Page 1 of 2
I see everybody always saying the amp makes more of a difference than a guitar. Well I have tried an Epi and my Ibanez, and a JCM800, and a roland cube.

The epi has the craptacular epi pups. The ibanez has D Activator X pickups which are some of the best ever.

And the amps are also two extremes. The cube is an awesome little amp. The JCM800 is the best amp of all time in my opinion.

Well The ibanez sounds a lot better on both amps , than the epi in even the JCM. The epi pups sounds fuzzy and completely undefined. The sound with the epi is not just muddy but fuzzy.

The ibanez with the Dimarzios sounded better on the cube than the epi on the JCM800.

I think pickups make more difference. As long as the amps sound pristine enough.
when you have a great amp like yours then of course pickups matter - however most of the "which pickups" threads seem to be made by Spider, MG and Cube users...which is why 90% of the time the reply is "new amp".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
duh?

sorry to be a jerk, but of course pickups effect your sound. Everyone would have the same ones if they didn't
Well pickups are the largest contributor to tone on the guitar itself.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
WHat I mean is the EPI sounded worst through the JCM than the Ibanez through the CUbe. THe Epi always made the sound fuzzy and annoying. The dimarzios on the other hand sounded smoother even in the cube
Quote by nyandres
WHat I mean is the EPI sounded worst through the JCM than the Ibanez through the CUbe. THe Epi always made the sound fuzzy and annoying. The dimarzios on the other hand sounded smoother even in the cube

That's because the differences between pickups are far more marked through something like the JCM so you'll likely have to muck around with the EQ with two such different guitars.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That's because the differences between pickups are far more marked through something like the JCM so you'll likely have to muck around with the EQ with two such different guitars.

he was making a statement not asking for advice.
ITT: Someone who doesn't know how a guitar's sound is produced rants while others facepalm themselves to death.

Of course pickups matter. But more than amp? Only once your amp is already unbeatable... which is basically like saying what wood your fretboard is made of matters more than the body wood... just assuming you've got a flawless slab of wood for the body and neck to begin with.

Hell with your logic, I could argue that the most tonally important part of the guitar is the truss rod cover... so long as the amp, cables, pedals, wood, electronics, hardware, finish and strings are all perfect anyway.

It may be a correct statement, but you're blowing it out of proportion and you're not explaining it correctly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
ITT: Someone who doesn't know how a guitar's sound is produced rants while others facepalm themselves to death.

Of course pickups matter. But more than amp? Only once your amp is already unbeatable... which is basically like saying what wood your fretboard is made of matters more than the body wood... just assuming you've got a flawless slab of wood for the body and neck to begin with.

Hell with your logic, I could argue that the most tonally important part of the guitar is the truss rod cover... so long as the amp, cables, pedals, wood, electronics, hardware, finish and strings are all perfect anyway.

It may be a correct statement, but you're blowing it out of proportion and you're not explaining it correctly.

i think you are right and wrong is some cases. if you have a good amp and ****ty pickups then you wasted money. if your pickups are great and you have a ****ty amp it will sound bad. you need to have balence. if you are saving you money to get a laney amp and you have stoc epi pickups then you need new pickups first. but sometimes you need the origional pickups to keep its value. its all personal, just the way guitar should be
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by mmjohn
he was making a statement not asking for advice.

And steven seagull was telling him the facts whether he was asking for it or not.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by steven seagull

+1

TS, try tweaking the EQ on the JCM 800 when you're running the Epi through it; you'll probably be surprised. If you can't make the JCM 800 on ANY EQ settings sound better than the Microcube, you're either not trying hard enough or you don't know how to EQ your amp.

EDIT: I sounded too much like a jackass.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
And steven seagull was telling him the facts whether he was asking for it or not.

lol................read his STATEMENT.............he's wasn't ASKING a question he was GIVING his opinion. he did a study and passed information along.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by surge666
i think you are right and wrong is some cases. if you have a good amp and ****ty pickups then you wasted money. if your pickups are great and you have a ****ty amp it will sound bad. you need to have balence. if you are saving you money to get a laney amp and you have stoc epi pickups then you need new pickups first. but sometimes you need the origional pickups to keep its value. its all personal, just the way guitar should be

The problem is that most of the people who ask for new pickup recommendations have a terrible amp because they mistakenly believe that changing out the craptacular stock pickups in their Squier Strat for DiMarzio YJMs will suddenly make them sound like Malmsteen. If people who have a good amp ask for pickup recommendations then they are given quite freely.

