Now, I'm going to Portugal soon, from the UK (this is on EasyJet). I've looked at the rules and regs on taking musical intruments on board, and my case is 10 cm too wide to take on holiday with me as hand luggage. I could put it in the hold, but I'm not risking it. If I just took it on the day do you think I could get away with it? Has anyone here any experience with guitars and travel?

Cheers,
Gerbs
Just bring it in board. When somenoe says "I'm sorry sir, that's too large to take on" just say "I checked the regulations and it is within the size limit so I'm keeping it."

I doubt they'll whip out a measuring tape to prove you wrong.
If they say no offer them sexual favours
Quote by VoodooChild15
I used to take my penis out and touch stuff with it when no one was looking.

Quote by teensean
THANK YOU!!! i love you Snyde_Platypus!!!

I explained "lulz" =D
^ You'd be surprised, they're dicks about that kinda stuff.

Good thread though, because I want to take mine on a plane in October as well. I took it on one last year and it was fine, but the bastard baggage guys just threw the case apparently, because it was dented and the headstock on my Les Paul broke off at the nut. Bastards. >=[
it was dented and the headstock on my Les Paul broke off at the nut.

Which is why I won't put it in the hold.

The only real problem is getting it on board, I think - all those checks beforehand... It's all a bit sh1te if I'm honest
I'm almost certain they'll make you put it in the hold.

Oh and by the way, always remember to loosen or completely take strings off the guitar as pressure in the plane will a) cause them to snap, and b) as a result, may snap the neck.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Gerbs

The only real problem is getting it on board, I think - all those checks beforehand... It's all a bit sh1te if I'm honest

Ah yes, sorry I must have missed that bit when I was replying.

Yeah, don't do that. I glued it back, actually, with some Gorilla glue and it works. Still not the same though.
Quote by metalderek
^ You'd be surprised, they're dicks about that kinda stuff.

Good thread though, because I want to take mine on a plane in October as well. I took it on one last year and it was fine, but the bastard baggage guys just threw the case apparently, because it was dented and the headstock on my Les Paul broke off at the nut. Bastards. >=[

That's why if I ever bring something valuable and breakable abroad, I always get a hold of some bubble wrap to surround the thing with just incase that were to happen.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Buy a ticket for your guitar, that way it counts as a passenger not hand luggage.
Quote by Gerbs

They'd probably get suspicious due to all of the metal bitz though. Can't you insurance or something for your luggage?
I took my acoustic to Switzerland a few months ago on EasyJet and it was no problem at all.
It counts as hand-luggage unless you have a hard case then it can go in the hold thing.

It fit easily into overhead storage and everything was fine.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
TO TICKET POST:

Yeah - but in the holiday season the ticket's would cost about 150% of the amount I bought the guitar for... and I'm not made of cash =P

ACOUSTIC POST:

My acoustic is electro as well, so they'd get all skitsy about the wiring inside it... X|
Quote by Gerbs
ACOUSTIC POST:

My acoustic is electro as well, so they'd get all skitsy about the wiring inside it... X|

Why would they?

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Gerbs

ACOUSTIC POST:

take it out and put it with your luggage
Quote by shrdtilyourdead
take it out and put it with your luggage

Wouldn't they just check the luggage then? It's still 'suspicious' wiring...
i brought my guitar from america to scotland and had it in the hold... it was in a hardshell gator case and absolutely nothing bad happened to my guitar ... but the case got bend at on of the ends (nothing too major though). I'd suggest takin your chances in the hold, fill the case with extra padding if need be.
Quote by Gerbs
Wouldn't they just check the luggage then? It's still 'suspicious' wiring...

who cares???

its not like your going to be transporting dildos are you??
I did this:
Israel ---> Spain ---> Argentina with my guitar taking it with me.
Didn't have a problem. There were about 3 more people with guitars in the plane.
During Israel ---> Spain, they let me put it in the wheelchairs room.
During Spain ---> Israel, they made me put it in the bags compartment over the seats.
It wasn't in a hardcase, and arrived perfectly.
The other ones with hardcases were also okay.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
I did this:
Israel ---> Spain ---> Argentina with my guitar taking it with me.
Didn't have a problem. There were about 3 more people with guitars in the plane.
During Israel ---> Spain, they let me put it in the wheelchairs room.
During Spain ---> Israel, they made me put it in the bags compartment over the seats.
It wasn't in a hardcase, and arrived perfectly.
The other ones with hardcases were also okay.

According to my dad, those countries are a lot more relaxed than the UK - however, I think I'm just going to go with it - I may as well try...
Quote by metalderek
the bastard baggage guys just threw the case apparently, because it was dented and the headstock on my Les Paul broke off at the nut. Bastards. >=[

was it in a really good flight case, or just a regular hard case?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I'm going to spain soon and want to take my guitar. I don't have any case that fits my acoustic now but I was planning on buying a hardcase, not sure if I want to risk taking it on the plane as I'm probably going to be buying a low end case. Think I could get a cheap guitar when I'm over there or should I attempt bringing it as hand luggage?

And sorry for the slight thread jack
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
If it comes to putting it in the hold then use a hard-case or something and pack it full of buublewrap.

Pillows too.
If anyones wondering in regards to flying Delta here's there page on musical instruments
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/fragile_bulky/musical_instruments/index.jsp
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Ask if there is room in the closet of airplane. If not, put by the entrance to the plane where strollers sometimes are, and it will be there when you reach your destination.
Quote by josh999x
Buy a ticket for your guitar, that way it counts as a passenger not hand luggage.

thats a good idea, i'll have to remember that if i fly with my guitar
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Gerbs
According to my dad, those countries are a lot more relaxed than the UK - however, I think I'm just going to go with it - I may as well try...

They are, mainly because the threat of terrorism is much less.

Quote by josh999x

This.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT