just start slowly and build up your speed. heck play guitar hero it makes you very good at pulloffs if you get to expert difficulty, in all honesty *flameshield on*
triads are useful because as you speed up, its harder to keep them even and you're building stregnth at the same time. example:

e|--15-14-12----|
This should probably go in techniqes but:

When you do a hammer-on, you should be able to get a nice sound out of it by barely hitting the string. You don't have to hit the string as hard as possible to get a note. How that's done is by finding the sweet spot on the string, in-between the fret wires. If you can find the certain spot that makes the string ring more clearly when you hit it, it will take a LOT less effort. Joe Satriani, the god himself, talked about it in a lesson: http://www.foreverjoe.com/lessons.htm#guitar%20start

When you pull-off, an easy way to get the second note to ring more clearly is to sort of pull your finger to the ground (gripping the string a little) so it barely plucks the string as it pulls off.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by mdwallin
i need some excercises or something... I wanna be able to even up the skill in both techniques... help?
Cant you just, I dont know, hammer on and pull off? When improvising/soloing, instead of hitting a string twice, hammer on or pull off instead.
Maybe I'm missing something?
Quote by F8iscruel
heck play guitar hero it makes you very good at pulloffs if you get to expert difficulty, in all honesty *flameshield on*
*facepalm*
Quote by demonofthenight
Cant you just, I dont know, hammer on and pull off? When improvising/soloing, instead of hitting a string twice, hammer on or pull off instead.
Maybe I'm missing something?*facepalm*

you know what if it wasnt fro guitar hero my legato would be horrible and i wouldnt play real guitar at all. it is a great jumping point to get someslightly advanced fundamentals but it cant teach some of the more basic things you need such as finger placement which you need to get better at the slightly harder things. so dont facepalm me just because i talk from experiance i wouldnt say something unless i knew it actually worked or i somewhat thought it worked
Pull-offs and hammer ons may be the opposite technique wise they are not done the same way. To do hammer ons you just fret the string hard enough to sound the note. On pull offs you have to flick the string as you are pulling off so you almost pick[with your fretting hand] as you pull off. The hard thing is getting just enough flick and not having the string rattle or at least for me.
nice thread there edg
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