Alright, my bass (Ibanex GSR200) has two pups, a P in the neck and a J in the bridge.

The J works fine. The P, however, cuts out at random. However, the signal isn't gone completely... if you listen close you can still hear it, really faintly and with a lot of cracking and noise. It follows no pattern... it'll cut out suddenly and pop back in at will. However there's a buzz on it whenever I'm not touching the bridge/something on the bass grounded.

The pup sounds perfectly fine when it's working, and a shock to the bass can cut it or bring it back(although not every time, and now it appears to be out for good.)

I've looked close at the wiring and it seems to be in order. The bass is active, I've changed the batteries out(I added a second battery) and the problem persists.

So, I'm led to believe it the pup itself. Can anyone give me some insight into this? I'm thinking I should completely redo the wiring, and if it's still screwy then it pretty much has to be the pup itself.
Last edited by Wonthefu at Jul 2, 2008,
Enlightement me, did you do a 18v mod ?

Well Ibanez are cursed with noisy pre-amp unless it's a 500+ model.

And if you're about to rework the whole wiring thing you might as well be put new electronic in
I really hate to bump this back up, but I still need some resolution with this.

I've got the strings off, I've checked the connections of the wires to the pup halves themselves and everything is nice and tight. No loose wires in the control cavity, no damaged or crackly wires the damn p-pup just won't work right.

Anyone got any ideas?
use this as an excuse for a new, better pup

if u can, try the pup in another bass- if its works, the wiring in the ibanez is screwed. if not, its the pup
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
use this as an excuse for a new, better pup

if u can, try the pup in another bass- if its works, the wiring in the ibanez is screwed. if not, its the pup

No other bass to try it on...

And I have no cash, unemployment doesn't leave much to be spent on stuff like basses...
thats annoying..... idk about anything else u could try
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking