http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z69/groman4/

Is there an acoustic guitar expert (or semi-expert) that could tell me what kind of guitar it is. I bought the guitar with a older hardshell case for $50 from someone just to use as a display at home. The guitar seems to be quite old, although in decent condition and plays nicely. There is no brand name or model number on the guitar. The only thing there is is a 4 digit number (serial number maybe) and Made in USA imprinted on the back of the headstock.

link to pictures: http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z69/groman4/

I dont know that much about guitars so i was just wondering if it truly is old, or just purchased at walmart 5 years ago and beat around.

Is there anything distinguishable that could tell around what year it is? who made it? was it truly made in usa?

If anyone has some insight, please share, any insight at all.

Thanks

Greg
Last edited by romo218 at Jun 13, 2008,
why put link 3 times?

looks like one old guitar! any details on the paper in the belly of the guitar?

edit: of course there isn't, it's f holes...

w
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
i didnt check (im a dummy when it comes to old guitars), i didnt see anything inside at a quick glance, im going to check it out tommorow because i left it at my fathers house.
Quote by romo218
i didnt check (im a dummy when it comes to old guitars), i didnt see anything inside at a quick glance, im going to check it out tommorow because i left it at my fathers house.

there's prolly nothing in there, because there are f-holes instead of one big hole in the middle

I don't know much of it either, but it looks kinda spanish... could be freaking ancient and worth alot or could be fake and crap alot
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by slidething31
I found this

http://www.guitarville.com/guitars/gibson/1937gibsonl37.htm

Looks similar to that, a gibson L-37. If thats what it is its worth a pretty penny.

Edit: Don't think its that though. The f holes look a bit different as well as the headstock.

looks similar, but the top is different, gibson's got this curl, his guitar's only got a bow...

would have been nice to have bought that for 50 bucks tough xDxD

W
wtf dude, that's like EXACTLY the case of the gibson referred to above O_O

W
i know thats why i just posted it now, i didnt think the case mattered. but when i saw the gibson gase i was like: uhh.....thats like exactly my case. where the buckles are, the width length and thickness, the stitching, where the handle is...everything

but i highly doubt its a gibson because of the headstock. maybe in 1910 gibson had a different head stock. probably not.. lol
look into the F hole anyway. i know violin makers put their paper labels in there, so theres no harm in looking.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yeah, its probably not that Gibson, but the similarities would suggest the same time period.

I would say take it in to a guitar shop and see if they can tell you anything.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
hey man, it could be a gretsch...

maybe^^

W
i cant remember im going to have to look tommorow all i remember is that its 4 digits.
now im really eager to check this thing out.

also it does have the 2 holes where a pickguard would be, it just didnt come with one already on it
Number Year
2000 -3000's = 1949-1950
4000 -5000's = 1951
5000 -6000's = 1952
6000 -8000's = 1953
9000 -12000's = 1954
12000-16000's = 1955
17000-21000's = 1956
22000-26000's = 1957
27000-30000's = 1958
30000-34000's = 1959
34000-39000's = 1960
39000-45000's = 1961
46000-52000's = 1962
53000-63000's = 1963
63000-77000's = 1964
77000-84000's = 1964-early 1965 (partial-new number scheme
started early 1965).

wow if it's really in the 4000's...

W
Gretsch New Yorker?

Link

EDIT: I take it back, i dont think it is that >.<
Last edited by jesus2nd at Jun 13, 2008,
wow, 95% match I think

W

edit: I also think it isn't 1940, but 1950, if the serial number starts with a 4

W
i already checked ebay for similar models, mine was the only one. would be nice if that new yorker had a full picture.
Last edited by romo218 at Jun 13, 2008,
something maybe distinguishable: each f hole is actually 3 different holes, instead of just one. maybe this can help some of you
Quote by jesus2nd
i still think its a gibson tbh,

check this website out, im gonna have to go soon

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

hmh, no pics:/
Quote by romo218
something maybe distinguishable: each f hole is actually 3 different holes, instead of just one. maybe this can help some of you

and that's just strange lol

W
there is... well, it's prolly gonna be a mistery for all eternity, with onlu "usa" and a series of 4 numbers... could be the 4056 guitar ever for freak's sake

W
Quote by Lord Waltaa
there is... well, it's prolly gonna be a mistery for all eternity, with onlu "usa" and a series of 4 numbers... could be the 4056 guitar ever for freak's sake

W

To be Honest i wouldn't be surprised if it was >.<, i'm determined to find out what it is though
ill have more info/pics tommorow or sunday. ill keep you guys posted

thanks a whole bunch for the help, im not as lost as i first started. those other guitars and serial number listings are freakishly close
Quote by romo218
ill have more info/pics tommorow or sunday. ill keep you guys posted

thanks a whole bunch for the help, im not as lost as i first started. those other guitars and serial number listings are freakishly close

yea, no prob, you made my evening exciting, my mum's been shouting to me to go to bed for like an hour now xD
goodnight.

W
aye, thats what i think...just need those serial numbers for certain, and take a deek inside the f holes see if anythings in there let us know (y)
is there a chance that this could be some cheap knockoff remake of an older guitar? or did they not make knockoffs of older guitars?
mmmm, I've been doing some research and some asking around on other forums and it does seem that "back in't day" there were a few knock offs floating around even if thats the case, I would still say you've got yourself a deal there if it plays nice
cool, im going to post on acoustic forums now and see what they say. Im also guessing it is a kay. I highly doubted it was some rediculously expensive guitar, but for $50, with case, I cant go wrong. Going over to my dads house for fathers day, should know a definite answer by monday.
Quote by romo218
I may have found it. its probably a harmony

http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H996/267.htm
thats the closest one i found.
its onew of the many on this link:
http://harmony.demont.net/family/Higher+end+archtop

That could be it, but the headstock on your guitar is rounded at the top and flat on the Harmony Vogue Model G. The other Harmony you posted, the Monterey, has a similar rounded headstock, but the Monterey's looks more pointed. Also, that Monterey has a somewhat distinctive branding on the headstock, and your's is missing it. Even if it was scratched off on your's at some point, it's likely that some of the branding would still be left behind and at least slightly visible.
So I'd say it's not a match.
It's likely a knock-off in my opinion, but it's still obviously a pretty damn old guitar, which is cool and all. For 50 bucks, though, I'd say it was a hell of a deal.
myspace.com/gtatfb
Last edited by rancid92 at Jun 14, 2008,
only inconsistency between all the harmony/kay/silvertone guitars and mine i can find, is the imprint serial number on back and the imprint USA on back. None of the harmony/kay/silvertone guitars ive seen so far have imprints even remotely similar. also, those guitars were made for cheap mass production, so chances are they wouldnt have serial numbers back then