I am starting month three of guitar lessons. My teacher started me out with from the beginning teaching me what I believe is guitar theory. He is having me committ to memory the fretboard, chords, how chords are created, barre chords, scales and stuff like this. I am 35 and really just want to jam. I want to be able to play music. I want to be well rounded as well. My question is, is he teaching me the right things and stuff? I am told all this stuff he is really teaching is actually just theory. Am I correct? I am practicing for about two hours a day or more depending on my schedule. I think I am wanting too much too soon because I am feeling like I should be much farther along than I am. Where should I reasonably expect to be with the time I have put in? Thanks for the help.
Do you ever learn songs from tabs? If not I'd do that. It's fun and it gets you jamming quicker. All the theory he's teaching you is important and it will help you learn and understand things better and it's the first step to knowing how to create songs, but If you just want to jam I'd start learning more songs.
Quote by samtastic6
I am starting month three of guitar lessons. My teacher started me out with from the beginning teaching me what I believe is guitar theory. He is having me committ to memory the fretboard, chords, how chords are created, barre chords, scales and stuff like this. I am 35 and really just want to jam. I want to be able to play music. I want to be well rounded as well. My question is, is he teaching me the right things and stuff? I am told all this stuff he is really teaching is actually just theory. Am I correct? I am practicing for about two hours a day or more depending on my schedule. I think I am wanting too much too soon because I am feeling like I should be much farther along than I am. Where should I reasonably expect to be with the time I have put in? Thanks for the help.

Well every teacher has their own approach. personally I don't agree with your teachers as you explained it. I wouldn't bring up theory to someone in the 1st 3 months, I consider that to be far too early.

Its not a matter of whether its the right stuff, but rather whether its the right stuff at the right time for you.

It sounds like you just want to learn some songs so you can enjoy playing.
I would probably get you going on some basic chords, and maybe some easy songs when you seemed ready. Once you got to a point where you could play a bit and enjoy it, then I might see if your interested in the theory aspects.

Anyway, 3 months is not very long, give it time, and possibly look into some other teachers. Personally I think hes giving you stuff that is not appropriate for a beginner. A teacher should be able to access each students situation and guide them to achieving their personal goals.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by samtastic6
My question is, is he teaching me the right things and stuff? I am told all this stuff he is really teaching is actually just theory. Am I correct? .

No, strictly speaking, a bunch of that isn't theory. It's more guitar skills -- like
knowing the note names on the fretboard, barre chords. Anything that's specifically
guitar isn't really theory because theory is independent of the instrument.

It sounds like that stuff would be useful to be sure, however, there's no reason
he couldn't also be showing you some fairly simple jamming basics and have you
start applying some stuff. You don't need to know EVERYTHING before you start
doing that.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well every teacher has their own approach. personally I don't agree with your teachers as you explained it. I wouldn't bring up theory to someone in the 1st 3 months, I consider that to be far too early.

Its not a matter of whether its the right stuff, but rather whether its the right stuff for you.

I would probably get you going on some basic chords, and maybe some easy songs when you seemed ready.

Anyway, 3 months is not very long, give it time, and possibly look into some other teachers. Personally I think hes giving you stuff that is not appropriate for a beginner.

I disagree, you need to know the notes, scales, first. Especially if you want to jam with other musicians. Unless you have an incredible natural ear for pitch, its a pretty good idea to know the key the band is playing in. If you want to do some experimental noise rock or something, then by all means fire your teacher. But it seems like hes doing the right thing. Theres nothing more frustrating then trying to tell another guitar player what to do and he just stares at you, dumbfounded, so you have to take 5 minutes to go over every finger placement on every fret using fret numbers rather than just saying "FFS its a D7" and making everything nice and easy.

Having said that, I do agree that 3 months isnt really a long time to be playing, keep at it, youll get what you want out of music sooner or later.
Quote by tdopz
I disagree, you need to know the notes, scales, first. Especially if you want to jam with other musicians. Unless you have an incredible natural ear for pitch, its a pretty good idea to know the key the band is playing in. If you want to do some experimental noise rock or something, then by all means fire your teacher. But it seems like hes doing the right thing. Theres nothing more frustrating then trying to tell another guitar player what to do and he just stares at you, dumbfounded, so you have to take 5 minutes to go over every finger placement on every fret using fret numbers rather than just saying "FFS its a D7" and making everything nice and easy.

