...help?
Like the title says, I've noticed that the strings are starting to eat into the wood around my bridge (where they come up out of the body) on my acoustic. Is there anything I can do to stop this? The wood around the bridge is rosewood if it matters.
Quote by n47713
a lubricant, graphite+vaseline

On the wood itself? If so, how often would I need to apply it?
is the wood finished? if it is apply once see what happens, replace as often as needed
Some strings, like the Martin SP mediums come with a silk wound end to help prevent the string from cutting into the bridge. You can try those if you want.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
I'm thinking that lubricant probably wouldnt help and could possibly make it worse because the strings will be able to move more freely, cutting into the wood more... could be wrong there but i doubt it will help all the same.

Sounds like the break angle of the strings could be too low making it so that the strings dig into the bridge. Not sure how this would be fixed though.
pics please just from what i hear i agree with johnos sounds like your saddle is to low and the break angle of the strings is what is causing it.
Quote by anita prs bad
pics please just from what i hear i agree with johnos sounds like your saddle is to low and the break angle of the strings is what is causing it.

i third the motion.

Keeping your bridge wood lubricated and moisturized is important, but i dont believe it has anything to do with the wood being worn away by the strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks for the advice, I'll post a link for pics tomorrow. I keep it moisturized with a wood conditioner, and what you said about the lubricant making it eat in more makes sense... I didn't know about the silk coating, are there any other brands besides Martin that do that?
Quote by KSUGuy
Some strings, like the Martin SP mediums come with a silk wound end to help prevent the string from cutting into the bridge. You can try those if you want.

wait a sec... which one would that be? O__o i've never heard of this before... and i have a pack of Martin SPs right next to me.

EDIT: I did some research. They're the Martin SP Marquis strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
wait a sec... which one would that be? O__o i've never heard of this before... and i have a pack of Martin SPs right next to me.

EDIT: I did some research. They're the Martin SP Marquis strings.

Lol, thats them. Have a pack sitting on my desk right now, I really like them.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********