Hey
I want to change the pickups in my Epi les paul but dont know what ones to put in... its got the stock ones that came with the guitar. I play mainly rock, punk, metal style stuff. . .anyone know what type pickups would get a vintage Gibson sound?
Gibson 57s?
seriusly, whats your amp?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
A SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck would get you a great vintage sound... but they're not going to make a difference if your amp sucks.

EDIT: Nevermind, looked at your profile.
Alnico II Pros, 59s or Seth Lovers. try also Gibson 57 Classic.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
A SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck would get you a great vintage sound...

I think i'm going to try out he Pearly gates and the Alnico 2 pro. . . thanks mate
Last edited by Mattinho at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by Mattinho
I think i'm going to try out he Pearly gates and the Alnico 2 pro. . . thanks mate

No prob.
Also for not much more money there's handwound pickup makers in the UK such as Bareknuckle and Swineshead. Generally a sweeter and more 'organic' tone than Duncans.

I stuck a Bareknuckle Mule set in my Epi LP. They're roughly analogous to Pearly Gates. Very pleased with the result.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Duncans are going to be a good deal more expensive overseas.

Check out Swineshead, BareKnuckle pickups, or Rockmonkeyguitars.com. The stuff from RMG is very vintage sound, and vintage correct, too. The owner of the company is a UG member, too, and gives a 10% discount to UG members. A set of his Cool Heritage pickups would do the trick for you, most likely.