives, although it still lessens the effect). Wearing it low will not stop neck dive. But higher up will allow you to spend less effort lifting the neck up.

Nobody will care how high you wear it, but wearing it high makes it easier to play. Especially if you have fairly small hands (I do too, even though I'm 6'6").

Also, what bass do you play?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I used to wear it fairly low too, simply for 'cool'. But wearing guitars low is pretty cliche, you look cooler if you wear it high, shows you don't give a shet.
I play a P bass, but its really dodgy, it has no brand name or serial number, but its just light in general. really wanted to play bass no matter what at the time and it came with a softhard case (hard but soft, Idunnolol)

Ill give it a go with the strap up high, but i play lots more often sitting down than standing up
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Ideally, your bass should be in the same position when you stand or sit.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Ideally, your bass should be in the same position when you stand or sit.

oO Ill have to keep that in mind, thanks man!
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Do spider exercises (google the term, there's tonnes of good links out there). Make these part of your regular routine.

I can almost guarantee out of the regulars, I have the smallest hands and I can do the stretch you describe in your first post, but it took months of doing scales and spider exercises. I can manage a comfortable 4 fret stretch with ease now without minor shifting and I am almost at the point when I can do a 5 fret with no issue from the 5th to the 9th. For me, it was the regular playing of those spider "scales" that helped quite a bit.

And yes, keep your bass higher and the neck angled up.
hey u should try learning somin that moves ur fingers around a lot like the casualties or rancid or any crazy awesome bass song
I haven't read through the entire thread, but when I do power chords (the 5th fret and 7th shape you're talking about), I use my index and pinky, and when I throw in the octave, I barre my pinky. I've been doing this for a while now, and one of my bands has a song that is almost entirely made up chords like that, and I still have trouble by the end of the song, so basically, it's all about practice and endurance.
Is your action high? If you don't have a lot of finger strenght and your action is high it'll make it much harder.
Action on my bass is about 5mm, maybe 6.
I have good speed and accuracy with what I can play, I just cand do power chords, and play flawlessly.. Weird to explain..
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

ull get it with practice, be patient. how long have you been playing?
Ive been playing about 3 months now...
No lessons (too poor )
I am yet to have an amp lol
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.