Hiya i dislike my tone it just isnt quite right the tone range that i am searching for is a slash tone to a santana tone i have a shecter s-1 elite with stockpickups a vox ad50vt and a digitech rp350 I just want to know what the next step is that will offer the most improvement in my tone a new guitar, new pickups, new amp, new pedal or whatever. THANX
New pickups should do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
if your set on emulating a guitar players tone.. the best way to do that is to use that guitarists equipment as close as you can
i dont want to emulate their tones i'm trying tofind my own but the sounds that i am searching for are smooth like santana and watever a god word is to describe slash
A new amp will give you the biggest/best tone change. If you have a budget we can make recommendations...
Quote by fretsonfire1
i dont want to emulate their tones i'm trying tofind my own but the sounds that i am searching for are smooth like santana and watever a god word is to describe slash

for santana, use the boutique OD amp model, and for slash, the UK80 model. leave the digitech out of the chain. play around with the EQ, and don't overuse gain.
Personally, I'd not use the effects pedal. The Schecter and the Vox should deliver the tones you're asking for. Maybe you need to put a little more work into setting everything up right?

Just suggesting.

EDIT: I see that the red strat has read my thoughts and formed them into a reply before I could do so! Curse you, red strat, curse you!
Quote by ratmblink123
New pickups should do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really, really no.

If I remember it correctly, try the presets 49, 53 and 69 on the RP350. Those should start you off roughly in the right ballpark, then tweak them as you see fit

Though the general rule of thumb for those kinds of tones is go for all-around average settings. Slash uses middle settings with just a slight mid boost and average amp overdrive; Santana uses about the same but with a slight treble boost and the amp gain rolled back a touch more.
Also don't forget to use your guitar's tone control. Most of the tones by those two guys are achieved with the tone knobs rolled back at least part way.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by ratmblink123

Unlikely.

New amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheQuailman
Personally, I'd not use the effects pedal. The Schecter and the Vox should deliver the tones you're asking for. Maybe you need to put a little more work into setting everything up right?

Just suggesting.

EDIT: I see that the red strat has read my thoughts and formed them into a reply before I could do so! Curse you, red strat, curse you!

Quote by acoginthesystem
Move your toggle switch to rhythm.

HEY thanks for everyones comments except the one hear all of them offer at least some improvement. and go ahead and throw out any suggestions for gear. i noticed no body said anything about gettin a new pedal i personally thought everyone would suggest this
Use a neck pickup to get smooth sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by fretsonfire1
HEY thanks for everyones comments except the one hear all of them offer at least some improvement. and go ahead and throw out any suggestions for gear. i noticed no body said anything about gettin a new pedal i personally thought everyone would suggest this

There's nothing wrong with his suggestion - it's the easiest one and also the cheapest.

Buying something new isn't the answer for every tiny guitar related issue, sometimes the most obvious solutions are the most effective.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't underestimate the power of the toggle switch! A lot of the Solo sounds of Santana and Slash are played through the neck pickup. It can give you that singing, midrange driven tone those guys have.
And like MrFlibble said, try rolling back the tone knobs, this is especially helpful for that nasal Santana sound.
hey thanx for input to help with my current gear setup but plz suggest some gear to improve the sound even further keep watever it is under 1000
Quote by fretsonfire1
hey thanx for input to help with my current gear setup but plz suggest some gear to improve the sound even further keep watever it is under 1000

Under $1000? Buy a used Mesa Express, MK IV, F30, or something similar... should give you a brilliant Santana/ GNR sound when you use your neck pickup.
Santana's tone is in his hands. The guy has played PRS, Gibson, Yamaha, etc,,, and always sounds like Santana.

If you're looking to capture part of someone's sound pickups are not going to do it. Study their playing and phrasing. That is really the best way to incorporate someone's style/sound into yours.

If Santana picked up your guitar he would still sound like Santana. If you picked up his would you sound like him or sound like you?

I don't mean that as an insult at all, I'm just pointing out that practice will make more of difference then pickups or a stomp box will.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Santana's tone is in his hands. The guy has played PRS, Gibson, Yamaha, etc,,, and always sounds like Santana.

No, it's really not.

The way his music sounds is in his hands, they control his phrasing, style, and the feel of the music, but not his guitar tone. If he played through EVH's rig, he'd still sound like Santana- but his actual tone would be thinner, crunchier, and more aggressive. You can't control things like that with your fingers.
I'd leave out the Digitech. I personally don't like the effects especially for an OD sound that Slash uses.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
No, it's really not.

The way his music sounds is in his hands, they control his phrasing, style, and the feel of the music, but not his guitar tone. If he played through EVH's rig, he'd still sound like Santana- but his actual tone would be thinner, crunchier, and more aggressive. You can't control things like that with your fingers.

I think you're saying exactly what I'm saying - he would still sound like Santana.

The pickups or amp don't make someone a great player. Sure, they help make someone sound their best - but it's the way someone plays the guitar that makes their sound unique.

The average person doesn't know a Strat from a DX-7 but if Clapton is playing a lot of people will know it's him - even if he's playing a 335 or a Strat - still sounds like Clapton.
i know great players have their own sound but i want to find my sounds and the sound that i think i want reminds me of slash and santana
turn ur tone knob to 0. there ya go
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
for the dirty slash sounds i would just reccomend if your willing to shell out major bucks a les paul classic and as old of a marshall stack as you can possibly find if you can get the exact one he has i would but once again your talking about gear that probably cost as much as your car
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.