i have two questions about teachers:

should i get a guitar teacher? why?
where/how can i find a good local teacher?

i would put my skills at around intermediate. im just getting into advanced stuff and i can do the beginer stuff pretty good.
yes get a teacher because you can learn so much more from a 1 on 1 lesson than you can from a website or whatever. A teacher will pick up on aspects of your playing that you might otherwise ignore. Ask around music shops to get info on teachers. peace
I would say if you are serious about your playing, and think that it would be well worth the money (it is a lot). then by all means get a guitar teacher.

They can see the areas you need to improve in and help (to state the obvious) it is much easier for someone who knows more about guitar than you to help you than for you to help yourself.

Try looking asking a local music store, or perhaps a local school or college (that's where I found mine)
Get a guitar teacher. Don't get a teacher from a store or an academy. They are over priced and usually, the instructors aren't that passionate. Get a private instructor. Search the net/ask around your local guitar center and find someone giving lessons out of their home. Make sure they have a reputation. Usually if a guitar center employee drops their name, they're good.

Private lessons are great because they're usually pretty cheap and the instructor wants to be there and he concentrates a ton of time into the lessons.

Students at an academy or music store come and go like overweight men at a buffet line.
Most of them won't get serious with you until they see that you're going to stick around.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Get a guitar teacher. Don't get a teacher from a store or an academy. They are over priced and usually, the instructors aren't that passionate. Get a private instructor. Search the net/ask around your local guitar center and find someone giving lessons out of their home. Make sure they have a reputation. Usually if a guitar center employee drops their name, they're good.

Private lessons are great because they're usually pretty cheap and the instructor wants to be there and he concentrates a ton of time into the lessons.

Students at an academy or music store come and go like overweight men at a buffet line.
Most of them won't get serious with you until they see that you're going to stick around.

thats an ignorant generalization, and not true ^

Keep in mind that a "teacher from a store" IS a private lesson instructor that just happens to work at a store. They can be just as qualified and passionate as any instructor.

To the TS:

yes get a teacher if you can.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
thats an ignorant generalization, and not true ^

Keep in mind that a "teacher from a store" IS a private lesson instructor that just happens to work at a store. They can be just as qualified and passionate as any instructor.

To the TS:

yes get a teacher if you can.

True, I'm simply giving information based on my experiences, that's all. There's always good teachers out there. I've just found private instructors to be better than ones that work at un-accredited establishments.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
True, I'm simply giving information based on my experiences, that's all. There's always good teachers out there. I've just found private instructors to be better than ones that work at un-accredited establishments.

I can understand that. Its just by giving generalizations like that you might steer someone away from finding a great teacher that just happens to work out of a store.
shred is gaudy music
My opinion (again): It doesn't matter where you find a teacher, as long as they are qualified to teach guitar. Don't stick with an instructor if you don't feel like you're getting what you need. I went through three before I found my current instructor - and I don't think I can pay him enough.
Question: If someone had a teacher for a month and didnt show up for like 2 weeks is it ok for them to return to the same teacher?
Quote by diminishedtobme
Question: If someone had a teacher for a month and didnt show up for like 2 weeks is it ok for them to return to the same teacher?

Some of my students have done this before. They usually call and tell me they're not going to be there, in which case, I will make up that lesson with them at a later time (as they have already paid in advance).

If they just show up w/ out calling though, I assume that they forfeited that lesson and I won't make it up. It's okay to show up again though, just stay in contact with your teacher. Let him/her know what's going on.
Portugal. The Man »–
^K, thats a relief since I've been on vacation, I finished my payed leassons but Ill notified my teacher so he knows, so it would be ok if I return and start leassons with him again.