Page 1 of 3
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?no_interstitial

Japan as set a limit to the waist size of their people and is being enforced by companies and local governments. The limit for men is 33.5 inches, and the limit for women is 35.4 inches. To the people that are overweight, the government will seek medical help and guidance programs to help the people lose weight.

I think this is ridiculous. I mean, it is nice to think about creating a healthier country, but to strictly enforce this is over reactive. I think advertising and promoting exercise and a healthier lifestyle is just fine. Something the U.S. needs to start working on. But to enforce a waist limit??!

Discuss.

Edit: I overreacted a little bit. I think it was just the shock factor. I never thought about how the limit really isn't that difficult for easterners. This is a GOOD idea.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Last edited by djrue211 at Jun 13, 2008,
USA should take the hint.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Sounds like a great idea. Too many fatties round these parts, I tell you what.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
So, most of the world is moaning about exceeding the popluations of the world, and the goernments are trying to keep people alive!? How dare they! /Sarcasm
I guess I can never go to Japan then.

It's not my fault I retain sexy.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Good idea.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Asian people tend to be built small and weedy, so a Japanese person with a waist of that would probably be quite excessive.

I don't think I'd have a 33" waist if I was put in concentration camp for two years - I'm built wrong!
I really don't see the problems with this.

They say that they'll help the overweight with the problem they have, what's so bad about that? Unless by that they mean throw them in a camp until they starve enough to lose the weight or something.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
They aren't DEMANDING they lose weight, they are just seeking out and providing care for those who need it.

It's NOT a bad idea at all.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
all i gotta say is im not fat at all im 6'1 and 175lbs and my waist is bigger that 33 inches i think they need to rethink that strategy
Quote by Eminored
The Pit is like the black market man. Everything's faster and you don't have to speak correct English.
What about the Sumo Wrestlers?
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Yeah, Japanese build is totally different to that of most Westerners. I mean a 34 here isn't "fat".
I think its fan-FUCKING-tastic. They definitely shoulda put that in effect here in america first.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Good on em. More Governments should do this. Although, 35 inches isn't that big by Western standards, I'm 32 and really skinny. It'd need adjusting for each place as Far Eastern people are generally smaller built than Westerners etc etc.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74

calm down
Quote by sparkysmith
What about the Sumo Wrestlers?

yea... what about sumo wrestlers?
I see no sign of fortress.
to be fair, those restrictions are probably a lot less restrictive than we see them. If they were put in the US there'd be riots :|
Quote by Firequacker
They aren't DEMANDING they lose weight, they are just seeking out and providing care for those who need it.

It's NOT a bad idea at all.
+1

Sounds like a good idea to me.
lol, i've always thought they should do this.. i never thought i'd see the day where it actually happens.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
"We're Americans and we'll get as fat as we damn well please! Hand me a big mac, i need more consumption and more capitalism!"
At least we can be sure that the constant supply of hot japanese school girl films will not be ruined by fatties with twinkies and ho-hos.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yeah, I think I just overreacted to the limit a bit when I first read it. Now when I really think about it, by eastern standards that really isn't that bad. And I'm sure Sumo's have a special exception.

It would be nice to see some more motivation by the U.S. government to stop obesity rather than a random billboard which no one pays attention too.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Quote by Phorgot
yea... what about sumo wrestlers?

When was the last time you saw a sumo wrestler with pants on? They wear diapers for god sakes...
Quote by diminishedtobme
They like their ladies thick.

So do I....
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Roots_radical
They should have the women thinner, but still a good idea.

Roots_radical: likes his men fat, and his women skinny.
Quote by smb
+1

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Agreed. Although Im with everyone that said the US should follow suit. It's be nice if Canada did too though, we have our fair share of obesity as well.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
So do I....

+ eleventeen
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
Ahhh Maybe that cant happen in america because there are too many people to ...................
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
Wow, that's terrible.

I mean, it's great that people are losing weight and getting healthier, but when it's done by force it kinda sends personal freedom down the shitter.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Wow, that's terrible.

I mean, it's great that people are losing weight and getting healthier, but when it's done by force it kinda sends personal freedom down the shitter.

Being fat is considered a disease. To deny people of treating a disease is pretty evil. I don't really agree with it, but then again I'm no doc.
What if someones tall and healthy, but their waist is big because they are proportional, are they just screwed?
Page 1 of 3