I have been playing close to 3 months now. I usaully spend about three hours on the guitar in total in three different one hour sets (Usually morning, noon, evening). I warm up/stretch for about 5-10 minutes each time I pick up the guitar. In the morning I concentrate on finger excercises and then the major scale. At noon I concentrate the entire time on chords. In the evening I spend the 1 hour doing minor pentatonic scales. I'm looking to slowly bump up my playing time by an hour every half a year, so i'm looking to be playing for 4 hours daily in 3 months. Is this effective or am I doing too much to soon? Suggestions from you guys are appreciated because I don't want to get hurt in the process as I like playing.
Forgot to mention I don't play through the entire hour. I take a 5 minute break every 20 minutes
Sounds like you're on a good schedule. Just don't forget to have some fun, and learn some cool songs on the side
it sounds like you have a good practice regime going there. You can't really ever do too much practice it's more exerting too much stress on your fingers when u do practice. Make sure you're as relaxed as u can be and stop for a few hours or so if you get any deep or shooting pains in your hands, a dull ache is ok.
Look like you're doing fine, I don't plan my practice, but you can't ever practice too much.
And trust me, even if you practice all day, you won't get bored (at least if you vary your exercises)

Greetz,
Michel
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
yeah, i suppose that can be pretty boring haha, but I actually kind of like it. At the moment I am much more interested in improving my technique/skills before really going into the songs. I have also structured my playing this way because I want to avoid doing any damage to my hands.
Quote by Atreideslegend
it sounds like you have a good practice regime going there. You can't really ever do too much practice it's more exerting too much stress on your fingers when u do practice. Make sure you're as relaxed as u can be and stop for a few hours or so if you get any deep or shooting pains in your hands, a dull ache is ok.

Holy **** I always get that. I always thought it was a good thing since it means you are building muscle and would play worn out alot. Is it really bad for your playing in the long run?
good schedules...I don't have one...I just play when I have time which is hard to find...and then just usually fiddle around
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
If that works for you great but as other people have said playing Guitar should be fun not work if you regiment it to much it will start seem more of the later and less of the former I would recommended taking some days or a least an hour a day and just have fun. Play what you want too experiment with new techniques, chord progressions, let your mind and fingers wander and see what happens.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
WOW! 3 hours!

The max that I will normally play for is about 30 minutes... it's usually about 10-15 though.

I'm purty bad at practicing.
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
I practise for about an hour or 2 each day. Most days i don't practise. Finding the time is hard, plus we have 2 little girls sleeping in the house next door, there bedroom is right next to mine. There usually in bed by 8pm, and thats usually the only time i can get on the Guitar. I think i need to invest in some headphones. *.*

When i do practise, i just practise what ever i feel like. Today i was learning to jump from chord to chord. Bloody hard!