Page 1 of 2
Who here does any martial arts at all??? I do tae-kwon do, and I have a tournament this weekend, so it got me wondering if many other people on the Pit did any type of martial arts. So..do you???
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
i want to do some, but i dont have time at the moment and theres so many different types i dont know which to go for
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
I do/did karate. Dont know if I want to continue.

I like martial arts
i did Judo for 3 years, during which i also tried Jitsu, and went to an eclectic karate club for a little while. Unforunately, about a year ago, my knees started playing up, so i haven't risked getting thrown around since then. The fact that i had gotten bored with the way the uni club was run really didn't help. Before i came to uni, i was at a club where we did lots of randori and contest, so i learnt a lot by constantly fighting the brown belts (every other senior grade there was either a brown belt or twice my weight...), but here, the club is so packed, that we're stuck constantly doing the same throws week in week out (most of which don't suit me) and doing lots of groundwork (which again doesn't suit, i'm not very strong).

Giving serious through to taking up Wing Tsun kung fu in september tho. Looks pretty awesome.
Brazillian Jiu Jit-Su for a couple years
I always thought the good thing about the guitar was that they didn't teach it in school.
-- Jimmy Page

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
I used to do Kickboxing and Judo until I injured my neck a few years ago. I kinda wanna get back into it.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Shaolin five animal style kung fu (snake, crane, leopard, tiger, dragon if anyones interested) but as im at uni i have to give that up. Found a local Wing Chun so gonna start the next year.
TKD and Karate were my choice of martial arts.

However,I had a problem with tendons in my groin and I got run over. That pretty much put an end to any sport that I did.
Quote by irishman
I do five ancestors kung fu. It's awesome to the max!

ooooo that sounds interesting. Do you animal styles in that? *googles*
I've been doing Goju Ryu Karate for about 7 or 8 years now.
second dan blackbelt grading on the 21st, I'm bricking it.

some of these sounded really fake to me at first..
Quote by Carljenk
**** everyone who died

Quote by whatadrag
necrophiliac
itf taekwon do.im national champ
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
^ Bollox Eggy
What grade/age?

We've been kicked out of TKD comps so often the club just organises its own these days.
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by Eggmond
itf taekwon do.im national champ

ITF tae-kwon do hey??? That's the same as me. And I'll choose to believe you about being a national champ, and got any tips before going into a competition???
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
^dont stand around all day when your waiting cos it will tire your legs outs.also remember your double sidekicks and the classic 'take their guard down with an axe kick then mash their face with your fists'

^ Bollox Eggy
What grade/age?

We've been kicked out of TKD comps so often the club just organises its own these days.

im just after gradin for my blue tag and im in the 17 and unders but il be 18 for the next competition.what club are you in/whos your instructor?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

^ Ah, fair enough - I thought you meant at black belt level - 'cos that's freakin' impossible.
Umm we aren't a TKD club anymore. We used to do it all, patterns etc but he (+ the grandmaster in America) got bored of it - it really wasn't any use in the street.
So we changed a lot - adopted a kick boxing stance, jiu jitsu/hapkido locks & ground fighting etc.
After that, well we tended to get carried away and hurt people in comps, so we weren't allowed enter anymore.

Now we enter MMA comps - just like UFC 'cept w/out prizemoney
nice.is that 3 castles mma by any chance?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

TBH I've no idea. I stopped in May 'cos I was really sick (hospitalised) and I needed to study for the LC.
Quote by purplegreendave
TBH I've no idea. I stopped in May 'cos I was really sick (hospitalised) and I needed to study for the LC.

yea i stopped for the lc as well.im startin again tonight
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
^dont stand around all day when your waiting cos it will tire your legs outs.also remember your double sidekicks and the classic 'take their guard down with an axe kick then mash their face with your fists'

WTF>ITF

In the WTF competitions you aren't allowed to use your fists on faces.
i hate wft!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Atreideslegend
ooooo that sounds interesting. Do you animal styles in that? *googles*

yeah, the five ancestors we do are:
Luohan, Emperor Taizu, Da Mo, and the two animal ancestors are monkey and white crane.
Though we also do some lion and tiger.

Pretty interesting stuff.
i used to do US Thai. i went to a black belt then i went to school an had to stop.
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
Used to do Karate, was in the display team too. But I fell out with the guys I used to hitch a ride with and left.

Looking at starting Ninjutsu though.
I used to do Tae Kwon Do when I was in primary school. I managed to achieve black-tip status, but then I lost interest. My parents started around the same time as I, but they kept it going. Now my dad is one of the senior instructors at the local center, and my mum is a black-tip.

Edit:

Rhee Tae Kwon Do.

Grandmaster Rhee is... Well, he's getting old, but man can that guy jump. There are pictures of him doing fly kicks over at least eight students.
A U S S I E
Last edited by Jcore44 at Jun 13, 2008,
moon lee tae kwon do for me
i won best male medal for my grading performance out of 80 guys
i was short for fees and couldnt afford to go any more
also on the topic, does anyone notice how sometimes the registration fees can be a bit extortionist? in my club it's cool cos it's a university club, so it's just 10 euro/year, but i know someone who does some kickboxing hybrid out where i live and it's 15 euro EVERY TIME HE GOES. how much does everyone else pay for the privilege?
ITF Tae Kwon Do
Muay Thai
Judo
Used to do Hung Gar Kung Fu and some Wing Chun.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by irishman
also on the topic, does anyone notice how sometimes the registration fees can be a bit extortionist? in my club it's cool cos it's a university club, so it's just 10 euro/year, but i know someone who does some kickboxing hybrid out where i live and it's 15 euro EVERY TIME HE GOES. how much does everyone else pay for the privilege?

My Dojang/Dojo is part of a buddhist temple youth group, so I paid for my uniform and learn for free. But the only thing is that if you miss a day you have to pay 10 dollars and pay 15 bucks for your promotion test. Because it's totally non profit and they have to finance themselves somehow.

But I'm dedicated enough go every week so it's all good.

But you gotta watch out for the McDojo's who are only out there to make a profit. Usually by giving high prices and promising a fast black belt.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Slaytanic6606
My Dojang/Dojo is part of a buddhist temple youth group, so I paid for my uniform and learn for free. But the only thing is that if you miss a day you have to pay 10 dollars and pay 15 bucks for your promotion test. Because it's totally non profit and they have to finance themselves somehow.

But I'm dedicated enough go every week so it's all good.

But you gotta watch out for the McDojo's who are only out there to make a profit. Usually by giving high prices and promising a fast black belt.

yeah exactly, i think my friend had a black belt in 2 years.
Mannnn back in the old days, there was these CRAZY lei tai competitions
I think one of the most extreme (modern) of these was held for only one year because it was too dangerous

Basically, you were on a square platform over a body of water
If you beat one guy, anyone can climb on to fight you
Rules?
1) If you fall into the water you lose
2) If you pass out/die, you lose
3) If you stand on the platform and noone else comes to fight you, you win

In other words, eye gouges, groin shots, biting, etc. were allowed
I'm kinda glad that they stop holding these nemore

The ultimate tournament rules I find are in "Art of War" (youtube it)
Its basically like most other comps but w/o the ref stopping you once in a while

Just thought you'd like to know
I did Tae Kwon Do for a long time when I was younger, and it's given me the ability to practically contort even while I've been out of practice for so long. I'm a large, chubby male and I'm more flexible than some cheerleaders I know.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Page 1 of 2