So this is my dilemma: Is de-tuning an expected or highly desirable quality in Melodic Death? Am I better off detuning? What type of tuning is typical of melodeath?

Here is a sample 30s riff in E Standard and C Standard.

MeloDeath E Standard

MeloDeath C Standard
Last edited by ixelion at Jun 15, 2008,
For melodeath I tend to play in C standard which is C F A# D# G C / C F Bb Eb G C but if it sounds alright in E standard, stick with it. Try playing it in different standard tuning to see which sounds best
ohai little sig.
Does it sound better? If so, do it. If not, don't. We can't hear the stuff you're playing (unless you upload it), so try it out ina different tuning and if you think it sounds better, stay that way.
I am also concerned that detuning may make picking more difficult (trem picking as well as some shred licks). Also concerned that it may mess up my neck relief, intonation etc.

When I get home I will upload a small snippet of the song in E std and one in C std for comparison purposes, see which one you guys like better.
You don't really have a reason to, unless you can't sing that high, do you?

It just seems like a waste, if it could mess up your guitar.
The most melodeath is written in C (or Drop C). But if it sounds better in standard E. Then writte the song in E.
Personally I think it would sound better in either drop C or C standard. Play and record it in either of those and let us hear it.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
most of the melodeath bands are in drop C or C standard or something in that area. I think it more in part with the production and general sound. If you just lower the tuning a bit, then have 2 guitars + double up the parts when recording = effin huge wall of sound that hits you

Though that doesn't mean some of the bands have done stuff in standard tuning as well

Quote by ixelion
I am also concerned that detuning may make picking more difficult (trem picking as well as some shred licks). Also concerned that it may mess up my neck relief, intonation etc.

When I get home I will upload a small snippet of the song in E std and one in C std for comparison purposes, see which one you guys like better.

get yourself some nice thick strings and set up the guitar correctly and there shouldn't be any trouble (of course, thats hard to do if you've only got on guitar and are jumping between different tunings all the time)

edit:
i just opened up the sound clip you posted in Audacity and shifted it down to C#, it sounds brutal-er
Last edited by seljer at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by ixelion
I am also concerned that detuning may make picking more difficult (trem picking as well as some shred licks).

chris amott.
/conversation

need i say more about it not affecting shred?
lol

but seriously, if it sounds good in standard why bother downtuning?
Top lel.
D Standard is the greatest for melodeath IMO.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
D standard is probably my favorite tuning for metal. I can never get used to writing in dropped D or dropped C tunings, and D feels natural because of all the bands that use it.

Most of Children of Bodom's discography is in D standard (though more recently they've been using drop C).
It doesnt really matter what tuning you use. There's bands that play in E Standard, D, C, some in B/7 seven string standard.

It depends what you like.

E Standard - Mors Principium Est... (I know there's some others, but cant think of them...)
D - Wintersun (they also use standard from time to time), Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum
C#- Dark Tranquillity
C - Middle In Flames (from TJR-Clayman), Arch Enemy
B - Amon Amarth, Satariel

Although, if you've heard the new piece of **** In Flames put out, that's proof tuning doesnt make it heavy.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Sounds better in C standard.

PS - TS, I see you're from Mississauga, me too. Where abouts in Sauga are you from?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I personally think a lot of it would sound better if it was tuned to D standard or higher, and no you don't need to use drop tunings unless you play covers that require them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well, which sound do you want to acheive? i like a sadder sound for them so i chose d minor as a key and make my strings in d standard for ease.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
what you have to remember is that for lower tunings you would need thicker strings. because they tend to get very sloppy and loose. that messes the playability very much.
and by the way.. your guitar wont be hurt by changing tunings -.- it can be hurt however by thicker strings, like in standard tuning... i wouldnt use baritone strings in standard :P
but i do use medium gauge in my ibanez (0.11 - 0.46) all i needed to do was fix the bridge tension.
Quote by ixelion
hehe small world, I am close to Erin Mills Town Center, you?

Nice, I'm just up the street from the Clarkson GO Station.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Nice, I'm just up the street from the Clarkson GO Station.

I pass the station on my way to work practically every day, are you around Streetsville?

But back to the OT:

I hear no real musical difference between std E and std C what keeping me from going all out and and tunning in B std with some .13 strings?

I guess the real issue is that detuning requires that you play in a certain way, band that detune are stylistically similar, but are musically different from bands that don't detune and vice-versa.

I.e. you cant take an Opeth song and play it in B std and it will automatically sound better, it will be different but probably not better.

By the same token if you take an Amon Amarth song and play it in E std, it wont be any worse, just different probably not worse.

So I think the question of whether a song can be enhanced by detuning is a question about the style of the song.

In addition to the musical stuff, heavy gauge strings is going to make it more difficult do do rolling sweeps, as you have to apply substantial pressure with different segments of your fingers which is why I think guys like Malmsteen and Petrucci use very light gauge strings.

It's not a coincidence that Ensiferum plays in E std or Eb, as they do some sweeping as well.
Last edited by ixelion at Jun 16, 2008,
it doesn't make sweeping any harder. and that i am sure. i play with medium gauge strings, and it only affects vibratto and bends. it may affect a little the fretting but almost nothing. and then again, you could always check petrucci's website instead of talkin' about something you don't know
and you could also listen to his songs and you would know he doesn't stick to a tuning. nowhere near that.
you could always check Petrucci's website instead of talkin' about something you don't know
and you could also listen to his songs and you would know he doesn't stick to a tuning. nowhere near that.

Petrucci uses .9 gauge on his main, I think it's a reasonable assumption he does so because it's easier. This is the same reason why I want to use .10 gauge rather than anything heavier.

You mention he has other guitars with heavier gauges and that he probably sweeps on those guitars, thats fine but it's not relevant to the premise that sweeping is easier on lighter gauge strings.

Unless of course you are making the claim: Petrucci uses heavy gauge strings therefore everyone should be able to sweep with ease on heavier gauge strings.

This of course is a ludicrous claim.

But this is getting way off topic I am sticking with E standard because I am not strictly composing melodeath.
Quote by ixelion
I pass the station on my way to work practically every day, are you around Streetsville?

Haha naw man. Streetsville is in the opposite direction from me. You live by Erin Mills Town Center, east of that is Streetsville, west is Clarkson. Closer to the lake.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Oh ****, my bad. I ment north and south.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp