How exactly do you USE this? I have it, I can make the different sounds with the crappy virtual amp. It has a 2 second delay which sucks, even thought latency is zero.

It only records on the right speaker though. It doesn't come out both. How can I fix this problem? And how can I record is Adobe Audition?
Quote by moody07747
read the manual for the interface then for Adobe.
also try Reaper or Audacity.

I've done Audacity. Still records in one speaker, and also doesn't pick up the virtual amp effects.

I've read manuals, I get nothing.
The fast track is setup so the inputs are a stereo pair. If you record to a mono track, set the input to Fast Track In Right (could be labeled as Fast Track In 2 not sure what will be used for a naming scheme), set the pan to center, and it should come out both.

As for the latency issue, try setting the buffer size in the M-Audio control panel as low as possible. 256 shouldn't cause any latency but it depends on how fast your computer is. Those virtual amps tend to be a bit of a CPU hog so your computer just might not be able to keep up with it.
Quote by wetoscar
The fast track is setup so the inputs are a stereo pair. If you record to a mono track, set the input to Fast Track In Right (could be labeled as Fast Track In 2 not sure what will be used for a naming scheme), set the pan to center, and it should come out both.

As for the latency issue, try setting the buffer size in the M-Audio control panel as low as possible. 256 shouldn't cause any latency but it depends on how fast your computer is. Those virtual amps tend to be a bit of a CPU hog so your computer just might not be able to keep up with it.

I did realize the problem with the stereo and mono thing.

I'm having problems having Adobe Audition pick up the virtual amp. It just does a horrible clean setting.
Last edited by TSelman at Jun 14, 2008,
Are you using the virtual amp as a stand alone program or as a plugin?
Quote by wetoscar
Are you using the virtual amp as a stand alone program or as a plugin?

Is there a way Adobe Audition can recognize it so Audition will pick up the virtual sound? All Audition picks up is a clean horrid sounding default channel.
So how do I get my recording program to notice the virtual sound, and have it come out at real time, not seconds later. Latency is at lowest.
Quote by TSelman
So how do I get my recording program to notice the virtual sound, and have it come out at real time, not seconds later. Latency is at lowest.

are you using high speed connections (USB 2.0 or Firewire) and ASIO drivers? Try DLing ASIO4ALL and see if that helps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
are you using high speed connections (USB 2.0 or Firewire) and ASIO drivers? Try DLing ASIO4ALL and see if that helps.

I'm an idiot. I plugged my headphones into the interface, changed the ASIO, now I hear it real time. But I still don't know how to have Audition pick it up.
Okay, so I got Guitar Rig 3, I played in that, virtual stuff works, I recorded, in Tape Deck it plays back fine. But in anything else it plays a clean setting again. HELP!
You'll have to add the virtual amp as a insert on the track your recording to inside Audition. Running your virtual amp as a stand alone program isn't going to work for you, you'll have to use it as a plugin.

When using the virtual amp as an insert, the virtual amp won't affect what's being recorded, it only affects what's being played back.

Signal flow would be:

guitar->interface input->record track->insert(virtual amp)->stereo bus of DAW-> interface output->speakers.

You have to bounce to disk to get a playable file with the virtual amp being used.

I suggest reading through www.tweakheadz.com to get a better understanding of all this.
dont mean to hijack here, but i just bought the same unit too.

i have reaper but how do i get reaper to read the fast track thing so i can record?

i installed everything and have ASIO4ALL from having FL studio.
Quote by dfc_jebus

i have reaper but how do i get reaper to read the fast track thing so i can record?

I found out in wherever you edit, there should be something about adding VSTs.

Go to the help section and search VST, see what it says.
hmmm... maybe i struck it lucky cos i run my guitar rig 3 first and then i open cubase. All my sounds are as played. When i tried running the guitar rig plugin with cubase i got the worst latency ever. GR3 first and then cubase... that works for me. Ihave a rough demo on my page, you welcome to try it

***EDIT: the bundled software with the m-audio fast track is absolutely crap... imo*-***
Last edited by evolucian at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by dfc_jebus

I use fast track and reaper.

Basically go to options - preferences - sound - audio (or something like that) in there it allows you to select the input device which will by default likely be your sound card. M-audio fast track device should be in the drop down menu, switch to that, close the window, pick your track to record on and play away.

Then basically whenever you want to switch to a track recorded through your mic you have to go back into options-preferences and change the input.

I would LOVE to know how the OP managed to get his guitar coming out in real time... I have been completely unable to do this and damn is it frustrating to have to record everything without knowing what it sounds like as you play it I downloaded ASIO4ALL but then when I tried to apply it in Reaper it was a gongshow, I lost the drop down menu to select the fast-track device and basically couldn't do anything... so I uninstalled that jank.

So yeah I still have that impossible-to-live-with 2 second delay if I play and have it come back through speakers or headphone

I've been pretty unimpressed with the fast-track overall between this and the fact I don't get enough gain without running guitar through a real amp before fast track device, and the fact I have to add a digital amp to have it sound like anything but shit.

When you bought guitar rig 3 what did it cost? and would you recommend it?
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
someone in the states could possibly answer how much it is cos my country loves adding extra just for fun. I would really recommend guitar rig 3 despite reading some bad reviews from another poster. Because i play multiple styles, i need something that will give me amazing cleans, brilliant reverb and very cool delays. The reverb is always something i judge a program on before i judge the distortion and overdrive effects.

The program has alot of presets though as with many programs, the more there are, the less you're actually going to use. The sound clarity took a major leap from guitar rig 2 as well. Bluesy overtones with the tube screamer with added warmth. I play a customised strat so getting warmth is important as strats do have shrieky moments. There are nice presets for the higher gain stages too. I'm also picky when it comes to distortion and this program satisfies immensely. I'd recommend it.

As for getting sound at a mere 8ms latency (thats what it says though there isn't any hesitation), my sample rate is at about 256 and sometimes 128, depending on the mood of my machine at the time. I first run guitar rig, then i open cubase (I did the same with sonar7) and then i record. I don't use cubase's or sonar's direct monitoring as there is a huge delay there. My sound runs out into the hifi (of all things) and i then run another cable to my amp (from the module's headphone output) for extra monitoring (which isn't needed at all); the sound difference is merely that the amp is brighter (Fender hot rod deluxe) but still warm. Of course my pickups add alot too but thats neither here nor there. The track on my page is unedited with all volumes up between the two sections so its a rather quiet piece of equipment (the fast track pro).

I'll probably post another track in a few days which will be multi-styled so anyone into a particular style can see if they're happy with the sound.

Hope this helps... enjoy