Hi,

I've recently come across an Ibanez JS PY2K or "Crystal Planet" guitar (google it and drool!) It's a very nice guitar with only 200 ever made and I've found one at noice price of £1999 ($4000) I know it'd be cheaper in america but whatever!

Basically I've thought it'd be a fantastic investment with only 200 ever made but then I think I am gonna play this thing cos it just looks immense! Soooo if I intend to play it is it still going to retain value further down the line or not??

Cheers for the opinions!
Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
If you plan to resell it and make a profit later down the road and you want to to play it, don't bother wasting your money. It has to be in pretty much perfect condition for there to be a a market for it later on.
i'm not sure about ibanez. since most of them don't hold a candle in market resale value compare to gibson and fender.
Quote by smb
Don't expect it to appreciate. Chances are you'll struggle to find a buyer for it.

Ibanez's will always find buyers, especially collectors. Besides its a limited edition Joe Satriani model, he's one of the most respected guitar players in the world, what collector wouldn't pay to have that in his/her guitar collection?

I'd say go for it, and store in a nice glass display or something, somewhere where it looks fancy and if a collector comes by, he'll surely be impressed.
Ibanez guitars don't really appreciate well in the collectors market at all, you can scoop up some of their old Gibson knockoffs dirt cheap, and those would be the most valuable collectors guitars they ever made.

Quote by Eric 666
Ibanez's will always find buyers, especially collectors. Besides its a limited edition Joe Satriani model, he's one of the most respected guitar players in the world, what collector wouldn't pay to have that in his/her guitar collection?

Not really, I know quite a few guitar collectors and none of them would even consider buying an Ibanez, they aren't big on the collectors market at all. A Satriani fanboy might buy it, or maybe if you are lucky enough to find someone who is really into Ibanez.

Also as far as actually playing this particular guitar, those clear plexiglass things are pretty hard to damage, so it will be fine on that front, they also sound like complete ass and weight a ton, they are designed for looks, not to sound good.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 13, 2008,
I'd never really look into guitars as an investment opportunity. Not unless you plan on hanging on to them for a couple decades. Used equipment depreciates in value very quickly, and the only time you may see an actual increase in value is when such an item becomes quite old. Even with limited edition equipment.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Go for it.

I've done it with two of mine, limited edition Tokai and a 80's Charvel.

Not that I plan on selling them for a long long long time.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Gibson "guitars of the week" or other things genrally lose money - as there will always be a bunch of people holding them for investment.

Fender CS same thing. I have a CD Fender I want to sell and I'll probably take a bath (email if interested, its a Tele).

On the other hand, I have a 73 Tele I paid $300 for back in the 90's and it's now worh about 3k. I didn't buy it for investment but it has appreciated.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Ibanez guitars don't really appreciate well in the collectors market at all, you can scoop up some of their old Gibson knockoffs dirt cheap, and those would be the most valuable collectors guitars they ever made.

Not really, I know quite a few guitar collectors and none of them would even consider buying an Ibanez, they aren't big on the collectors market at all. A Satriani fanboy might buy it, or maybe if you are lucky enough to find someone who is really into Ibanez.

Also as far as actually playing this particular guitar, those clear plexiglass things are pretty hard to damage, so it will be fine on that front, they also sound like complete ass and weight a ton, they are designed for looks, not to sound good.

Ahh, then my apologies, that's why I would suggest Ebay or some other selling service, it might get more collectors or even a high price buyer or 2.
Guitars are silly investments. The reason why those old guitars are so expensive is often because there are only 2-3 left in good shape because most of the people buying them played them, that won't be the case with limited run guitars like that. I wouldn't buy it realistically expecting to make any substantial amount of money.

It's like comic books, the reason those old ones are so expensive wasn't because they were limited editions, it is because they are rare and have special significance in the industry.
Quote by Matheau
Guitars are silly investments. The reason why those old guitars are so expensive is often because there are only 2-3 left in good shape because most of the people buying them played them, that won't be the case with limited run guitars like that. I wouldn't buy it realistically expecting to make any substantial amount of money.

