First off, if your a purist who wants to bash me and say that an HSS strat is blasphemy, then please leave.

So anyways, as soon as I sell my Vox I'm gonna get some money. And I need a humbucker for some heavier tones. I love my strat for the neck pickup, it's easily the most beautiful clean tone possible. And it sounds great lightly overdriven. But I also play harder stuff too... the wimpy, trebley, nasty bridge pickup just doesn't cut it.

What's a good bridge humbucker for under $100? I was looking at Dimarzios and Seymour Duncans but there's so many of them... I'm looking for tones such as Dave Navarro in Jane's Addiction or Mike Einziger of Incubus. And also, will I need to change from 500K to 250 pots?
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
So you have an SSS strat that you want to be turned into an HSS, right? I'd go for a single spaced humbucker in that case, that'll save you from having to modify the body to install a regular sized humbucker. Be aware that a single spaced humbucker does not sound exactly like a normal humbucker, it still has a hint of a single coil. Anyway, those things can still give your strat a distinctive rock voice. My guitar teacher uses one, a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, in his Strat and gets brilliant rock sounds. I have heard good things about the Dimarzio Super Distortion S too. Beware though, if that thing is anything like the normal sized Super Distortion humbucker, it'll have quite some output and gain.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 13, 2008,
^thanks for the reply, but I don't mind going full sized humbucker, I've checked under the guard and it's HSS route and my friend can give me an HSS pickguard so it's all good there. I'm really open to any suggestions, thanks for yours
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
^but will I need to change the pots to 500k? I heard 250K are good for single coils, 500k for humbuckers... does it really matter? And thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I have a Dimarzio Tone Zone thats in a single coil form, it has a great heavy tone to it. You might want to check it out
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by red star
^but will I need to change the pots to 500k? I heard 250K are good for single coils, 500k for humbuckers... does it really matter? And thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

i didn't and it sounds fine, so mine is still 250k
i have a duncan invader in my mim and love it.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 15, 2008,
Yeah, don't buy single coil sized humbucker (I know you don't intend to, but I just want to make you sure about this ). I have a Seymour Hot Rails in the bridge, and it's the worst pickup I've ever heard. It sucks big time.