Anybody have a rough chart or table that shows what kind of power and cab size you need for a given venue size, given genre, indoor/outdoor, etc? It's hard for a first time serious amp buyer to guesstimate. We don't know the difference between underpowered and overkill.
For most Medium to Large gigs, you'll need 300 Watts or more.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
its about preference..

if you just play like heavy lead stuff... you want a loud amp with alot of speakers.
if you play rhythm, then you obviously should get something smaller..

a 100 watt half stack is probably the middle ground
Quote by ChemicalFire
For most Medium to Large gigs, you'll need 300 Watts or more.

for bass maybe but not guitar
it all depends on whether the venues have a PA or not.

If not, you will need probably a 400Wx2 stereo bass amp. In a medium (300 standing) to get a decent sound.

If yes, and they have foldback, then i've seen practise amps used. Srsly.

Where do you live? In the UK most venues will have decent PAs and stuff. But the feeling i get from america is that venues are pretty hit and miss.

Quote by pepsi1187

GTFO out the bass forum then, prat

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by pepsi1187

Third on my list, of "Guitarists who are so ignorant they don't check what forum they're in before posting"
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by pepsi1187
its about preference..

if you just play like heavy lead stuff... you want a loud amp with alot of speakers.
if you play rhythm, then you obviously should get something smaller..

a 100 watt half stack is probably the middle ground

*facepalm*

Bass forum man.

Honestly, I think 500 watts is a good round number. MOST places bigger than that will have a PA, but you never know.
haha.. my bad. its friday the 13th gimme a break.

anyways 300 watts is good.
Most places around here are kinda ghetto, typically I would be expected to provide most, if not all, of my own gear. At least half of the places that I am aware of provides nothing but AC power.
Why is everyone talking about guitars??
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Why is everyone talking about guitars??

I dunno, I'm definitely not.
Get some info about the venue you'll be playing a month or so in advance so you know what kinda PA they have. I feel a 300w could be good enough if the guitarists have 100/150w amps. And with PA it'll be even better. Also, i'm British and every gig i've played no matter how large or small has had a half decent PA system so I reckon its all down to chance as I have a gig coming up in a school which I think they don't have PA.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Get some info about the venue you'll be playing a month or so in advance so you know what kinda PA they have. I feel a 300w could be good enough if the guitarists have 100/150w amps. And with PA it'll be even better. Also, i'm British and every gig i've played no matter how large or small has had a half decent PA system so I reckon its all down to chance as I have a gig coming up in a school which I think they don't have PA.

Like I said, I know for sure that half the places have no PA at all. Some are small, some are acoustically dead. So, I guess I need worst case scenario... 400-500 people outside... rock music... you have no house PA... what do you need for a bass cab and amp?
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 13, 2008,
At a guess I would say 500 watts would do you, but I'm not sure about large outdoor venues :/

Damn this isn't the easiest of tasks.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by corndogggy
Like I said, I know for sure that half the places have no PA at all. Some are small, some are acoustically dead. So, I guess I need worst case scenario... 400-500 people outside... rock music... you have no house PA... what do you need for a bass cab and amp?

i'd say probs 1.2kW crown power amp, preamp of your choice.

2x4x10 and 2x1x18's stereo them up.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Went and saw some friends of mine play an outside gig tonight. Asked the bass guy what he's running... it was 1,500 watts to his stack, boost on the sub-bass, turned up to about halfway, not counting the PA system and it's 15" subs. It sounded pretty appropriate. Most of it was coming through the PA actually, I bet he was running 4,000 watts easily.
I manage to play in a decent size church with 250W into a 4x10 at about 75% master volume.

Power doesn't always equal volume, I think I heard somewhere that 10W is 50% the loudness of a 50W amp.
Quote by Jonnomainman
i'd say probs 1.2kW crown power amp, preamp of your choice.

2x4x10 and 2x1x18's stereo them up.

Mmmmm... that would be sweeet.

Quote by ShaggyDan
I manage to play in a decent size church with 250W into a 4x10 at about 75% master volume.

Power doesn't always equal volume, I think I heard somewhere that 10W is 50% the loudness of a 50W amp.

Churches are acoustically very good for music.

Also, to double the volume of something, you need to x10 the watts. So 100W is twice as loud as 10W. People heard changes in loudness, not volume.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by ShaggyDan

Depends on who you ask. The general rule of thumb is that double the power with the same drivers will give you a 3 decibel gain. Double your drivers with the same power and you get a 6 decibel gain. Some people say all it takes is a 3 decibel gain and it will sound twice as loud. Others say 6. The more correct approximation is about 10 decibels. To sound twice as loud as 10 watts, if you went by the 10 decibel rule, supposedly you'd have to double your power 3 times, then go a little above that... so basically 10-20-40-80... you're looking at around 100 watts to sound twice as loud as 10 watts. You'd have to double your drivers, double your power, and still go a little above that to make it twice as loud.

At our church we only use a little 12" combo amp by Hartke... turn it halfway up and it's more than enough for 250 people to hear, even with a mic'ed piano, organ with a $4,000 watt amp, choir, acoustic guitar over the PA system, a mandolin, drums, the congregation singing, and sometimes a keyboard. It's all in the acoustics. So, that's why I'm looking for worst case scenario.

At this point I am seriously considering making my own 4x12 cab out of neodymium speakers, and putting one of those 1,500 watt Carvin amps on it. One cab would be plenty, but if I made two cabs with 16 ohm speakers, I could have the whole thing pumping 1,900 watts into a single 2 ohm channel.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 16, 2008,
The bigger the venue, the more likely you'll be playing with a PA and the smaller your amp can be. I've even seen bands coming in without bass amp and just plugging right into the system with a DI-box.
I've played shows with my halfstack running at 240w that had up to 300 people.

When I see these posts about 2x400w stereo amping, 1.2 kW amps... That's what I call overkill. Most of the time you'll be asked to turn it down so you'll be paying a lot of money and carrying a lot of weight for a rig that you'll only use half (or less) of.
And be realistic. A show for 400-500 people outdoor without PA? Even for indoor it's crazy.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by FunkMaster
A show for 400-500 people outdoor without PA? Even for indoor it's crazy.

When I say 400-500 people, I mean all during the course of the night at a big bar, not all at one time. It happens. 250 during a 3-4 hour period is a normal night. If a radio station mentions it, it usually shoots up.
I read on a physics website, you gotta increase the decibel 10 times for it to sound twice as loud for the human ear, cos of the rate which the nerves in the cell send signals to the brain starts to saturate.
Quote by corndogggy
When I say 400-500 people, I mean all during the course of the night at a big bar, not all at one time. It happens. 250 during a 3-4 hour period is a normal night. If a radio station mentions it, it usually shoots up.

Then say 250... You don't go buying a truck so you can fit all 365 packages you transport during a year, when you only have one package a day...

350w can cover 250 people in a bar fairly easy depending on the genre.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...