Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
What's the price tag on that?
edit: shame it looks so fugly
ohai little sig.
Cleans are nice and there were some nice lead tones, but I was hoping for more out of the distortion especially for the rhythm sections. Felt very "meh"...

/$0.02

EDIT: Seems to seriously lacking low end, which bugs me...
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by Caseyman
Its not big.. its smaller than my engl.

yeah but ENGLs are huge

i'm quite liking the tone. cool amp, thanks for posting, TS !
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jun 13, 2008,
not tried it but in that pic it looks cheap and plasticy.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by The red Strat.
yeah but ENGLs are huge

Meh.. 30 1/2 x 12 x 12 give or take a couple of 1/8ths. Fits just fine on most cabs.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
I must have read the thing about the cabinet. Active cabinet with another power amp? Am I understanding this correctly, or is the 1100 watts its power handling?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Lemoninfluence
not tried it but in that pic it looks cheap and plasticy.

Tolex? Black Powder coat chassis?

Wut.

It would look better with corners.. I think I'm gonna try one out this week sometime since ISP is right in Michigan.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
there is no way this is the best SS amp out there
and unless you own it how do you come to that conclusion

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I don't get it. It's stupidly big and heavy and expensive for a SS amp. Why would anyone buy it?
Quote by Caseyman

Wut.

Pretty sure he's referring to the knobs and and the big strip of plain boring looking plastic they're on top off, although the whole thing isn't exactly a looker...

That came off looking cheap to me too, but it didn't bug me as much as the sound...
Quote by MESAexplorer
I must have read the thing about the cabinet. Active cabinet with another power amp? Am I understanding this correctly, or is the 1100 watts its power handling?

I'm not sure what exactly it means either...maybe it's just because it's solid state and needs lot of headroom?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Tyler Durden
there is no way this is the best SS amp out there
and unless you own it how do you come to that conclusion

Whats better.. A Axe FX.. Maybe a Randall?

Most SS head I've heard sound like ****, too much gain not enough punch and no warmth whatsoever.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Well my traynor > any low end tube amp whit stock speaker
my traynor whit my red coat > any low end tube amp whit an upgraded speaker.

Seriously my traynor is the BEST solid-state that ive played of my ****ing life.

But idk about this one, Maybe good, Maybe not.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Last edited by Hcmanu at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by T!AN
Pretty sure he's referring to the knobs and and the big strip of plain boring looking plastic they're on top off, although the whole thing isn't exactly a looker...

That came off looking cheap to me too, but it didn't bug me as much as the sound...

When did looks equal sound?

(Invalid img)

I wouldn't talk on looks.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not sure what exactly it means either...maybe it's just because it's solid state and needs lot of headroom?

1100 RMS total power seems pretty clear to me.
anyway, 1100 is just rediculous for headroom. a 100 watt SS wil have enough headroom for most situations.
perhaps it's just for tone, the more wattage a SS has, the better it sounds at any volume generally. but even if that's the reason, 1100 watts is still incredibly exessive.
but hey, the wattage doesn't bother me all that much, it still only weighs 40lbs.
Quote by The red Strat.
anyway, 1100 is just rediculous for headroom. a 100 watt SS wil have enough headroom for most situations.
perhaps it's just for tone, the more wattage a SS has, the better it sounds at any volume generally. but even if that's the reason, 1100 watts is still incredibly exessive.

I'm pretty sure its just for clarity at higher volumes.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Quote by Caseyman
When did looks equal sound?

I wouldn't talk on looks.

I didn't know this thread was about my amp....

And if you bothered to read the link in my sig you would see I paid $175 making it by far the best choice for the money.

And I think my Laney looks absolutely sex thank you very much.

Thanks for posting anyway, because that's an awesome picture...
Quote by The red Strat.
but hey, the wattage doesn't bother me all that much, it still only weighs 40lbs.

But on the other hand the page title and spec sheet for the head all say 300w, I'm not sure about this 1100w thing at all.

Quote by Caseyman
I wouldn't talk on looks

But that Laney has a look of class about it; for a start the control paney is all shiny and spiffy and it's got the corner things...the whole thing just looks less cheap.

And less knobs on it; I don't like having a very cluttered front panel.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by The red Strat.
that kinda was what i said, and just for clarity (tone in general actually) at any volume.

Yeah, I guess this isn't a forum where people discuss new gear.. Just the same **** over and over.

Sorry I brought something new everyone, go back to your 15 watt combos and digitech distortion pedals now.

ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
Quote by Caseyman
Yeah, I guess this isn't a forum where people discuss new gear.. Just the same **** over and over.

Sorry I brought something new everyone, go back to your 15 watt combos and digitech distortion pedals now.

lolwut?

Seriously; we are discussing the new piece of gear, talking about why it seems to have a stupid amount of power is talking about it. I was also discussing the cosmetics and would like to add at this point that although it's better than a whole load of SS amps I still find it to be a little sterile and cold for me.

And yes, I will go back to my all-tube Laney and play happily

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
But on the other hand the page title and spec sheet for the head all say 300w, I'm not sure about this 1100w thing at all.

But that Laney has a look of class about it; for a start the control paney is all shiny and spiffy and it's got the corner things...the whole thing just looks less cheap.

And less knobs on it; I don't like having a very cluttered front panel.

"800 WATTS with dual active subwoofers". note that they say active, which means the amp doesn't need the power, the woofers do.
+300 RMS power from the amp = 1100 watts.

lol at " No other amplifier, Tube, Solid State or Digital even comes close to the sonic flexibility of the THETA." i stopped reading there .
Quote by The red Strat.
"800 WATTS with dual active subwoofers". not that they say active, which means the amp doesn't need the power, the woofers do.
+300 RMS power from the amp = 1100 watts.

300w is still more than 90% of people will ever need, even in an SS amp.

Thanks for clearing that up though, I'm not much of a tech person. Or a reader it would seem.

I lol'd at the flexibilty thing as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
lolwut?

Seriously; we are discussing the new piece of gear, talking about why it seems to have a stupid amount of power is talking about it. I was also discussing the cosmetics and would like to add at this point that although it's better than a whole load of SS amps I still find it to be a little sterile and cold for me.

And yes, I will go back to my all-tube Laney and play happily

Lol post a SS head that isn't sterile and cold.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
^^true, but it does make for a better sound with SS generally. technically no-one needs a 100 watt tube amp when you could get the same on with half the wattage, but sometimes the 100 watts just has more clarity, nicer attack, etc. get the point ? it's not about needing it, it just makes for a more dynamic, clearer sound most of the times with a solid state.

no problemo
Quote by Caseyman

let me post you a few when i'm back (going to eat now).
I tried one of these and was very disappointed, especially given how much they ask for it.

Quote by Caseyman

Most of the SS amps Vox put out in the 60s and 70s where very nice sounding, so is the Roland JC-120
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Caseyman

Wut.

It would look better with corners.. I think I'm gonna try one out this week sometime since ISP is right in Michigan.

I dunno.

on most other amps tolex looks as though it's covering the wood. this looks like it's made of plastic and the tolex pattern is just the way it's been moulded.

The bit behind the knobs looks like plastic in the OP pic and the huge empty space above just makes it look like a cheap no name amp.

I'm only discussing the aesthetics of it. I never said it was good or bad because of them.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I dunno.

on most other amps tolex looks as though it's covering the wood. this looks like it's made of plastic and the tolex pattern is just the way it's been moulded.

The bit behind the knobs looks like plastic in the OP pic and the huge empty space above just makes it look like a cheap no name amp.

I'm only discussing the aesthetics of it. I never said it was good or bad because of them.

Meh looks or not.. ISP has never let me down on any of their stuff I've tried.
ENGL Fireball
KMD XV100SD
Marshall 1960AV x2
ESP Horizon
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108

My Band
I'm impressed - I quite like it.

Quote by Caseyman

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K9IlmHI7jug
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
that thing BB king uses is the best solid state, or the roland jazz chorus.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
"Originally Posted by Caseyman
Lol post a SS head that isn't sterile and cold."
Quote by The red Strat.
let me post you a few when i'm back (going to eat now).

woah, i already forgot about this.
you want clips of SS amps that don't sound sterile and cold, right ? i assume SS modelers are also ok.

here are a few:
http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/mp3/Speaker/JensenStratHeavy.mp3

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/mp3/Speaker/Vintage30PaulaClean.mp3
i'll see if i can find some more.
does that sound sterile and cold to you ?
Quote by Hcmanu
Well my traynor > any low end tube amp whit stock speaker
my traynor whit my red coat > any low end tube amp whit an upgraded speaker.

Seriously my traynor is the BEST solid-state that ive played of my ****ing life.

But idk about this one, Maybe good, Maybe not.
Feel the doubt.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2