Edit: and in my opinion anyone who buys a guitar for anything other than to play it should put it down and leave it for someone who will use it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mmjohn
lol................read his STATEMENT.............he's wasn't ASKING a question he was GIVING his opinion. he did a study and passed information along.

and your POINT is?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by mmjohn

Are you of the opinion then that no one should bother replying? Why exactly then did you?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by mmjohn

ohhh, ok, it was a study. see i thought he just tried out a couple of guitars and amps.

see this is a forum, for it to work, we all need to click the "submit reply" button from time to time. there ya go.

and TS, every case is different. that's why we usually ask, what amp are you using. are you in a band, and so on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
he made a comment that the answer is not always BUY A NEW AMP. some times it is the PICKUP's. i replied because i READ what was posted his opipion and saw someone give him unwarranted advice! forums also are where you dicuss and INFORM your fellow...........this case guitarist. he does not ask HOW do i make an epi with craptacular pickup sound better. he said THEY sound like crap even on a great amp jcm 800 and a very common Practice amp. he was trying to help educate people here at the Forums. instead he get someone Giving him advice he was not asking for!
i agree with him you can't polish a Turd.............if it a crappy pickup.........it will just still sound crappy on a great amp! but a great pickup will sound Better even if it not the best amp in the world. there are alot of member who just cant run out and BUY A NEW AMP. but for alot less money you can buy a new pickup!!!!!! and also in some cases learn to work on their guitars!!
if you play clean it matters. if you play with walls of distortion your guitar and amp matter a lot less. why spend the $ on an old Fender or Marshall if you're going to put a mountain of gain on it anyway
Quote by mmjohn
he made a comment that the answer is not always BUY A NEW AMP. some times it is the PICKUP's. i replied because i READ what was posted his opipion and saw someone give him unwarranted advice! forums also are where you dicuss and INFORM your fellow...........this case guitarist. he does not ask HOW do i make an epi with craptacular pickup sound better. he said THEY sound like crap even on a great amp jcm 800 and a very common Practice amp. he was trying to help educate people here at the Forums. instead he get someone Giving him advice he was not asking for!
!

calm down. you're not making any sense. just say, "wow, i really agree" and be done with it.

the guy wrote something, hoping others would respond, and some guys did.

for the life of me, i can't imagine why you even care.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
calm down. you're not making any sense. just say, "wow, i really agree" and be done with it.

the guy wrote something, hoping others would respond, and some guys did.

for the life of me, i can't imagine why you even care.

if that doesn't make sense your computer screen needs to be in braille.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
ohhh, ok, it was a study. see i thought he just tried out a couple of guitars and amps.

see this is a forum, for it to work, we all need to click the "submit reply" button from time to time. there ya go.

and TS, every case is different. that's why we usually ask, what amp are you using. are you in a band, and so on.

And that need is very strong. I've tried getting help, the doctor gave me some patches but they don't seem to work. I just ended up writing captions on them and sticking them to my cats

This must be what it's like when your little sister sticks up for you in a fight
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 14, 2008,
It really depend... Of course jumping from a bad pickup to a good pickup will make bigger different than jumping from a decent amp to a good amp.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

But you're comparing apples and oranges here

actives with passives of course they sound different but i can't imagine actives sounding good on a cube
wouldn't that be the old typicaL ANGRY BEES IN A BOX?
Quote by steven seagull
And that need is very strong. I've tried getting help, the doctor gave me some patches but they don't seem to work. I just ended up writing captions on them and sticking them to my cats

This must be what it's like when your little sister sticks up for you in a fight

oh, sorry i couldn't help it.

mom want's to know if you can take out the trash before you go out today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by zxkevkop
But you're comparing apples and oranges here

actives with passives of course they sound different but i can't imagine actives sounding good on a cube
wouldn't that be the old typicaL ANGRY BEES IN A BOX?

neither pickup was a active pickup. hence the name D activator.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
in my opinion anyone who buys a guitar for anything other than to play it should put it down and leave it for someone who will use it.

+1
HiMyNameIsMatt
I tried four guitars. But the epiphone, and the ibanez are most comparable. After all I tried both pickups on both. I tried all sorts of combinations, and the guitar with the dimarzios always sounded better. I did pickup switch cause I wanted to know myself and I want to help others. I hope that work does not go to waste.

