Right iv been playing guitar for around 3 years (like a month off) and i decided its time too start learning abit off theory.. I know the pentertonic scales and am goin too learn the Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor scales and most likly the majors for both of them but im currently practising the "hopscotch Method" for the pentertonic but iv basically got that down soo im ready too move on from that on too learning a new scale but i know how too fit the right scale with the rhythem part (ish) i know about rote notes kinda (I know most of the basics) but like i said i want too start learning abit of basic theory and wonderd where i should start.

Cheers!
The major scale and the natural minor scale are the two most important things to learn. Learn about chords, even if you play metal and will never actually play a chord knowing how they work will add a lot to your music especially your solos. O and btw I am practicing the "hopscotch method" also.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
Ohh and i kinda know about keys (as in what scale too use over a rhythem piece)
i would say learn all the notes on your guitar first, then learn to read music, then learn the easiest key, which is C..then learn the formation of chords, being the I. III, V of the scale put together and so on...if you need any help. just ask!
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Right iv been playing guitar for around 3 years (like a month off) and i decided its time too start learning abit off theory.. I know the pentertonic scales and am goin too learn the Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor scales and most likly the majors for both of them but im currently practising the "hopscotch Method" for the pentertonic but iv basically got that down soo im ready too move on from that on too learning a new scale but i know how too fit the right scale with the rhythem part (ish) i know about rote notes kinda (I know most of the basics) but like i said i want too start learning abit of basic theory and wonderd where i should start.

Cheers!

Learn how diantonic music works (major and then minor) in great depth before learning anything else. It is the basis of most western music and it's important you know not just the box shapes but the theory behind them so you can understand more advanced things later.