It's like comic books, the reason those old ones are so expensive wasn't because they were limited editions, it is because they are rare and have special significance in the industry.

+1
So I'm not hearing alot of pro's... to be honest I'm not a collector I've just always wanted a plexi guitar since I bought the Cunning Stunts Metallica DVD and this guitar does look seriously sweet... naturally I'll try it before I buy because it's like you say Ibanez is not going to get the market appreciation that Gibson or Fender have. A friend of mine's Dad has an original '52 Gibson Les Paul... he calls it his pension!
Quote:
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
I've never understood why people are obsessed with using material things as investments. All this does is prevent lower income people from enjoying vintage stuff, whether it is cars, guitars, or whatever.

If you want to start investing, find a honest financial adviser and buy some bonds, mutual funds, or stock.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by Joycey
So I'm not hearing alot of pro's... to be honest I'm not a collector I've just always wanted a plexi guitar since I bought the Cunning Stunts Metallica DVD and this guitar does look seriously sweet... naturally I'll try it before I buy because it's like you say Ibanez is not going to get the market appreciation that Gibson or Fender have. A friend of mine's Dad has an original '52 Gibson Les Paul... he calls it his pension!

The reason a 1952 Les Paul is so valuable is because that was the first year (the value on that is actually barely above a decent investment of the price paid for it). Original Fenders and Gibsons are iconic instruments, that is why they are so valuable, no guitar is very likely to have the cultural impact of a first year Les Paul or a first year Stratocaster.

If you want a Plexi guitar, you may want to look at the Fernandez or Dan Armstrong, as well. Don't buy it expecting it to be worth $80,000 in 40 years.
Buy stocks. Or futures. Guitars, motorcylces, cars, and guns are poor investment vehicles. Sure, if you buy a '52 Les Paul or some other high demand, low quantity guitar, the price will only increase. Take that same money, invest wisely and it'll bring you a better return. Buy guitars because you like them, not for investment.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by T!AN
If you plan to resell it and make a profit later down the road and you want to to play it, don't bother wasting your money. It has to be in pretty much perfect condition for there to be a a market for it later on.

agreed. also, don't assume that it'll necessarily appreciate. it could easily depreciate.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm buying primarily to play but I was just curious about whether it could possibly increase in value due to it being a limited run.

Regarding the investment in material things dig surely you can understand that people want something where they can actually appreciate the "investment" instead of having nothing physical apart from a piece of paper to show for it. Don't get me wrong, stocks and bonds are infinitely wiser investments but hey I feel like possibly indulging myself!
Quote:

Quote by Joycey
surely you can understand that people want something where they can actually appreciate the "investment" instead of having nothing physical apart from a piece of paper to show for it.

No, not really. I would invest money to make money or at least prevent inflation from turning my savings into a pittance. I appreciate the money made. "Appreciating" collectables often decreases their value.

Don't get me wrong, stocks and bonds are infinitely wiser investments but hey I feel like possibly indulging myself!

Then indulge yourself. It doesn't have to be an investment.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
^ agreed. if you're going to play it, there's every chance it'll pick up an odd ding or two, and that'll make it depreciate. the hardware could tarnish too, etc. etc.

not to mention, even if it's kept pristine, it might not appreciate. that's the problem with investments- they aren't sure things, and if you act like they are, you're going to get burned.

if you want to buy a £2000 guitar, that's your prerogative. Just don't buy it expecting to make money from the deal down the line (especially if you can't afford the £2000 easily now), as that'll only end in tears, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You've already missed your opportunity to use guitars as an investment opportunity. Nothing made now is going to seriously appreciate in value unless it's new, and that's a crapshoot. Unless you can predict the future or go back in time, there's not much to invest in.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
unless you have tons of cash and can buy, say, a 50s gibson or fender. and even that's a crapshoot, as there's nothing to say that the electric guitar won't fall out of favour or something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?