I learned Eruption by Van Halen a while back and I can play it decent, but I have a question about tapping. Whenenver I tap the volume of the notes drops substantially but it doesn't for Van Halen, and also in Eruption the amp effect seems to change in an instant. Why/how is this happening.

Thanks.
One reason for the volume drop might be that you're not hitting the string hard/precisely enough, so the solution would be practicing it more in that case. Try using a lot of gain, it helps with tapping sections.
Quote by TheQuailman
One reason for the volume drop might be that you're not hitting the string hard/precisely enough, so the solution would be practicing it more in that case. Try using a lot of gain, it helps with tapping sections.

Ohhh trust me, I'm hitting um hard enough.

Are you supposed to "pull-off" while you tap or simply just hit the strings at 90 degree angles?
oh yea more gain makes everything better

you should work on your hammer on/pull off exercises. you might need to get a little altitude when you hammer to make the note ring out at the same volume as if you picked it. don't use the more gain excuse, it doesnt really help you with your technique.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Are you supposed to "pull-off" while you tap

yes

EDIT: what amp and guitar are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Fender strat, and Fender Frontman (25r) amp. I'm using a Digitech RP50 effect pedal though, like a crunchy rock effect.

hmm. i'd say it's probably still technique, but go to a shop and try to play on a tube amp with a guitar with a bridge humbucker to see if that helps. if not, it's your technique.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When you do the pull off, kind of pull the string toward the ground with the tapping finger. I'm not calling you a bad player, but 99% of the time when someone says the tapping volume is to quite, it's a technique problem.

Just practice.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!