I've been playing guitar for a while, and just really want to understand the point of an effects loop on an amp. I've used pedal in front of the amp and never really had a problem, I just want to know if I'm missing something special?
An effects loop is basically so your effects don't get distorted in the preamp section of your amp...
Quote by Fungus Riot
I've been playing guitar for a while, and just really want to understand the point of an effects loop on an amp. I've used pedal in front of the amp and never really had a problem, I just want to know if I'm missing something special?

You may notice that putting pedals in front of your guitar will degrade your tone (unless your pedals have true bypass). Putting them in the effects loop essentially makes your pedals an extension of your amp's preamp, therefore leaving the tone of your guitar unchanged.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
yes and no, some pedals are made to be played in fron of an amp and some are made to be after your preamp stage..................effects like wah, overdrive are commonly used before the preamp....effects like chorus phaser etc. are used after the preamp..........there is no law but most people seem to have a common agreeance on this, mess around and see what suits your best......

the reasoning in placing certain effects before or after the preamp stage is some pedals will effect your tone in a negative way if places before the preamp stage, and some pedals will sound worse because of that preamp stage.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
i just got an amp with the effects loop and plugged in all my pedals into it, and this is not the best thing to do what ive found is that the wah pedal should go in the front of the amp and so should distortion chorus and the common affects like phaser and flanges, the pedals that should go in the back should be EQ's, compressors. sustainers, octaves, loop stations, things like that distortion and overdrive can go into the effects loop but its got a slightly different tone. if you put the wah pedal on the effects loop it in a since "floats" over your other pedals unlss its on front of the distortion pedals then it gets a dull wah. this is just from experiance and conversations ive had with other guitarists and people on UG.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!