In the body size of a Guitar, what is the difference beetween Dreadnought and Concert?
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
A Dreadnought is bigger, bulkier, and has more bass.

Concert is smaller, more comfortable (to most), and generally has well balanced sound.

Also, I think this info may be in a stickied thread.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Dreadnoughts have a generally bassier sound and are better suited for everything from picking to strumming. They don't do well when being recorded because they have too much bass. The dreadnought is probably the most common body shape in production.

Concert sized gutiars are more rounded in shape, have a more balanced sound and are generally better for picking than strumming. Often used in recording situations because their sound isnt too boomy in the bass end.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've never found a dreadnought I liked. The bass is like a cannon, which (to my ears) makes it unbalanced. The upside of that is that they project well, but sitting with one in my lap it's just too much. I find concert guitars more comfortable and much better balanced tonally. I disagree with captivate, I think they work great for strumming because you can hear every string. As mentioned, they're much better to record with due to the balanced sound. If I didn't play a jumbo I'd probably play a concert size or something similar.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Jun 13, 2008,
to each his own! I personally like the bass of a dreadnought over a concert for strumming because i find that the chords blend together more smoothly. I dont like dreadnoughts for picking though, it makes everything sound very... muffled, whereas a concert has very distinguished notes.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.