Hi, guys, this is my first post, but I'm a beginning guitar player, and I wanted to ask here what my first electric guitar amp should be.

I've picked out a guitar and I'm going to get but I'm unsure of what amp to get, when I go into Guitar Center. I figured I could try a bunch out but they have so many any guidance would be appreciated!
oh! duh I should have put that there. I like classic rock a lot and also some of the 80's - 90's metal like megadeth and pantera. But I think I'd want an amp that could do pretty good cleans as well as distortion.

my price range is around $400
Peavey Valveking combo, it won't do insane modern distortion but will suit all the other styles you listed very well, plus it's all-tube
ohai little sig.
A Crate V-18 and a distortion or overdrive pedal for the 90's metal would be a good choice. It's all tube too, cheaper and that bit less wattage should make it a bit more sociable when plying at home, but also loud enough to gig and jam with
What does "tube" mean? is it something that makes the amp better?
Quote by zac503
What does "tube" mean? is it something that makes the amp better?

Since you are inexperienced with amps I'd suggest you start with a good SS amp like a Peavey Transtube or something like that.
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow so I'll have a list with me so I can try these amps.

What about fender amps, I know that fenders are a pretty classic guitar company. Could they do the sound I'm looking forwards too?
I'd suggest a Cube 30 or Cube 60

Gives you nice cleans, a nice hard metal "stack" tone for that Pantera, and a nice overdrive and distortion for the classic rock.
dude get a Line 6 Spider 3 120 u can get every single Clean and Distortion tone from line 6 amp I play everything from Blues to Death metal and the Spider 3 delivers man Cant go wrong with em
Quote by sandman-105
dude get a Line 6 Spider 3 120 u can get every single Clean and Distortion tone from line 6 amp I play everything from Blues to Death metal and the Spider 3 delivers man Cant go wrong with em

TS... ignore this guy. Spiders are decent modellers, but there are much better, more versatile amps for the money.

Plus, a 120 watt practice amp is just stupid.

Quote by kckyle
i sense sarcasm

Don't think so... he owns one, so I'd chalk it up to either denial or a complete lack of an ear for tone.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by sandman-105

i sense sarcasm