Hi guys.

My friend has this Ashdown Fallen Angel 60W tube head, which he has had for a little more than a year, and has played it just about every day since he got it. Now just a while ago, his sound suddenly faded away, and the sound was dead. No sound, but stuff was lighting up. He didn't check the tubes, and he turned it in under warranty. He was told that he had handled the amp way too roughly and that was the reason why the sound cut. He got it back, and it worked perfectly.

Now I call bull****, I'd say it was a tube that died, nothing about treating it roughly (he's damn careful with it anyways).

But now, the amp is dead once again. I asked him to look at the tubes, and none of the poweramp, nor the preamp tubes are lighting up. I though that only the dead tubes would stop lighting up? Are the poweramp or the preamp tubes most likely to be dead here?

And also, if he has to get new tubes, what kind of tubes would that be, so he doesn't have to do any re-biasing and stuff?
What is a surge protector?

Anyways, I doubt that the sound would just fade slowly away if it was the fuse? Wouldn't it just pop and go away instantly then? And what would cause the fuse to blow?

edit: And also, everything else lights up except for the tubes, it can't be the fuse then, can it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

Well, if it was the the power tubes, the volume would be iffy, and jump around or just be reduced. If it was the preamp tubes, it could not work at all, or just have decreased gain or volume.

It's more likely that it's the fuse. It could've blown from a voltage spike, which the surge protector would have protected against.
But still, wouldn't a blown fuse stop the power before it reached the other things like the meter that shows wattages used or the on/off lights?
Quote by Dores
But still, wouldn't a blown fuse stop the power before it reached the other things like the meter that shows wattages used or the on/off lights?

If it's the surge protection fuse by the power socket then yes, that'd stop all power.

Sounds like it's a duff component, there's some little power distributor thingies on one of the boards that can fizzle out...happened to me not long ago. They cost peanuts, but obviously there's a bit of work involved to open up the amp, find and replace them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com