Hey guys im gettin a metal band together and i have a question between lead and rhythm in metal. I basically understand the role of the rhythm but listening to some metallica i cant tell exactly what the lead guitar is doing. Basically the question is what does lead guitar do in metal, is it different then other genres or basically the same thanks guys.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Hey guys im gettin a metal band together and i have a question between lead and rhythm in metal. I basically understand the role of the rhythm but listening to some metallica i cant tell exactly what the lead guitar is doing. Basically the question is what does lead guitar do in metal, is it different then other genres or basically the same thanks guys.

try looking at a tab
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
why didnt i think of that, thanks
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
is lead still the main guitar in metal?
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
lead usually does solos and lead lines (often a melody line over the riff), that doesnt mean rhythm cant do them as well, the lead just does them way more often.
good examples of this are bands like Megadeth and Children of Bodom
for Megadeth, even though you mainly hear about Dave Mustaine, its Chris Broderick that does almost every solo
and as for Bodom, Alexi does every solo, along with keyboardist Janne, but Roope has done some solos on certain songs in recordings
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
The lead does the solo and any bits over the top of the main rhythm.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
i like to say that, metal sometimes has 2 lead guitarrists, it can be confusing but anyway, dont get "stuck" with those "labels" thing just get the band playing something awesome
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by nirvanagrunge13

When exactly wasn't lead guitar the lead guitar in metal?
Quote by the_extremist00
i like to say that, metal sometimes has 2 lead guitarists, it can be confusing but anyway, don't get "stuck" with those "labels" thing just get the band playing something awesome

+1

Don't think you have to stick to the boundaries of 'two guitars and one must do lead and one must do rythm'. Just get your band together and jam out some stuff, who cares who does what solo as long as it goes with the backing chord progression and if it sounds awesome. The latter is up to you to decide
Quote by Killphuqdie

Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Killphuqdie

what i mean is, you mostly hear the rhythm not much of the lead
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by saphrax
I thought you had a metal guitar...

aww sorry to dissapoint
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
if you can't tell the difference between lead and rythym in metallica songs, you have no right starting a metal band.

/thread
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Quote by wshnationals
if you can't tell the difference between lead and rythym in metallica songs, you have no right starting a metal band.

/thread
that is not what i have been saying
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by wshnationals

/thread

A wee bit harsh there mate. Infact, you have no right to tell people what they can/can't do. Just because somebody may not be able to define lead and rhythm guitars doesn't mean they should just give up on the idea of being in a band.

We ALL had to start somewhere. Remember this. It can be humbling sometimes.
alright thanks everyone i got it now
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Lead and rythm in a lot of bands usually play the same part, or atleast parts that compliment eachother. Only difference is lead plays the solos.
Quote by wshnationals

/thread

geez don't be a prick about it to the guy

he can do whatever he wants...
YEAH
The distinction between lead and rhythm isn't really a case of pre-defined roles, it's simply a way to describe what's being played at any given point. If it's a solo or single note licks it's lead, if it's predominantly chords or repeating riff-based stuff then it's rhythm - it describes the passage itself, not the person playing it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In old skool metallica as an example.

The rhythm parts, which are riffs, was on the records 3 of James Hetfields lines put together. Kirk Hammet did most of the solos. That was lead guitar.

Live both played rhythm parts and Kirk plays his solos when its time to.
lead and rhythm can both do solos, dueling guitar maiden style.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Quote by nirvanagrunge13

Don't think of it in terms of 'main guitar'. Without the rhythm, the lead guitar sounds thin and uncoordinated. Without the lead, the rhythm gets boring. Without a bass, there's no foundation. Each is important in it's role.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Don't think of it in terms of 'main guitar'. Without the rhythm, the lead guitar sounds thin and uncoordinated. Without the lead, the rhythm gets boring. Without a bass, there's no foundation. Each is important in it's role.

+1

The "main" guitar is the rhythm guitar...no rhythm, no song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com