Having said that, I do agree that 3 months isnt really a long time to be playing, keep at it, youll get what you want out of music sooner or later.

you can disagree if you want. I've taught for a long time, and I know full well that what you "need" varies from person to person and from situation to situation.

teaching calculus before simple addition and subtraction doesnt make much sense for a math class. Well neither does teaching theory to someone that isnt ready for it.

Its a matter of starting with the basics and building from there. Teaching something thats over a students head is wasted time.
shred is gaudy music
If you just wanna jam..just look up some tabs on the tab section.
If the tabs gives you a headache and it takes you forever to figure them out.
Comprehending how chords and scales are formed....it'll help a lot

If what you ment by "jam"...is to be able to play with others...maybe just
to be a ble to play rythem. It'll help you to be able to learn song parts
faster.
Knowing the fret board, chords, scales helps....becuase a jam session shouldn't be
a guitar lesson session.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 13, 2008,
Do what he's teaching you but also look up some tabs of some easy songs you like and learn them.
i wish my teacher would teach me theory as he teaches me technic

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by samtastic6

It sounds fine to me - basically he's covering all the stuff people are less likely to discover for themselves, or even know about. The guitar is a musical instrument, a good teacher will make sure you approach it that way from the start. Ultimately though he;s givng you the tools to help you learn on your own. Learning techniques and stuff is pretty easy to do on your own, there's plenty of easily digestible information out there.

Don't forget that you only spend an hour or two a week with your teacher, he's not expecting you to only do what he teaches you, there's nothing to stop you learning songs or techniques over and above that. Maybe ask him for some suggestions of songs to learn to help demonstrate the things he's covered in some sort of practical context.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you wont be able to "just jam" unless you know the basics, which is what it sounds like to me, he is teaching you, you will need to know chords and note names and things like that to be able to make music. stick with it, to me, it sounds like he is teaching you the right stuff.
Quote by samtastic6

Yeah, he's teaching you the right stuff. Learning "theory" is part of learning to take control of your sound, and you're doing well if you're onto barre chords and can play em properly.
As GuitarMunky said, I would start you off on the open chords and teach you strumming patterns, I would then introduce some easy songs that use the chords and strumming patterns you have learnt.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
memorising chords and the fretboard... thats what you start off with... memorising how to MAKE chords... do that a little later

but other than that... like scales and everything, hes doin well i reckon.

i mean.. if hes teachin you the different shapes of a major scale so that you can work all the way up the fretboard without gettin lost.. thats awesome.. 'cause everythin is based off the major scale... too much more than that in the first 3 months and it gets boring...

tell him you wanna jam... tell him that you've found 4 chords that you really like and would like to know how to put a simple (in key) solo on top of them... thats a great way to discreetly tell your teacher your bored and are into jammin (or something like that)
Yes I am on guitar monkeys side. In no way would i advise agaisnt learning theory but starting off straight on theory and not on basic strumming playing little songs or riffs and what not has got to be dull.

If the teacher is a prick and won't adapt his lesson to what you want find a more laid back teacher or do what the teacher tells you but take some time to expirement and play some easy song on your own too.

Theres a thread on easy beginer songs try some tabs of some easy songs that are the type of stuff you want to get into. We won't tell the teacher lol. Do you have any friends that play anything call them up thats when it gets fun.
Quote by Freepower
Yeah, he's teaching you the right stuff. Learning "theory" is part of learning to take control of your sound, and you're doing well if you're onto barre chords and can play em properly.

Its the "right stuff" at the wrong time IMO. teaching theory to someone at 3 months is like teaching algebra to a 1st grader, sure its "important", but is it appropriate?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You pay him. Tell your teacher to teach you theory, then.

im getting a new one this tuesday study theory on my own but dint get most of it :P

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal