Hey ppl

I would like to purchase a epi dot studio ...but im left handed so i would need to switch it to lefty ... u think i'll have any problems doing it ? ..i dunno bridge ..nut ?

Cheers
I think they make lefty models.

But all you would have to do is flip the nut and intonate it correctly.
You can buy the regular Dot in a left-handed version.

As far as the Dot Studio goes, you could flip it over, but you'd need to replace the nut with one sloped for left-handed guitars, and you'd have to put up with all the electronics being topside, which with an archtop I imagine would get very annoying. You'd be better off just spending the extra money on a proper left-handed Dot.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
sorry ..i think that was my bad... i was reffering to the dot STUDIO ..yes the normal dot comes in lefty version aswel

flip the nut huh ... i would like to do that ...is it really necesary ? :P

thx
Quote by Kiddd
sorry ..i think that was my bad... i was reffering to the dot STUDIO ..yes the normal dot comes in lefty version aswel

flip the nut huh ... i would like to do that ...is it really necesary ? :P

thx

yes you would need to flip the nut because if you didn't, you wouldn't be able to fit the strings in the nutslots. Like you would be trying to fit a low e string in the space a high e usually goes and it just wouldn't work.

And just a friendly word of advice, don't triple post, the moderators don't take kindly to that
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
yes you would need to flip the nut because if you didn't, you wouldn't be able to fit the strings in the nutslots. Like you would be trying to fit a low e string in the space a high e usually goes and it just wouldn't work.

And just a friendly word of advice, don't triple post, the moderators don't take kindly to that

ok sorry about that .. but what is i cut the nut slots ...for the strings to fit ... i wouldt switchi it cose its a lowend guitar ..and u never know :P
$200 is good for a new one.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Actually, I wasn't thinking about the spacing for the strings at all...

The reaosn you'd have to get a new left-handed nut is because with Dots (and other archtops, including the Dot Studio), the nut is heavily slanted with the high e side much lower than the low E (all nuts should be lanted slightly, but with archtops, it's quite an extreme difference). If you just flipped it over and didn't change the nut, you'd be left with your high e far off the fretboard and the low E grinding against it - and even if you adjusted the bridge to compensate, that would only fix it from about halfway down the neck, the first five or six frets would still be completely screwed.

I also forgot, the angle of the bridge tune-o-matic piece will also be off, which will screw up your string tension and heavily mess up the intonation. Hendrix got away with fliping Strats because the Strat bridge is straight and can be intonated perfectly either way up, but the ToM bridge isn't even, it's angled, and that will always throw the intonation a bit off no matter how much you adjust it. And it's not like you can just flip the bridge (like you can with the nut), you'll need to drill through the top of the guitar and measure everythign accurately to the perfect millimetre and... well yeah, it would be a lot of effort.

Basically: it's a bad idea and you'll be wasting your money.

Just save up more and get a regular Dot in a left-handed configeration. It may cost more, but it's better to spend more now and get a guitar you can actually use, rather than spend less on a different guitar that you wouldn't be able to use anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
He could also do the Otis Rush and play a right handed guitar left handed.
In the old days there were lefty players that flipped hollow bodies but you had to hang the thing really high so everything wasnt in the way when playing. Considering they wore suits and ties wasnt an issue. But you are really going to hate a hollow body being flipped over. If your lucky you will be able to intonate if not only solution would be to redrill the holes for the sleeves. And yes you would need a new nut. An aftermarket one for lefties is pretty much imposible to come by. I have to make the ones for my lefty guitars from blanks. May be a good deal but probably not to good a deal for you.
ahh .. thx for the help guys expecially MrFlibble who pointed out evey detail ..thx

well tbh .. i have to choose betwin the epi and the agile tc630 ( lefty telecaster) ... im the only guitarist in my band(trio) ..we play rock/punk .. but i fear that the telecasters tone would be to weak ..haveing a single coil ..and well ...not enought to fill the sound of the whole band ..

so what do u guys think?
Last edited by Kiddd at Jun 13, 2008,