i got my metronome that i ordered from ebay in the mail, and i dont know that many exercises to get sexy chops. wat i've been doing so far is groups of three with the pentatonic and chromatic scale, but i wanna know if those are good exercise and any other good ones that i can practice with the metronome to get shredding ability. ive also been doing a few sweeps. tabs would be great btw. stay metal

ps: i know that having insane chops wont make my music any better, i just need to spice up my soloes a bit and have a better range of soloes that i can learn.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Do you know your modes? Learning those in three string patterns is really the easiest way to create shred licks. Also, here's a Paul Gilbert one that has helped me a lot.

-------------------------
-------------7----------
---7-9-10----10-9---
------------------------

play it with six notes per beat using STRICT ALTERNATE PICKING beginning with a downstroke. Yes, this means you will hit the G string with an upstroke, but that is good. Start it slowly, and gradually build up speed. Move it around, do whatever, but don't rush yourself!!!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
yea i know my modes. i know all the "necessary" music theory
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Heres a great chromatic it has helped me alot.

e|---------------------------------------
b|---------------------------------------
g|-----------------------5678-9876---------------
d|----------------5678---------------9876--------
a|---------5678-----------------------------9876--
E|--5678--------------------------------------------9876
If you know your three note per string shapes, then just experiment and find some licks that you can repeat over and over and over again. And remember to challenge yourself! That's the only way to get better!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
yea ive really been pushing my metronome to the metal, im following john petrucci's principals from his dvd.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand