I've ordered a Dell Vostro 1510. Still waiting for it.

I plan to use it in rehearseals and live gigs. I'll also get a fcb1010, a proper midi interface and a jamlab. I'll send the output to a 65W Fender amp. I do this at home with a similar specs pc and it works like a charm.

I found that there are not many guitar players doing this kind of setups. I think the versatility it enables is mind-bloggling as compared to physical hardware. Modelling is still no challange to "the real thing" in tube amplification, but with any transistor based effect like delay, flangr, whawha, etc, a laptop is exactly at the same level. Well at least I thought so, am I right?
Could be used for live gigs if it has a footswitch.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Hope you don't drop it haha.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
I'm going to start doing this soon with a Toneport GX into the PA system. Should sound wicked awesome.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i was thinking about doing this with my toneport into a laptop onto pa.

it sounds fine at low levels, but i have a feeling itll sound like **** at hgiht volume
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by shaakaal
i was thinking about doing this with my toneport into a laptop onto pa.

it sounds fine at low levels, but i have a feeling itll sound like **** at hgiht volume

Just out of curiousity, why? It's processing is all XT POD based, meaning it should only sound as bad at high volume as the XT. And I've had experience with an XTL into the PA, and it sounds great.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
yeah ive used my macbook pro live. i used REASONs (midi sequencer) sound banks for some great keyboard and string sounds. well i guess I didnt use it, i let our keyboard player use it.

she quit the band. i miss her. shes hot.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Just out of curiousity, why? It's processing is all XT POD based, meaning it should only sound as bad at high volume as the XT. And I've had experience with an XTL into the PA, and it sounds great.

sounds better than my crate. cheaper than getting a good amp
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by shaakaal
sounds better than my crate. cheaper than getting a good amp

No, I mean, why would it sound bad at high volume?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by chea_man
yeah ive used my macbook pro live. i used REASONs (midi sequencer) sound banks for some great keyboard and string sounds. well i guess I didnt use it, i let our keyboard player use it.

she quit the band. i miss her. shes hot.

haha.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Lol, give us her msn!

Anyway, Mac is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *sigh* ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive. I can buy 2 dell vostros instead of a decent Mac. Toneport would be first choice too but it's a more expensive than the JamLab and I think the quality is not that better. I even think it's not better at all than the Jamlab. But you get the software, both options are fair enough. I do this in my desktop pc and at high volumes it KICKS MAJOR ASS. Great quality/price ratio. For 1500 dollars you can't get that sound with hardware. Well, it depends on what you do, but probably you can't whatever you do.

I'm amazed by the lack of information regarding laptops as live processor effects.

Fellow nerd musicians, where are the rest of ya?!?!
set up a seperate windows partition exclusivly for guitar, insall your software, disconnect PERMANENTLY from the internet, then tweek windows to make it bulletproof.
I have a panasonic toughbook, so ocasionally i've used it when out and about at jam sessions for basic effects modelling! But it doesn't sounds great!

Never broken it yet!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by TheDriller
set up a seperate windows partition exclusivly for guitar, insall your software, disconnect PERMANENTLY from the internet, then tweek windows to make it bulletproof.

Yeah, this is vital. I happen to have little but enough experience making ghost images, tune with litexp and stuff do a 'lil registry tweaking. For cpu performance and overall resources management and to avoid live glitches and stuff, this is vital. When I setup things I'll make a review so I can share my experience.