I also tried all sorts of equalizations, and the DMarzios always sounded better. It could be that the problem is the JCM isnt the most versatile amp in the world, but it does not distract from the fact that most money does not need to go on the amp. It needs to be a balance. The pickups are only about $160 for both pickups. The JCM is much more expensive. A cheaper but good quality amp and great pickups will sound better than the crap pickups in the epi, through a great amp.

My point is the consensus here is WAY off. Its not about the amp, its about balance. The cube is not a bad amp. Its pretty good. The JCM is one of the best amps. In other words the end result/sound quality will only be as good as the weakest link in the rig
Last edited by nyandres at Jun 14, 2008,
So you're saying that good+good is better than crap+good? Well, I never would have guessed!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by nyandres
I tried four guitars. But the epiphone, and the ibanez are most comparable. After all I tried both pickups on both. I tried all sorts of combinations, and the guitar with the dimarzios always sounded better. I did pickup switch cause I wanted to know myself and I want to help others. I hope that work does not go to waste.

I also tried all sorts of equalizations, and the DMarzios always sounded better. It could be that the problem is the JCM isnt the most versatile amp in the world, but it does not distract from the fact that most money does not need to go on the amp. It needs to be a balance. The pickups are only about $160 for both pickups. The JCM is much more expensive. A cheaper but good quality amp and great pickups will sound better than the crap pickups in the epi, through a great amp.

My point is the consensus here is WAY off. Its not about the amp, its about balance. The cube is not a bad amp. Its pretty good. The JCM is one of the best amps. In other words the end result/sound quality will only be as good as the weakest link in the rig

This is all true but the fact of the matter is that all the people who come here and ask for pickups suggestions who only have spiders and cubes want to get a certain sound that, for the most part, just isn't available to that amp and they don't understand that a small pickups change won't turn their cube into a fire-belching half stack of doom.

The n00bs want their little practice amp to sound like a professional touring rig and it's just not possible. Tell me, even with the difference that the pickups made to the cube did it still sound anywhere near as full and toneful as the JCM?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MrFlibble
So you're saying that good+good is better than crap+good? Well, I never would have guessed!

Dont be a wise ass

THe JCM is Way better than just good. Its perhaps one of the best amp ever made, and in my opinion the best there is

BEst of the market+ crap=crap

good+good=good

Isn't that more logical.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This is all true but the fact of the matter is that all the people who come here and ask for pickups suggestions who only have spiders and cubes want to get a certain sound that, for the most part, just isn't available to that amp and they don't understand that a small pickups change won't turn their cube into a fire-belching half stack of doom.

The n00bs want their little practice amp to sound like a professional touring rig and it's just not possible. Tell me, even with the difference that the pickups made to the cube did it still sound anywhere near as full and toneful as the JCM?

Actually even though it was not as big sounding, the tone was a lot more pleasing to listen to. However playing with an EQ I was able to get a more proffesional sound with the dimarzios at all cases, than playing with the EQ on the Epi pups.
Quote by SenorSmiley
if you had no pickups an amp really wouldn't do you much good
and if you have no fingers....
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
if you don't have fingers u can play with your toes. haven't you ever seen that guy on pbs?

or you could tune down and play with a hook hand like the kids with 1 finger playing at GC
Quote by yoyodunno
Your logic on the original post was bad, but now you are starting to explain your point better.

The only thing i did not explain in the first post was that I equalized. I thought that would be obvious. I understand that with the different voicings its an unfair comparison without EQ.

THe epi pups are the worst stock pups I ever heard.
yeah but, worst stock pups ever, (which by the way usually belong to ibanez imo, but whatever) probably wont sound good thru anything.

the thing here, is that most of the time, the guy has a starter pack. and is asking about pup upgrades.
nothing will sound good thru a starter pack amp.

i like to ask questions so the TS gets the most improvement from his money.
it's silly to think the answer is the same for everyone's situation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah but, worst stock pups ever, (which by the way usually belong to ibanez imo, but whatever) probably wont sound good thru anything.

the thing here, is that most of the time, the guy has a starter pack. and is asking about pup upgrades.
nothing will sound good thru a starter pack amp.

i like to ask questions so the TS gets the most improvement from his money.
it's silly to think the answer is the same for everyone's situation.

no sh1t sherlock that was the whole point.
Page 1 of 2